Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times

Advertisements

I bet I could go a month at least,,,have a freezer in the basement full of venison. and other meats..

if we didn't have power,,i could use the woodstove to heat the house and cook with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:49 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
About 3 weeks. I would say there is enough frozen and fresh vegetables, carbohydrates (rice, etc.), proteins (meats and legumes), oils/fats (including butter) to last for 3 weeks. However, I would run out of bread within 1 week. I suppose I could make bread from scratch if it was necessary.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:51 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Frozen meat - at least a month, maybe more.
Frozen vegetables - maybe 2 weeks.
Frozen roasted Hatch and poblano chiles - at least 8 months. (Until next season.)

Old 01-24-2016, 12:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
About 3 weeks. I would say there is enough frozen and fresh vegetables, carbohydrates (rice, etc.), proteins (meats and legumes), oils/fats (including butter) to last for 3 weeks. However, I would run out of bread within 1 week. I suppose I could make bread from scratch if it was necessary.
It's not hard. I have dough rising on the counter as I write this. Making bread is one of the first things I do when a storm is in-coming, because we all love grilled cheese sandwiches. We're expecting snow tonight, so I've also prepared chocolate syrup for post-shoveling hot cocoa and soaked beans for chili.

There's been so much discussion of the stores shelves being denuded of bread. There's a simple explanation. Sandwiches are a very easy meal for those who are snowed in. It does not have to be refrigerated and can be slathered with peanut butter and jelly for a satisfying meal when the power is out.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I could last 2 weeks. I might not eat what I want but I have enough food not to be hungry.

Ditto. We all eat too much and too often anyway.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:33 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
About March 30th and I do not have a large freezer and a huge pantry. Some of the meals around day 25-30 might be a bit spartan but, oh well, you live with what you have.

In most of the places I have lived in, I could rely on my meighbors if i have any needs and they'll help us out a bit or visa versa. And since my neighbors almost always cook over a fire or in their woodburning pizza oven, I have no worries should the electricity go out for a while.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM

393 posts, read 360,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I would have gone grocery shopping before the storm hit. . . there was plenty of forewarning. And living in an extreme weather area, winter is no surprise and I keep supplies on hand anyway.

However; if I was incapacitated and couldn't get out. . the food I currently have on hand would last me approximately two weeks.
Scary how many people don't do this...in hurricane country too many people don't even have a weeks worth of food.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,817,467 times
2-3 weeks. I would run out of meat early on, but have plenty of beans, rice, pasta, tuna, and other pantry items.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM

161 posts, read 137,015 times
Default Funny..

My mom used to shop like she was living with an army as she bought multiples of everything!! Our freezer was packed so full that she had to put a date on things!!

We had cabinets in our basement that held all the canned vegetables, etc., and they were full too!!

We even had a discussion once when in our basement during a Tornado Warning and how long we'd be able to survive down there if we really had to. My mom's reply was, "Ohhhh, quite awhile.." as she had a cookstove down there where she canned pickled and beets. Plenty of canned veggies in the basement cupboards. Not to mention the the two foot high freezer that was packed to the gills full of meat!!

LOL...I can't remember a time when I had to "date" something as it's pretty much gone the next week~!~

Old 01-24-2016, 02:15 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I have a chest freezer, so....months. I wouldn't be eating much other than meat after about 2-3 weeks, but....months. The dog and cats would also be sharing that meat with me. The biggest problem that I foresee would be the lack of cat litter....
If the power doesn't fail. That happened to us last year in Hurricane Iselle. 13 days with no power, we had a meat fest barbeque 2 days after the storm, sent the bulk of it home with friends, then threw out a few hundred dollars of steak, chicken and fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink