Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how did you cook it ?? and how did it come out??

what brand was it and would you buy the same next year?

while fresh in our memories, this will be good reading for all of us, and a great reference for next yr

we had a jennie-o .59lb turkey and it was delicious- we lost power
so we simmered it in water in an outside propane cooker
it came out great!!
I don't know the brand, because granddaughter brought it, but I do know they deep fried it. The only problem, it was so small and I like a larger one, there is just not enough meat on a little guy. I would not have one nearly as small again.

I am sorry you lost power, I hope you have it back now: I know a lot of people had problems, we were lucky, it was cold but not too bad and very sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:24 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
plainville farms are suppose to be very good turkeys

to get the golden brown skin, did you rub oil or butter on it?
Started with bacon to protect the breast. After an hour and half, removed bacon and basted it with stick of butter, put it back in. When the temp probe said it was ready, i looked at it and it was just a light golden color. Crispy too. I rubbed more butter and broiled it so it wouldn't overcook.

i think it was because it's so lean as I got very little drippings. The skin was paper thin and crispy. Really good. Not like other years where the turkey's skin was slightly thicker and crispy. I also got a lot more drippings and that deep color where I had to foil it to protect it from being burned.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Started with bacon to protect the breast. After an hour and half, removed bacon and basted it with stick of butter, put it back in. When the temp probe said it was ready, i looked at it and it was just a light golden color. Crispy too. I rubbed more butter and broiled it so it wouldn't overcook.

i think it was because it's so lean as I got very little drippings. The skin was paper thin and crispy. Really good. Not like other years where the turkey's skin was slightly thicker and crispy. I also got a lot more drippings and that deep color where I had to foil it to protect it from being burned.
good idea on the broiling!!

I also like the bacon and stick of butter ....all flavor and moisture!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:09 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
I had a Trader Joe's brined fresh turkey. Not overly impressed. I think I don't like the added salt of the brining process. I did like TJ's idea of putting an fresh herb butter under the skin and later basting the turkey with melted herbed butter. I would try that again, but not the brined turkey.

I dislike big frozen turkey's no matter how cheap they are. I really prefer fresh.

Sadly, Plainville Farms turkey is not what it used to be.I have vivid childhood memories of going out to the original, local Plainville Turkey farm to buy our Thanksgiving turkey. They sold out to a company, Hain Foods, a few years ago, and the turkey farm moved from Plainville, NY (outside of Syracuse) to PA. Very sad to drive by the old Plainville turkey farms buildings that are mostly abandoned, and know there are no more turkeys being raised there. It just doesn't taste the same to me, but maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,454,810 times
I bought a 16.5 lb organic free range turkey from a butcher in Richmond, VA. It was absolutely the best turkey I have ever had.

I did not brine it, we did stuff it (I don't care what professional chefs say, it is not Thanksgiving for us without stuffing from inside the birds) and roasted it for 5 hours at 325. It was moist, full of remarkable flavor and it looked like it belonged on the cover of a magazine. I will always buy my bird from this butcher!!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and a delicious turkey!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post

Sadly, Plainville Farms turkey is not what it used to be.I have vivid childhood memories of going out to the original, local Plainville Turkey farm to buy our Thanksgiving turkey. They sold out to a company, Hain Foods, a few years ago, and the turkey farm moved from Plainville, NY (outside of Syracuse) to PA. Very sad to drive by the old Plainville turkey farms buildings that are mostly abandoned, and know there are no more turkeys being raised there. It just doesn't taste the same to me, but maybe I'll try it again sometime.
I did like the flavor a lot and I am not a fan of turkeys normally. I looked it up on their site and they are indeed supposed to be leaner than most turkeys. That explains the lack of drippings and extra crisp skin. If I make turkey again and can't get it from a farm locally here, I would buy this brand again.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:27 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
John brought home a Ho-KA something I never heard of before. I just asked him to find something that hadn't been injected with anything. It was a fresh bird and I had to put it in the freezer for a couple of days which I hated to do. I marinaded it in apple cider breast side down for a couple of hours and left the cider in the cavity all night long. If you leave it breast side down all night the skin won't crisp up. I did an olive oil rub with some Tarragon, Italian seasoning, and Paprika. In the cavity of the bird I put an orange with slits cut in it and a peeled onion with cloves stuck in it every where. I cooked it uncovered at 350 for the first hour until it was brown then I covered it with foil and cooked it at 325 for three more hours. It was awesome and the gravy was spectacular.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I bought a 16.5 lb organic free range turkey from a butcher in Richmond, VA. It was absolutely the best turkey I have ever had.

I did not brine it, we did stuff it (I don't care what professional chefs say, it is not Thanksgiving for us without stuffing from inside the birds) and roasted it for 5 hours at 325. It was moist, full of remarkable flavor and it looked like it belonged on the cover of a magazine. I will always buy my bird from this butcher!!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and a delicious turkey!
no stuffing is the one thing about smoked or deep fried turkey I don't like. Yes, you can make dressing instead of stuffing but it isn't the same and certainly doesn't take the same.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Two 23lb Willie Bird fresh young organic turkeys. I didn't buy them but was enlisted to prepare them. Brined them for about 14 hours them indirect cooked them on two Weber kettles. Smoked for the first two hours breast side down with apple wood. Then turned over for the last three hours kept at 350.

Tasted great but no different than the brined Foster Farms turkeys I get from Costco at several dollars less per lb. As a matter of fact everyone who has eaten my turkeys in the past that I bought made the same comment much to the dismay of the person who bought the over priced birds. They didn't realize they were eating frou-frou overpriced "free range" birds. LOL

Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Mine was a store brand turkey breast ball and it was great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink