Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:58 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
how did you cook it ?? and how did it come out??
It was Ok I guess........ I have OPEN FACED TURKEY SANDWICHES (Bread underneath with gravy poured on) it was OK this year but I didnt have good bread! (It had SKIM MILK in it and didnt taste very good)

I really am getting sick of it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
It was Ok I guess........ I have OPEN FACED TURKEY SANDWICHES (Bread underneath with gravy poured on) it was OK this year but I didnt have good bread! (It had SKIM MILK in it and didnt taste very good)

I really am getting sick of it!!!!!

skim milk is more healthy for you so you should feel good about it

doesn't matter how anything tastes anymore- just as long as its healthier

buy the regular milk and enjoy it...live a little

I like chocolate milk and could drink a gallon a day

open faced turkey sandwiches use to be one of my favorites !!

Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yep. I'm highly suspicious of people who say they've never done it. LOL
I did it for the first time tonight, but intentionally so as I didn't want to thaw the turkey before cooking

Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
I brined and smoked last years turkey. It was a fresh turkey, don't remember the brand, but it was very tasty! It was the first time I did one on the BGE as I usually use the off-set smoker. I used Kingsford charcoal mixed with cherry chunks.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:35 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I brined and smoked last years turkey. It was a fresh turkey, don't remember the brand, but it was very tasty! It was the first time I did one on the BGE as I usually use the off-set smoker. I used Kingsford charcoal mixed with cherry chunks.
That looks amazing! I need to try that method sometime.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I’ve had a fresh turkey, and most of the grocery store frozen brands. They all come out good, but I don’t think the fresh turkey is so much better that it justifies the cost.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve had a fresh turkey, and most of the grocery store frozen brands. They all come out good, but I don’t think the fresh turkey is so much better that it justifies the cost.
you are correct...in fact just like fish fillets....I believe frozen can be fresher and safer...

thanksgiving time they are processing a 100 million turkeys...…..and if its fresh you have 4 days to sell....so from the processor trucked to the warehouse....received and slotted can be an easy 2-3 days ….then to the store... the store is screwed if he/she can only put 2 days on fresh turkeys....thats why they are allowed to be transported I believe at 26 degrees use to be zero degrees... and they can be as chilled/frozen as a frozen turkey at 1.00 more per pound because it says fresh..

ive always been please with marvel, shadybrook, jennie o butterballs, jaindls .. Plainville,

Old 09-04-2018, 07:06 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you are correct...in fact just like fish fillets....I believe frozen can be fresher and safer...

thanksgiving time they are processing a 100 million turkeys...…..and if its fresh you have 4 days to sell....so from the processor trucked to the warehouse....received and slotted can be an easy 2-3 days ….then to the store... the store is screwed if he/she can only put 2 days on fresh turkeys....thats why they are allowed to be transported I believe at 26 degrees use to be zero degrees... and they can be as chilled/frozen as a frozen turkey at 1.00 more per pound because it says fresh..

ive always been please with marvel, shadybrook, jennie o butterballs, jaindls .. Plainville,
Good to know. I will add that I prefer a turkey that hasn’t been shot up with faux butter, or whatever it is, a turkey shouldn’t need that.

Hmmm. I just remembered I have some turkey thighs in the freezer. That sounds like dinner.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I usually choose Butterball.

But doing a dry brine makes a turkey really good. That’s the way I do them now. You let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge with the salt brine mix for a couple or three days.

People always respond favorably to it.

I don’t think the brand makes that much differance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink