Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:43 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Me too! I add a little butter and salt to it when I put it in the rice cooker, Jasmine is good too.
Thanks for the tip. I've never tried Jasmine. I'll have to get some and give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 05:27 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've never tried Jasmine. I'll have to get some and give it a try.
So many great ideas. I prefer the white rice; like the brown. but even in my rice cooker, seems gummy.

Like the white rice only add Blue bonnet, because sometimes I make rice pudding...........pretty good stuff and easy! I also make fried rice....I am hooked on rice. Know it is starchy, so I eat smaller portions, these days, the pre-diabetic thingy.................

Old 12-19-2015, 06:06 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
I love a mixure of brown and wild rice, but my favorite is Basmati, white rice. They sell it brown also, but I like the white variety. I find it in the rice section at most grocery stores. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. I love it just with salt and butter to get the original nutty/popcorn flavor. You don't have to add any spices or soy sauce to it. YUM!

Hint for cooking rice in a rice cooker: add about 1/8 of a cup LESS water than the recipe calls for and let it sit in the cooker for 10 minutes after the timer goes off.

What Is Basmati Rice?

Definition: Basmati rice is a type of rice grown in the Himalayas and Pakistan. It is a long grain rice that is characterized by a light nutty flavor. Definition: Basmati rice is a type of rice grown in the Himalayas and Pakistan. It is a long grain rice that is characterized by a light nutty flavor.

Basmati rice is a rice popular not only for its flavor, but for its fragrance. It is remarkably long for a rice, and becomes longer still when cooked.
My go-to rice is Rice Select Texmati - very similar to Basmati. Grown in Texas IIRC:

Texmati® Rice | RiceSelect®

Texmati® is the most widely recognized brand of aromatic rice in the United States and frequently requested by name in leading magazines, newspapers and cookbooks. Our award-winning Texmati® White Rice combines the qualities of basmati with that of traditional American long-grain rice. Similar to basmati, Texmati® has a delightful aroma of popcorn and a delicious nutty flavor. Like traditional American long-grain rice, cooked grains swell in both length and width and are dry, separate and fluffy. Its delicious flavor, delightful aroma, unique texture and easy cooking characteristics set Texmati® White Rice apart from all other aromatics. It tastes great served on its own as a side dish, or is perfect in dishes that are enhanced by its fluffy texture and exotic aroma. Texmati® White Rice is also available certified as 100% U.S. organically grown. Star-K Kosher Certified.

It cooks up very light and fluffy when I cook it according to the package directions in my rice cooker.The company sells other kinds of rice as well. I've been impressed by the quality and the consistency of the product over the years. Robyn

Old 12-19-2015, 07:08 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
We prefer brown, but will eat both. Brown spoils a lot quicker so i don't keep it on hand like I do the white.

I can't stand eating just plain rice. I usually substitute chicken bullion for salt when I make it.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Brown, long grain and wild rice, parboiled, and basmati are my favorites. I like just about all of them. The trick to making good rice is to cook it slow on very low heat. Patience is a virtue when cooking rice. I found rice cookers don't do as good a job as the good old fashioned pot on the stove method. I can't stand instant rice; too mushy and tasteless. I'm a rice fiend. But I'm an Indian girl, so it's in the genes

Old 12-19-2015, 09:49 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
I like rice, but since the report came out showing some rice has high levels of arsenic in it, I've hesitated to eat it more often. Do a Google search on the topic.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:24 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
Quote:
I love a mixure of brown and wild rice, but my favorite is Basmati, white rice. They sell it brown also, but I like the white variety. I find it in the rice section at most grocery stores. If you've never tried it, I highly recommend it. I love it just with salt and butter to get the original nutty/popcorn flavor. You don't have to add any spices or soy sauce to it. YUM!

Hint for cooking rice in a rice cooker: add about 1/8 of a cup LESS water than the recipe calls for and let it sit in the cooker for 10 minutes after the timer goes off.

What Is Basmati Rice?

Definition: Basmati rice is a type of rice grown in the Himalayas and Pakistan. It is a long grain rice that is characterized by a light nutty flavor. Definition: Basmati rice is a type of rice grown in the Himalayas and Pakistan. It is a long grain rice that is characterized by a light nutty flavor.

Basmati rice is a rice popular not only for its flavor, but for its fragrance. It is remarkably long for a rice, and becomes longer still when cooked.
We like this rice as well. I appreciate most kinds of rice depending on the dish. If its cooked properly its all good. I am surprised at a overall preference for brown.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times
Anyone like wild rice? Not my favorite but upscale and expensive.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:44 PM

24 posts, read 26,013 times
I love both. What I prefer for a meal depends on what I or mother is making. Chinese, Japanese, and Korean is always served with white rice (usually jasmine or "sushi" rice), while brown rice is served with anything. It tastes especially delicious with Spanish chicken stew or Moroccan beef stew, both of which I first tried at Panera, oddly/sadly enough.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I like all kinds of rice and have four different varieties in my pantry right now: brown long-grain, basmati, black, and wild rice (technically not rice but is consumed the same way).

We typically have brown rice with Mexican foods, basmati with mujadara (lentil & rice dish), black rice as an alternative to brown, and wild rice stuffed in winter squash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink