Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I make my own salad dressing, an herb vinaigrette that I keep in a flip-top glass bottle, about once a month, but you'll have to pry me away from the prewashed salad greens. I love them, and I don't care how much they cost! Every spring I put in a bed of mesclun and harvest it all summer, but it's a pain to clip and wash. By summer's end, I'm tired of dealing with it, and I'm all over those boxed greens.
I don't even mix dressing up in advance most of the time...I usually dress my salads with a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of either lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, and whatever herbs and spices I feel like, shook on top. Or, sometimes, I just dice up an avocado and toss that in...instantly dressed salad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 08:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,696,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I like food but I do not want to elevate its importance.......thawed 1/2 chicken, into oven, cook until kinda done, eat!
Uh, gross?

No undercooked chicken for me.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:06 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,681,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Uh, gross?

No undercooked chicken for me.

I guess I should have said "looks done".

You know, when you want to eat and you are pretty sure the bird is done..........it happens!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,916,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
...I like food but I do not want to elevate its importance...
WTH does that even mean? I elevate the food I prepare to the best it can be - it will look great and taste great.

Who wants to be presented with an insipid, uninspiring boiled chicken breast on a paper plate?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,567,704 times
I would love to learn from people who can. I am a guy and have to see it visually. I cant just read a recipe and go about finding the ingredients and amounts unless someone shows me the first time at least. I can then do the same recipe after seeing them do it.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
WTH does that even mean? I elevate the food I prepare to the best it can be - it will look great and taste great.

Who wants to be presented with an insipid, uninspiring boiled chicken breast on a paper plate?
Not everyone likes food all that much...to them an unreasoned broiled chicken is pretty much the same as a meal from The French Laundry. It's not...but not everyone is a foodie and that okay....the ability to enjoy food is not a moral issue.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I would love to learn from people who can. I am a guy and have to see it visually. I cant just read a recipe and go about finding the ingredients and amounts unless someone shows me the first time at least. I can then do the same recipe after seeing them do it.

I can teach you how to cook via email, a recipe is a guideline that you can change to your specific tastes if you want to.
There are a few key points that you need to remember when learning to cook something new (in my opinion) but they are easy to remember and easier to do.

If you are a visual person go to youtube or the food network or look up Fabio Viviani and watch videos of those who interest you.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,359,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
who taught you to cook?

i do well with cooking but my mother also showed me lots of things in the kitchen growing up

I actually taught myself how to cook and I read cookbooks like regular books.
I make the recipe exactly as written the first time then change it the second time and beyond.
After we got cable I watched several programs on the food network and learned some things but overall I taught myself how to cook with lots of error and lots of trial.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,916,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Not everyone likes food all that much...the ability to enjoy food is not a moral issue.
Moral issue?!?! Am I in the correct thread? Who said anything about morality?

Old 02-16-2015, 12:21 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,227,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I actually taught myself how to cook and I read cookbooks like regular books.
I make the recipe exactly as written the first time then change it the second time and beyond.
After we got cable I watched several programs on the food network and learned some things but overall I taught myself how to cook with lots of error and lots of trial.
This is definitely a good way to go, as long as you pay some attention to the results of what you get and judge them critically. Just be sure to use whatever time is available to you to better understand why it worked, why it may have gone wrong, or how you can improve it. You can use cookbooks, advice from friends, and the internet to learn more. I'm continually trying different things by trial and error, but I do it as an informed process based on some research.

Using the example of cooking chicken I think it's great that someone is throwing a chicken in the oven. The next steps are to look at how to improve it. You can brine it to make it juicier. The legs and thighs are a different type of meat, that should be cooked at lower temps to higher finished temp to make them tender. The breasts shouldn't be overcooked to avoid drying them out. Both should be browned/crisped at some point in the process to improve the flavor. Those are the basics, and then you can start messing around with throwing some ginger, chile powder, garlic, soy....whatever, to get some different flavors. Unfortunately I think too many recipes concentrate on the ingredients before the cooking techniques, and you need to get the techniques figured out before messing around with the ingredients to flavor it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink