Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:52 PM

230 posts, read 161,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I had an Oxo but it broke. Then I tried out a Tupperware spinner, and although expensive is probably the best spinner I have owned.

Tupperware Salad Spinner : Salad Tools
Wow! Didn't realize they cost that much. I've had my old green Tupperware spinner for at least 20 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:52 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
I bought a spinner several years ago in our local department store for under five dollars. It does the job just fine. Tupperware costs so much because of multi-level marketing. There are so many people who have to be paid to sell that item that the cost is driven up exponentially.

Of course centuries passed before people realized they needed a spinner. Prior, water and a colander of some sort worked very well.

My biggest problem is where to store it. It does take up a considerable amount of space in the cupboard, especially with all the other utensils/appliances we just "can't live without". For 50 bucks, I could "do without" quite well, thank you.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I dislike the bagged salads and won't buy them. My family refuses to eat them. Even the pet geese, who love greens, refuse to eat them.

I rinse each leaf of lettuce and set it into a colander to drain. All the other vegetables that will go into the salad are trimmed, rinsed, and placed into the colander. , all the ingredients are ready.By the time I am ready to make the salad

washed first. The thought of eating those greens straight out of the bag makes me gag.

Goodness. By the time you're ready to make the salad...it's like, next Tuesday.

I buy head lettuce, the head carefully selected by looking it over. It's cheaper. I don't wash it. I've never gotten sick from my salads.

Had a spinner years ago. It was just another thing to wash, and it took up too much space and didn't really do such a good job of drying the lettuce. A dry cotton towel works better.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Sure - I use mine to rinse and dry greens but also other produce that would be a pain to try to clean individually - like blueberries, strawberries, new potatoes. It's really just a colander combined with the spinner to dry them so to me it's not a waste because it can serve several purposes.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:58 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
When I was a kid my dad had a huge garden (all organic) and we always had freshly picked lettuce and escarole. My mom would wash it and roll it in a clean dish towel, put the whole thing in the fridge like that. Never heard of a salad spinner back then!
That's how I do it.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I had an Oxo but it broke. Then I tried out a Tupperware spinner, and although expensive is probably the best spinner I have owned.

Tupperware Salad Spinner : Salad Tools
OMG - $50 for all plastic? It's basically a plastic costello box with an internal colander you can spin. I've had mine for 15 years and I guess I'll hang onto it because I"d never spend more than $10 to replace it!

Old 02-14-2016, 05:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's basically a plastic costello box
A what?

Old 02-14-2016, 05:41 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Not to steer off topic but did anyone ever own one of those salad shooters??? My husband bought one for his SIL one year for Christmas (this was before I knew him) He thought she said she wanted a salad shooter but she actually wanted the spinner.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
It's always recommended that you wash bagged salad before serving it.

I have a salad spinner that I bought at Whole Foods some years back. I think it cost $7 or $8. These days, I only use it if I'm making a large salad, which is rare. Since we're empty nesters, when I make a salad, I buy a small head of Boston lettuce, then wash and dry the leaves on paper towels.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Amazon.com: Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Large, Green: Kitchen & Dining

I wish I had this one. I have the smaller one, and have had it for at least 10 years. The flal top is great for storing with things stacked on it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink