Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:50 PM

19,783 posts, read 22,680,815 times

Advertisements

4 goose breasts cured, dipped in apple brandy and coated with cracked pepper and coriander. Ready to hit the smoker for 3 hours at 145deg. Pastrami awaits...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 09:45 AM

Okay- that pastrami recipe? Not so great. I think it was too much instacure. It's edible, but I soaked the finished product in milk for several days to draw some of the saltiness out. Almost like country ham, not pastrami.

Trying a different recipe for goose pastrami today.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Okay- that pastrami recipe? Not so great. I think it was too much instacure. It's edible, but I soaked the finished product in milk for several days to draw some of the saltiness out. Almost like country ham, not pastrami.

Trying a different recipe for goose pastrami today.
how did the new recipe taste??

Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
how did the new recipe taste??
It's still in the brine. It won't be ready for the smoker until Monday or Tuesday.

It's a much simpler recipe-
2 goose breasts with the skin on (about 1 pound each)
2 tsp dry thyme
3 bay leaves
1 tsp whole cloves
3 cloves of garlic (smashed)
2 tsp whole juniper berries plus 1 tablespoon ground juniper berries to mix with ground black pepper4 cups water
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup kosher salt
1/10 ounce of insta cure # 1 (pink curing salt)

1 tablespoon black peppercorns, plus 2 tsp ground black pepper to roll the brined breasts in

Old 02-28-2015, 12:18 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
As some of you may have noticed on the 'What's for Dinner" thread, I cook with a lot of wild game. We typically harvest deer, elk, pheasants, grouse, ducks and geese throughout the season. We've tried a lot of different recipes, and I found this blogger's site and began trying some of his recipes- WOW! They are really good! He knows his stuff. We especially like the Maple Bourbon Duck recipe. Simply delicious.

Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

I'd love to hear from other folks that cook with wild game, your favorite recipes etc..
One of my, personal, favorites is venison chicken fried steak. Simple, but delicious. I spice the meat., before I take the mallet to it. Usually.fresh garlic, some seasoned salt and black pepper, and dash on some Basalmic vinegar, and let it marinade for a bit. Then I tenderize. The spices get beaten into the meat, then I toss the meat into whipped egg and let it soak. I use either crushed Saltines or Ritz crackers, or a mix, for the breading.

I like to use a mix of vegetable and olive oil to cook. (About 60-40 to the vegetable side) and fry at a more medium heat, cooking slower, until a nice , deep.golden. brown. A good quality, packaged, white gravy is fine, and sometimes I will add a can of cream of mushroom soup to it.and add my own spice mix. I prefer home fried potatoes on the side, (covered with gravy..YUMM.!) but mashed is oky doky as well. Green beans with bacon rounds it out maybe with French onions or sautéed' green onions on top, with a sprinkle of Parmesan and Mozzarella.

Leftover steak gets used for breakfast next day. Venison chicken fry with eggs.,over easy and gravy with home Fry's. Mmmmm...rib sticking, real food, that makes the health nuts cringe. Lmao

Old 02-28-2015, 12:27 PM

Our family loves that too, we call it schnitzel. Basically the same thing- pounded thin, dust with flour, then egg wash, then breading and fry until golden brown. We usually serve it with a jaeger style gravy (brown gravy with mushrooms and capers).

Old 03-03-2015, 06:35 PM

New batch of goose pastrami coming out of the smoker in about an hour. A day to set up in the fridge then we'll see how it tastes!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times
Back in 1997 i cam across a guy i grew up with the was a Chronic Paranoid Schizophrenic. Hadn't seen him in years and i found out he had been living in the woods/park for several months that adjoined the farm i lived on. He was hungry and i picked him up while he was going through a McDonald's sack in a ditch.

I took him home with me and i had just put a doe in the freezer about 65 lbs. He ate the whole thing in 30 days. All cooked over a campfire.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
You guys really make me homesick! I miss Alabama and the 10-12 meat does in the freezer.
Merlot or Guiness with bay leaf/juniper berry/clove/garlic make a great marinade. Heat before pouring over the meat but do not boil.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Goose pastrami!

Much, much better than my first go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink