Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Ok, what does one do with those "innards" you find inside a chicken? In turkeys, they are usually taken out and put in a little pouch. I do know, from my mother, to remove the liver or if you cook with that inside it will ruin the turkey, the bile comes out and is bitter I imagine the same for a chicken......

Tonight I'm roasting a 6 lb chicken, and, remembering Mom's cooking, I poked inside and found the "innards" This must be a chicken for advanced cooks, they were NOT put in a separate baggie!

Ok, so I pulled out what appears to be a heart, liver, neck, altogether, appears to be at least 1/2 pound of "stuff" I put it in a baggie in the fridge, wondering, WTD with it?

Besides cook it up and give to the cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:25 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
We always cook the heart and neck and wing tips in chicken broth with an onion and some celery while the turkey is cooking. It makes a great broth to use in gravy. I bought some turkey necks at the grocery the other day to use for the broth. We always need more broth to use to make more gravy....need it for pot pies!!!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My husband cooks the giblets.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
dirty rice

Old 11-04-2014, 11:56 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
Save the neck for stock. I like to stick the liver and heart on skewers, put a little S+P on them, and then grill them as a snack while I wait for the fire to get going in the smoker for the whole chicken.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
My mother used to boil them until tender, then chop them up and use for dressing, also, used the broth. That's turkey innards. I just don't know what to do with these chicken parts, they're really too small to make any type of meal out of, I think I might just cook them up and serve to the cats!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My mother used to boil them until tender, then chop them up and use for dressing, also, used the broth. That's turkey innards. I just don't know what to do with these chicken parts, they're really too small to make any type of meal out of, I think I might just cook them up and serve to the cats!
I am with you. Used to buy chicken liver for TwoStep.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:29 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I put the innards in a container and freeze them. When I have more than a few in the freezer, I boil everything, chop up the gizzards, liver and hearts, shred the meat from the neck and give it to the dogs, along with the broth.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, what does one do with those "innards" you find inside a chicken? In turkeys, they are usually taken out and put in a little pouch. I do know, from my mother, to remove the liver or if you cook with that inside it will ruin the turkey, the bile comes out and is bitter I imagine the same for a chicken......

Tonight I'm roasting a 6 lb chicken, and, remembering Mom's cooking, I poked inside and found the "innards" This must be a chicken for advanced cooks, they were NOT put in a separate baggie!

Ok, so I pulled out what appears to be a heart, liver, neck, altogether, appears to be at least 1/2 pound of "stuff" I put it in a baggie in the fridge, wondering, WTD with it?

Besides cook it up and give to the cats
What I did last night with them....wrap them up and put in the trash.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I put the innards in a container and freeze them. When I have more than a few in the freezer, I boil everything, chop up the gizzards, liver and hearts, shred the meat from the neck and give it to the dogs, along with the broth.
your on the right track

you can marinate them necks and throw some veggies in a pot and make up a hearty soup

fricassee up them gizzards, liver, and hearts with a few spices and make some dirty rice

good eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink