Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 11:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Didn't everyone do that back then? When my mother married, she learned how to cook using a coal stove. She had an ice box, too. I didn't have a microwave until the early '90s.

When I was six, my twelve year old sister asked me to teach her how to fry an egg. I was nice; I did. Then I had to teach her how to make coffee... then oatmeal. I used to get up during the school year and make my dad's morning coffee in the stove top percolator. Well, my brother and I would take turns. Who would put a six year old in charge of that? That'd probably be considered a form of child abuse now.
My mother learned to cook on a wood fired cooking stove.I remember eating meals fixed by my aunt on the same stove. She left the farm finally for good right after 1946 and that is when the farm got electricity
Times have sure changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I also have friends that don't even put salt in pasta or potatoes...not
even when mashing them for Thanksgiving....
laughing and they are always so terrible!
I can't hardly beleive people cook with absolutly so salt. I bet it tastes terrible: even the pasta, can be cooked with no salt, though it would have no flavor, but a sauce would help but ptotatos:OMGl!!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Didn't everyone do that back then? When my mother married, she learned how to cook using a coal stove. She had an ice box, too. I didn't have a microwave until the early '90s.

When I was six, my twelve year old sister asked me to teach her how to fry an egg. I was nice; I did. Then I had to teach her how to make coffee... then oatmeal. I used to get up during the school year and make my dad's morning coffee in the stove top percolator. Well, my brother and I would take turns. Who would put a six year old in charge of that? That'd probably be considered a form of child abuse now.
My dad was an electrical engineer so we used electricity for everything; he worked for the W&P in Los Angeles, but he didn't switch from the old fashion perculator until maybe the late 1950s. Until then we used the stove top kind. I think he and step mom finally switched to a coffe maker (probably the cheapest one Mr Coffee made) in about 1980, when the old electric one was past repairing anymore. He didn't have a micro either til maybe 1980 or later. In fact they rarely used it; my step mom kept her plastic meat wrappers in the micro. She was a little strange.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't hardly beleive people cook with absolutly so salt. I bet it tastes terrible: even the pasta, can be cooked with no salt, though
it would have no flavor....... but potatoes:OMGl!!!!
I know, right?

So a health foody girlfriend , like me, is doing org, grass fed bone broth ...I brought mine over...
she said (to compare)...I knew there would be no comparison...
she did not use one grain of salt!!!!...
No herbs either!!! Nothing....I had curry, parsnips, garlic, carrots and on and on,
then strained it
...she LOVED it!
Well, of course! It had flavor!

Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Back when I was in junior high (and we had to walk to school 3 miles up hill both ways) we were taught basic cooking and sewing skills. We had to DO it -- it wasn't theoretical. At the end of the term, we held a party where we cooked the menu and our parents came to class to eat what we had made.

Then the next term we learned sewing skills. And yeah -- embroidery.

All this stuff was cut. It's old fashioned to cook, and sew and embroider... all things I love to do.... and did before I had to learn them in school.
did you walk up the hill both ways in the snow like my dad did? /we only waked a mile or two and not uphill, of course we were more the modern types, in the modern days;; yes, the 1940 and 50..

I do remember the classes, but we did ours a little different: we had sewing or clothing as it was called the fist semester of the 7th grade. We made aprons and if time permitted skirts. They we used our aprons for our foods class the second semester. i actually had a cooking teacher in the 7th grade who's last name was Mrs. Spoon. I kid you not. I might add she was my least favorite Home ed teacher of all time. How I fell in love with the world of food, I will never know. Obviously my dad had more influence tha Mrs Spoon.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Quote:
I disagree that you have to be able to read to learn to cook. Just watch the cooking shows on PBS. You will learn if you pay attention. Watch the sames shows over when they rerun them.
Boy what an exciting life. That is like watching paint dry, when you watch cooking show re-runs.

Quote:
I also have friends that don't even put salt in pasta or potatoes...not
even when mashing them for Thanksgiving....
laughing and they are always so terrible!
Quote:
I can't hardly beleive people cook with absolutly so salt. I bet it tastes terrible: even the pasta, can be cooked with no salt, though it would have no flavor, but a sauce would help but ptotatos:OMGl!!!!
Have you considered that there may be a health reason. Someone in the household may be on a no salt diet due to Heart Problems, etc. I know I am. I use other things than salt to flavor the portions I eat.

My cardiologists and there have been several over the years, plus the hospital dietitians all say that one should never salt water, etc., like you do. As too much salt can lead to heart trouble, strokes, etc. They say that without adding salt to water when cooking, it is a lot healthier to add after on the plate as people will get less salt. Salt also draws the potassium out of the body, and that lack of potassium is a serious health threat. I know I have to take 8 10mg potassium pills a day to keep my body healthy and to protect my heart.

Read and learn about the problems caused by using salt like you apparently do.

Medical Dangers of Too Much Sodium | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

7 Health Risks of Eating Too Much Salt : 3FatChicks on a Diet! – Diet & Weight Loss Support

Instead of laughing at those that will not salt the water, consider there may be a very big reason they do not salt. It is a lot healthier if no one ever salts water they cook in, as it makes them exceed the amount that is safe to use for a healthy life.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
My friend that doesn't use salt is obese and her gay guy roommate, best friend,
is obese and pre-diabetic.
There is no place for fat to go anymore that is how obese they are,
and I love them, just giving the facts...so don't be getting mad at me.

I am slender with low blood pressure...I laugh, but I know they can
not use salt.
And am careful when I cook for them...and they thank me.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:30 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,068,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't understand the point in chastising others (women?) for their lack of skill in the kitchen. Some people simply have other priorities. I've been a SAHM since my oldest was born, and I taught myself to prepare meals for my family. I enjoy my time in the kitchen, and I have plenty of time available to spend chopping, sautéing, braising, and simmering. My mother, on the other hand, did not cook, but she was very successful in her career, and her earnings ensured we ate well. I very much look up to my mom, and the fact that someone else prepared most of our meals in no way diminishes my high opinion of her. I would never in a million years characterize her as clueless or lazy. How insulting! She was simply focused on her professional life where her skill and talent found their greatest expression.
This.

Some folks like to cook, some like to bake, some like to write code or compose a song or tend a garden.

Some would rather put their time (*their* time) toward spending time with their children.

Some would rather read or paint or rebuild car engines.

Some would rather watch a movie.

Some would rather use that time to have fantastic sex (or mediocre sex, which is still better than the best of meals, in MY opinion).

Everybody has different interests - that is what makes life interesting.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:12 PM

436 posts, read 420,810 times
Salting is a matter of preference. I would rather see someone using it as a spice rather than the only flavoring method. "Salt and pepper" are NOT the only way to season something.

Woodbury - I agree, cooking is something like a hobby or artform. Everyone should know some basics, but getting creative with recipes and techniques takes interest and dedication. Same thing with, say, lawn care. Some people mow their grass, plant a bush or two, voila. Other people plant all sorts of seasonal landscaping, do all sorts of advanced fertilizing techniques, prune their bushes into shapes and make checkerboard lines in their grass. And then there are all those people in between. (I guess the person who NEVER cooks and just eats out is like the guy who has a concrete slab instead of a yard!) Some people can barely type an email and browse to Netflix, while other people need to write code to modify any and all programs they use, or apps, or whatever is fashionable. It's all a spectrum.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It's all what you're used to. Food actually has flavor without salt, even potatoes and pasta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink