Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:04 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times

Advertisements

Used kroger private select bird. Usually use butterball but they only had 15lbs an under in stock. Followed the posted directions,added some herbs etc in cavity,tented with foil and voila. That pop up timer takes out the guess work. My SO and I were just talking about how many ppl dont like turkey because its dry. No its not, Its just so many ppl over cook it. I think older people were scared into over doing it by fear of salmonella or underdone turkey at the table. I still know ppl who ignore the pop up and cook an extra hour just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:37 PM

17,401 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Butterball - turned out really well.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:41 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
24 pound shady brook farms fresh from the local butcher. The white meat was moist and tender and when we took the turkey out of the roasting pan the wings fell off. I think in the 30 years my mom has hosted Thanksgiving we had one turkey that was tough. It was free range and my mom will never buy free range turkey again.Isn't dressing and stuffing the same thing?? What's the difference? My mom always threw away the gizzards, liver heart etc... but always cooked the neck. This year I was told not too throw them out. Hubby wanted them. I cooked them in a fry pan but I think they would have tasted better if cooked in the pan with the turkey. My mom said she did not want those in the pan because they gross her out. Me too but I still would have let them cook in the drippings.

Last edited by lubby; 11-29-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 03:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
24 pound shady brook farms fresh from the local butcher. The white meat was moist and tender and when we took the turkey out of the roasting pan the wings fell off. I think in the 30 years my mom has hosted Thanksgiving we had one turkey that was tough. It was free range and my mom will never buy free range turkey again.Isn't dressing and stuffing the same thing?? What's the difference? My mom always threw away the gizzards, liver heart etc... but always cooked the neck. This year I was told not too throw them out. Hubby wanted them. I cooked them in a fry pan but I think they would have tasted better if cooked in the pan with the turkey. My mom said she did not want those in the pan because they gross her out. Me too but I still would have let them cook in the drippings.
dressing and stuffing isn't the same

the food network channel,,,treats "stuffing" like the plaque

I use to think it is the same just different regional terms,,,stuffing is bread based and dressing is not- think I heard alton brown say that a couple yrs ago

there is a vote for shadybrook turkey!!!

Old 11-29-2014, 05:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
H-E-B (Texas grocery chain) fresh turkey. Brined it for a couple of days in a cider-based brine, then put some compound butter under the skin. It was only about 13 pounds, so roasted it a couple of hours in one of those Reynolds Oven Bags. Not quite brown enough when done, so I torched it a bit while it rested. Perfect!

I think the difference is stuffing is cooked inside the bird,while dressing is cooked separately. At least in my usage, what it's made from doesn't matter. I often use a rice-based stuffing with game birds.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
We get a free Butterball every year through DH's employer. This was the first time that we fried the turkey and it was the best that I have ever made. DH, who generally does not like turkey, says that he wants to do another one for Christmas, so I know that it was really good.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
We get a free Butterball every year through DH's employer. This was the first time that we fried the turkey and it was the best that I have ever made. DH, who generally does not like turkey, says that he wants to do another one for Christmas, so I know that it was really good.

two yrs ago in a store parking lot we put on a fried turkey cooking demo
we cooked/fried 19 turkeys at the same time , then sampled them to the public and donated them to the local soup kitchen

more and more people seem to be frying them ... i like em like that too

Old 11-29-2014, 06:15 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Honeysuckle White for $.79 a pound, and the pop up was accurate (not that I ever trust it) It was very good. Four hours (stuffed) for a 15 pounder at 325.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:12 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I had a Trader Joe's brined fresh turkey. Not overly impressed. I think I don't like the added salt of the brining process. I did like TJ's idea of putting an fresh herb butter under the skin and later basting the turkey with melted herbed butter. I would try that again, but not the brined turkey.
We got a 22lb TJ's brined fresh turkey as well for $1.99/lb. It turned out pretty good, but I think I overcooked it; 4 hours at 350, which I thought was right for that size, but probably should have stopped at 3.5 hours. The meat was just soft enough to be yummy but not as tender as I hoped.

I rubbed it with olive oil outside and in, then sprayed it with soy sauce from a pump spray bottle. Stuffed it with thyme, celery, and parsley and cooked it in a Reynolds bag.

This is my 3rd or 4th turkey. Not my best. I payed $0.59/lb for a frozen one last year and it turned out about as good, maybe better.

I've joined an outdoors club for fishing and hunting practice. Maybe next year we'll eat a freshly caught bird!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yep. I'm highly suspicious of people who say they've never done it. LOL
Lol...both my mother and I have done it. She realized it about half way through the roasting when she went to start simmering the stuff for graveyard and couldn't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink