Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Like tea, for example? Me, it came because when I was chauffering Mom around, I was the designated driver and at meals, could only drink soft drinks and often I picked tea.

Over the years, I started having about 2-2.5 gallons in the frig and now, I quaff about half a gallon a day.

Or sunflower seeds in salads? Mom and I were up at a display at the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth and I had a salad in the cafeteria. Mine had the sunflower seeds and from that day on, when I make a salad, I toss in the seeds.

Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Compulsive taste for? I just must have Bread and Butter pickles
with my grilled cheese sandwich.

I must have Earl Gray tea and stevia in my house ... in case I want it.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Like tea, for example? Me, it came because when I was chauffering Mom around, I was the designated driver and at meals, could only drink soft drinks and often I picked tea.

Over the years, I started having about 2-2.5 gallons in the frig and now, I quaff about half a gallon a day.

Or sunflower seeds in salads? Mom and I were up at a display at the Kimbell Art Museum in Ft. Worth and I had a salad in the cafeteria. Mine had the sunflower seeds and from that day on, when I make a salad, I toss in the seeds.

Any others?
I don't think many people are compulsive about food......that's not health6...nutritionally or mentally. People have what they like..they have things they eat or drink on a regular basis.....buthe not be compulsive about.

I enjoy iced teas as well....normally have some in the fridge....but I am not compulsive about it and it's not an issue if we are out for some reason.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Let's change that word compulsive to dislike, please. I dislike low quality foods and badly prepared foods simply because I have grown accustom to quality ingredients and better modes of preparation.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:36 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,708,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Let's change that word compulsive to dislike, please. I dislike low quality foods and badly prepared foods simply because I have grown accustom to quality ingredients and better modes of preparation.
I don't think this OP means dislike though ....and from her other posts...yeh...she tends to show compulsive and food hording behaviors

Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't think this OP means dislike though ....and from her other posts...yeh...she tends to show compulsive and food hording behaviors
It's just a bit extreme for me, thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,519 times
I didn't see this question being about hoarding or over eating...seems to me she just has to have her salad with seeds now since she tried them and now she likes them on salad..just like Miss Hepburn likes her pickles with her sandwich...

Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
For those who are unclear about what the word "compulsive" means:

1. resulting from or relating to an irresistible urge, especially one that is against one's conscious wishes.
synonyms: irresistible, uncontrollable, compelling, overwhelming, urgent;
"a compulsive liar"
2. irresistibly interesting or exciting; compelling.
synonyms: fascinating, compelling, gripping, riveting, engrossing, enthralling, captivating
"this play is compulsive viewing"

It's simply something that you find very desirable and irresistible. No more than that, no less.

For me, I find a sweet snack in the evening irresistible. My current compulsion: ice cream sandwiches. I really never had a sweet tooth, so I don't know how it developed. But for the last 10 or so years, I've gotta have my sweet evening treat. I'm blaming age. Why not?

Old 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,476,137 times
What do I find irresistible? Cheese, all forms of cheese. I love learning about it, shopping for it and of course eating it. I was just eating a maple cherve on those Carr water crackers. Yummy! Now as to how this started, I just don't know. We never had fancy pants cheeses growing up. Maybe that's why I can't resist it now.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Irresistible urge to dunk my grilled cheese in ketchup each bite.

A compulsion to cut said sandwich diagonally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink