Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 05:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Okay, consider yourself adopted!
No fair!!! Ok, let's all adopt each other and just show up for various meals.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2018, 05:48 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Tonight I am hosting a birthday party for my cousin who is visiting us from New Orleans. I wanted to make food that would remind her of home but I wanted to do something a little different than the usual Creole dishes she could make herself (she is a fabulous cook). We are having (mainly appetizers):

Bacon deviled eggs
Caramel Apple Martinis
Bacon-wrapped filet mignon bites with a creamy horseradish sauce
Creole honey lime chicken wings
Shrimp and crab macaroni & cheese
Pepper jack-stuffed blooming onion
Chopped salad (blue cheese/tomatoes/red onions/spinach/dried cranberries)
Crawfish cornbread and
Brownie cake sundaes with pecan ice cream balls for dessert (she doesn't want a traditional birthday cake)
Mr. Praline is in charge of bringing home several bottles of Veuve to toast the youngin (she just turned 40 - boy I can't believe I will be 44 this July!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I picked up some house made beer and cheddar brats at my favorite delicatessen. My husband grilled those up.

We served those with steamers. I'm not sure how popular steamers are outside of New England. They are steamed soft shell clams you dip in hot broth to clean and then dip in melted butter to eat. They are heavenly!!

And here I am cleaning one in hot broth. The melted butter is in the fish in front of the broth.

At the last minute I realized I didn't add anything healthy for my boys. So I quickly made carrot sticks for them!
oh hellya!
Magicshark..my Dad used to call them 'píss clams' and we ate them the exact same way..pull them out of the shell by that little 'elephant trunk' type of appendage, and dip them into a ramekin of melted butter.,

swirl them, it was a two purpose move, the swirl took some of the sand off of clams..

But I always loved that sandy grit texture in my mouth as I ate them.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Ok, tonight is leftovers, but tomorrow night is a small family/friends party.

BBQ brined chicken, asian style sliced flank steak, grilled corn on the cob, potato salad with bacon, and sliced grilled sausage, imitation crab with cocktail sauce and spicy edamame for pupus.

Beer, wine and whatever personal choice of poison.

I suspect the children will bring something sweet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Tonight I'm doing pseudo Thai. Spring Rolls that are filled with Chicken, Satay, Water Chestnuts, carrots, and red pepper.
Side dish..not really Thai, Green Beans cooked in butter and garlic with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice on top.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:02 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m so boring compared to y’all. Still just working on using up what’s here before vacation.

Pork chops, big kale salad with seeds and fruit, baked sweet potato.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, tonight is leftovers, but tomorrow night is a small family/friends party.

BBQ brined chicken, asian style sliced flank steak, grilled corn on the cob, potato salad with bacon, and sliced grilled sausage, imitation crab with cocktail sauce and spicy edamame for pupus.

Beer, wine and whatever personal choice of poison.

I suspect the children will bring something sweet.
That sounds wonderful M, and what a well rounded choice of entree, sides, and ..so nice to hear the word ''pupu' again.

I can smell the grilling meat aroma wafting in the tradewinds, and find myself moving closer to the grill, to warm myself after the sun set...and so glad that I traded my board shorts for long pants for dinner..

Now, could dis Haole boy have 'one beer'?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:10 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
oh hellya!
Magicshark..my Dad used to call them 'píss clams' and we ate them the exact same way..pull them out of the shell by that little 'elephant trunk' type of appendage, and dip them into a ramekin of melted butter.,

swirl them, it was a two purpose move, the swirl took some of the sand off of clams..

But I always loved that sandy grit texture in my mouth as I ate them.
I am not a fan of the sand. So we feed the clams crumbled Ritz crackers for a couple hours. They eat the cracker and purge all the yuckness. Rinse and steam, it gives you a cleaner, plumper steamer.

We call that appendage the neck even though technically it is a foot!

Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am not a fan of the sand. So we feed the clams crumbled Ritz crackers for a couple hours. They eat the cracker and purge all the yuckness. Rinse and steam, it gives you a cleaner, plumper steamer.

We call that appendage the neck even though technically it is a foot!
Now, that it a splendid tip...no pun intended.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 05-04-2018 at 07:20 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 06:58 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Lean Cuisine's version of Gen Tsao's chicken, and iced tea.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:23 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Chicken and broccoli fettuccine Alfredo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink