Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

A gram or two of trans fats may not seem like a lot, but
even small amounts are bad for the heart.

From health.com

I guess the stick margarines are the worst from what I can read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My dear grandmother (who passed away at 99 years old) NEVER had margarine in her house. She ate eggs every day and butter with her toast and in her baking. She never had heart disease or any other ailments other than arthritis. She broke her hip at 99 and ended up with pneumonia that she died from or I swear she'd still be with us. Yes, I'm sure her good old English genes helped too

So who says butter isn't healthy? She even made her delicious, flakey pie crusts with butter, not shortening (blech) or lard.
Funny, my grandma died at 98...her hip broke at 94 came out ok...English genes, also!
(She willed herself to go. We all know that.) Never had a cold!

Blech-lard....BUT I had a pie crust once with lard ...I swear it was the flakiest ever!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
I buy margarine for baking and butter for eating. I read not to long ago (possibly on this forum) that there was no discernible taste difference of using butter over margarine in baking so I decided to save a few bucks and switch.
I would suggest that you do a taste-test comparison.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have been so frustrated by cookies spreading too much when I use butter. They seem to keep their shape better with margarine.
That's because of the plastic.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Like many, I grew up on margarine. In fact we called it butter. Older generations called it "oleo".

My wife uses Smart Balance. Is that margarine? I only know it's not butter and it's sold in the butter aisle.

I hear tell that in the state of Wisconsin, a big dairy state, margarine was not allowed to be dyed yellow until some time in the 1950's. Prior to that, wherever it was sold they gave you a yellow dye pack to mix into the white stuff to make it look like butter! In the 1930's, state food boards began allowing dye to be added at the factory.
I remember that. Up until I was five we lived on home made butter straight from the cow. Then we moved to the 'big city' and introduced to the "oleo" stuff. It looked like a bag of lard and had an orange pill inside. You had to 'massage' the bag to turn it yellow. That was my 'job'. lol Mom still called it "butter" so we did too.

One time, when I was about 12, Mom gave me some money and sent me to the store to get some "butter". That's what I got! Got home and she was shocked at the price, sent me back to trade it for margarine. lol

I haven't used margarine for over ten years. I stock up during the holidays and freeze it. I only use about a pound a month...or less...so it lasts me a long time.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I stock up during the holidays and freeze it.
I keep it stocked up in the freezer also. Can't run out! Crisis! LOL

Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I can't resist meddling here: maybe they'd be less hungry if they ate stuff cooked with butter?
Teenage boys? They're hungry no matter what you feed them. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am sure some people still buy margarine. Those who don't know much about it, don't care, or are on tighter budget.
Or ... they could just prefer the taste or mouth feel. Or they could be trying to avoid dairy products for whatever reason.

Butter has a very upfront taste and mouth feel. I can't put plain butter on toast - I whirl it with olive oil for spreading - because of the way it feels in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Ain't that stuff one molecule away from plastic
No, it ain't. Margarine is made out of vegetable oil, water, soy emulsifiers, beta carotene (to make it yellow) and sometimes buttermilk.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't use margarine. I buy the butter at Sam's because it's a little cheaper. We don't go through an overwhelming amount.

I've been thinking about making whipped butter so that my husband can butter bread more easily, but haven't tried it yet, probably because I don't eat bread so it's not much of a priority
I don't buy margarine. Ever.

I do take good butter such as French or Irish and whip it with a "healthy" oil. It makes it spreadable, and a bit healthier as you consume less butter but still retain that delish buttery taste.

I use one room temp block of unsalted euro butter (I believe it equals 2 sticks of regular unsalted butter) and I mix it with 1/3-1/2 cup of oil. I have used olive oil to the fancy healthy ones. In a small bowl, I mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt with a tbsp of hot water, stir till dissolved and then add this to the butter/oil mixture. Whip till doubled in volume and a pretty light yellow color. Then scrape into a tupperware. I do this about twice a month as we eat a lot of toasts!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
That's because of the plastic.
Plus chilling the dough helps with the spreading. I chill all cookie dough and it worked like a charm to keep it a nice plump circular shape.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:52 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I don't buy margarine. Ever.

I do take good butter such as French or Irish and whip it with a "healthy" oil. It makes it spreadable, and a bit healthier as you consume less butter but still retain that delish buttery taste.

I use one room temp block of unsalted euro butter (I believe it equals 2 sticks of regular unsalted butter) and I mix it with 1/3-1/2 cup of oil. I have used olive oil to the fancy healthy ones. In a small bowl, I mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt with a tbsp of hot water, stir till dissolved and then add this to the butter/oil mixture. Whip till doubled in volume and a pretty light yellow color. Then scrape into a tupperware. I do this about twice a month as we eat a lot of toasts!
That butter is so good, worth every penny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink