Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:24 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times

Advertisements

Lactose free whole or 2% milk....

Old 12-23-2016, 01:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Milk is not a good source of anything. You're simply paying for the vitamins added into milk. I can think of everyday foods that you can get those vitamins directly without drinking milk.

While people say you need it for Calcium, it's not a good quality calcium because your body doesn't absorb it without magnesium. Kale, spinach, and mustard leaf are better sources of calcium because it contains good ratio of magnesium for better absorption.

Vitamin D you can get easily from fish, meats, sun.

You don't really need milk at all, it's a filler or binder substance.
That's great information but there are a lot of people who would choose to drink double the milk than have kale for a source of calcium. I wouldn't eat kale every day but I could certainly drink a glass of milk every day in combination with other dairy.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:49 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
We drank 1% milk for years. Then the 1% milk at Sams Club started tasting different every week. Some weeks it seemed to have a lot more than 1% fat, and some weeks a lot less than 1%. We switched to 2% to avoid the times when the apparent fat content would get low enough that we didn't like it. 2% didn't seem to vary as much. The 2% habit stuck, ever since, even when buying it at other stores.

For a real treat, mix Aldi chocolate syrup into it. It's better than other brands of chocolate syrup, and better than most brands of chocolate milk.

One thing to look for when buying a gallon of milk is the expiration date. It should be 12 to 17 days in the future. The closer to 17 days, the fresher it tastes. When Aldi raises their price above $2 per gallon, and the expiration date is closer to 12 than 17, it's time to buy milk somewhere else. But Aldi always lowers their price again within a couple of months, so it's worth keeping track of it.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:14 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The presence of fat lowers the glycemic index as skim milk is basically just sugar water. The fat content also facilitiates the uptake of the vitamins and minerals in your diet. Furthermore, the calorie difference between skim and 1% milk is borderline negligible.
It would be far better to consume some unsaturated fat from vegetable sources, to aid in vitamin and mineral uptake. I avoid using powdered nonfat milk, as the processing heat and oxidation that takes place in drying it, damages the amino acids in the proteins. A couple things I eat with good fat are avocados and almond butter.

Nonfat milk does have a bit less calcium than whole milk, usually around 80 to 85% as much. I take mine in the form of nonfat plain yogurt, with no additives other than the acidophilus culture, which is a pro-biotic. The brand I buy uses fresh nonfat milk, but unfortunately, it is bolstered by a 50% addition of powdered milk.

I've found in recent years, that much of the nonfat milk you buy in stores is not fresh, but re-constituted from powdered milk. The stale taste gives it away. So drinking nonfat milk may be less nutritious, just for this reason. If you drink it, using 1% would be an acceptable trade-off.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:41 PM

127 posts, read 90,698 times
I drink Lactaid if I can since I'm lactose intolerant, but I will drink 1% otherwise. That's if I drink any at all.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Milk is not a good source of anything. You're simply paying for the vitamins added into milk. I can think of everyday foods that you can get those vitamins directly without drinking milk.

While people say you need it for Calcium, it's not a good quality calcium because your body doesn't absorb it without magnesium. Kale, spinach, and mustard leaf are better sources of calcium because it contains good ratio of magnesium for better absorption.

Vitamin D you can get easily from fish, meats, sun.

You don't really need milk at all, it's a filler or binder substance.
ohhh but milk is a great source of a beverage- I use to drink a half gallon of chocolate milk per day for over a year

you have your opinions ,,,and others will have theirs..

a milkshake with ice cream, whole milk... chocolate syrup and a little Kahlua is one of my favorite drinks

my god..

kale?? spinach??? id rather have milk anyday...

food is a reward in life,,,,,whether cooking it or eating it...
and on this note..i believe I will go get a huge glass of whole milk with some hersheys syrup..

Old 12-23-2016, 10:43 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I trust Mother Nature--there is a reason the fat is there. It keeps you fuller longer, and fat carries flavor. I think it's better to consume a small quantity of full-fat dairy than to eat or drink a lot of fat-free stuff. Also, the amount of calcium is the same whether skim, low fat, reduced fat, or whole. Shouldn't make a difference if we're comparing cow's milk. I think the amount for other animals--sheep, goat, etc.--may be different.
If you "trust mother nature", why are you drinking milk from another specie? Mother nature has taught calf's to stop drinking mommy cow milk at a point in time just like human species stop breast feeding from mom at a young age.

So yes, I agree with you on trusting mother nature though it appears your opinion on the matter says something far different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Dieticians are the most ill-inforrmed "professionals" on the planet. The promote artificial sweetners, low-fat processed food, diet soda and junk. Look at any hospital plate: they give jello (no nutritional value) and soda (no nutritional value) to patients recovering, instead of something like a green juice or bone broth, which are full of nutrients and soluable fiber.

The give women who have just given birth rice and bananas, when any RN can tell you that the mother needs to poop before she leaves the hospital .... and rice and bananas aren't going to help at all.

When I hear "dietician" I just get ready for a lot of nonsense information. No surprise you couldn't get a straight answer, let alone a single response.
ha, I agree. The view of "trust your MD/health pro/nutritionist for nutrition info". Please. Last I knew doctors are only required to take a 3 credit hours in nutrition in their total medical training and that's an ultra basic nutrition course. These same "Experts", doctors, the nutritionist, etc that told my wife who had 300+ total cholesterol once upon a time ago to eat this/not that to lower her cholesterol actually pushed her total numbers up a few points strictly following their advice to a "T". So to the drugs it went and she was on a high does statin and brought it down to the low 200's. Until she went to a whole plant based diet, getting zero cholesterol from her diet, within a few months, she dropped her cholesterol down to 168 total, no stains either. No "expert" told her to do this, she/we figured it out doing our own research.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-24-2016 at 12:03 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
If you "trust mother nature", why are you drinking milk from another specie? Mother nature has taught calf's to stop drinking mommy cow milk at a point in time just like human species stop breast feeding from mom at a young age.

So yes, I agree with you on trusting mother nature though it appears your opinion on the matter says something far different.
Calves and other animals stop producing lactase at a certain age.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post

Actually I don't. I don't drink milk as a drink to slake thirst--for that I prefer water, juice, or tea--but I do eat full-fat yogurt and if I have coffee or hot cocoa I'll dribble cream or half-and-half into it. But the OP does drink milk so I was answering within the context of her question. Some people like the taste. Who the HELL are you that you think someone needs to justify what they drink to you???

Old 12-24-2016, 12:09 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Actually I don't. I don't drink milk as a drink to slake thirst--for that I prefer water, juice, or tea--but I do eat full-fat yogurt and if I have coffee or hot cocoa I'll dribble cream or half-and-half into it. But the OP does drink milk so I was answering within the context of her question. Some people like the taste. Who the HELL are you that you think someone needs to justify what they drink to you???
Relax. I don't care what you drink/eat. It was simply a logical question reading your words carefully that you trust mother nature yet your advice appeared contradictory. Again, I don't care if you drink/eat/guzzle/don't eat or drink whatever....it's just trying to understand one's "trust mother nature" vs one's actions/advice.

You apparently don't agree what the primary purpose of milk is in various species and you also choose to consume it and feel it's right in line with "mother nature". More power to you, no worries.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-24-2016 at 12:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink