Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I just began a "fiscal fast" to make up for spending too much in December. As part of that, I live off the food I already have stored in the fridge, freezer, and cabinets until it's all but gone.
I call that an "eat down". It's more like an archaeological dig once I start digging into the back of the freezer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 07:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Food I can stockpile. Not so with some of my medications that my insurance company only lets me buy a 30 day supply once a month.

They don't have a 90 day reorder on maintenance medications?

I have had the other problem with my mail order pharmacy. I put them on "auto refill" and instead of getting my prescriptions ever 90 days, I was getting them every 70-75 days and was building up a 6+ month supply over the years.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Food I can stockpile. Not so with some of my medications that my insurance company only lets me buy a 30 day supply once a month.
I have an issue like that too.

You have a couple choices, eliminate one day on the 15th and one on the 30th..save those two, you might not notice missing pills that way. SAVE up in a bottle over time you will have plenty and never missed them. IF YOU DO MISS THEM< SKIP THIS STEP.

The other thing sis to research online to see what can substitute for the med,and stockpile that For example, Mesculine {?} blue is a fish treatment, but has human uses properties too.

Best of luck to you,

Old 01-27-2016, 07:23 AM

162 posts, read 212,826 times
We could survive several weeks, but if given the chance, I would definitely stock up before a big storm.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I'm asking this because of the storm in the east that has people rushing to get food. The news telling them to have enough for a week or two. So, it looks as though a lot of people don't normally keep food in their house. There are three of us and I think we would be OK for longer than two weeks. And that's normal for me.
About a year to a year in a half, maybe two on the outside, under optimum power conditions. Without power, 4 months perhaps, since a lot of dry goods require heated water to be prepared.

As another has noted, the cats may be a big item, but right now, on their food alone, probably 2-3 weeks without rationing.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
We were just talking about this at dinner and I went and surveyed our pantry and upright freezer. We could probably last 4 months on the food we have in the house, longer if we worked on rationing it. I grew up hearing my mother's stories of growing up without much food and fleeing from invaders during World War II.
My dad was a depression era kid and mom lived through WWII in England. There's always food in the house.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Ask a question like this and.........

.............I was taking the big picture in of the kitchen tonight when I really looked at the floor lamp box atop the refrigerator, not knowing what was in it, thinking I hadn't seen that floor lamp since the move (it might not have made it out), and I don't think I would have taken the time to take it apart and put it back in its box.

It was heavy enough when I pulled it off the frig, too heavy for the lamp, so to open it up and find......a can of 9 Lives (one cat will eat that brand), 2-3 cans of canned spaghetti (what makes up my out of work supply), 2-3 small jars of dry goods (beans, split peas), and one large jar of lentils. All told, that could last me for a month or two. It has been sitting atop the frig for at least 11 months.

My home has got the legacy like a submarine.....or NR-1, where one is finding viable foodstuffs of "missions" from times since past.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
One thing I thought I had plenty of, but don't: cat litter. Poor kitties ...

Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Probably a week and a half or so until we would have to think about which child to eat first.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:33 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
I'd last a week maybe. Part of the problem - if the power went out it would be more limited. I had a blizzard week one year, no power (and no heat). I ate mostly peanut butter sandwiches and tuna from the can with crackers after the perishables were safely used. (One reason I don't like to overstock the fridge in a storm. I lost over $100 worth of food)

Other problem - I like "fun" food, especially if I am trapped. I was in the 29 inch snow fall region. I technically could survive but I wanted my chocolate and to make homemade soups. I like to cook when I cant get out.

Many say that they can get out and there are close businesses so no food store rush needed. That is fine, but I assume that trucks restocking might have trouble. Many stores near me already look looted half the time, they cant keep up with demand. If I can get out but there is nothing to buy why bother.

I live in a tiny place too. Hard to hoard where there isn't much room.

PS: I always have waaaaaay more necessary for the cats. I'm more worried about them vs me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink