Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 12:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not necessarily. I live in the NJ suburbs, but I work in NYC, and there are fresh fruit and vegetable carts on every block during the weekdays, and wonderful farmer's markets throughout the city.

You would think you died and went to heaven if you found yourself in Union Square Park on the farmer's market days (two or three times a week, I think.) Farmers from upstate, from NJ, and from Pennsylvania, some of them Amish, truck their stuff in early in the morning from as far as four hours away because they know New Yorkers will pay the prices, and it's the best stuff. Many varieties of everything, too.

https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/...union-square-m

This is the biggest one, but there is one every Tuesday at the World Trade Center, another a little further down near the Battery, and others uptown.
I used to go to Union Sq farmer's market often but they're expensive. However, the food is good quality. PA has really good farmer's markets (I've had to travel with work in Amish country) as does Long Island (Suffolk county) and upstate NY. There is a farmer's market in Jersey City, that I've gone to, when you come up to street-level from PATH station. It was reasonably priced and had quality food, too. Actually, I can't think of a bad farmer's market in any state that I've been to although I'm sure some exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:17 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Another thing is water, folks don't consume enough, instead they quench thirst with sugary beverages! Water that hasn't been treated with chemicals or through a treatment plant, water that comes from deep within the earth, icy cold, real pure clean is amazing tasting and healthy for you!
Oh, yes!

I love my well water!

Even choked on it a few times.....it's so cold, loving the taste so much, I've frozen my esphogus and we-ll.......

Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, yes!

I love my well water!

Even choked on it a few times.....it's so cold, loving the taste so much, I've frozen my esphogus and we-ll.......

I'm blessed with a great deep well and enjoy drinking from it for the last 12 years, having lived in city's and subject to the treated water! ...

Old 03-26-2018, 02:20 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
My understanding is there isn't a stream or pond anywhere in the US where you can safely drink the water today, because of giardia.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
No wonder why most Americans don't eat fruit & veggies

That's the topic.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,579,272 times
Default Grocery store visit today

I ran into the grocery store today just to get a few things. Looked for apples (yes, I know they're out of season so I'm willing to settle for bland or near bland taste) and saw Pink Lady apples $1.99 lb. Honeycrisp apples $4.99 lb. Beautiful, large oranges (must have been from another country) were $1 ea and a bag of 10 were $10. Halo tangerine-oranges $3.99 for a 3 lb bag.

I ate the apple upon leaving the store. Although not as delicious as it would be if in-season, it wasn't bad.

Consider this, none of these fruit were labeled organic. IMO, everything I've just listed was expensive. Really, one dollar for an orange? Ten dollars for 10 oranges? Really?? These aren't even labeled "organic" (although doubt has been cast by many health sites about the dubious "organic" label).

Some people do use the excuse that healthy food is too expensive which is why they don't eat healthy. In this case, I understand their argument. Is it just me, or were these fruit prices expensive for what I've listed?

Old 03-27-2018, 03:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
Try and grow and ship and merchandise them and see what you pay and then pay the employees... It's in there.
I might add pay for the harvest and equipment it takes to do all the growing and shipping. One word that sums a lot of expense up is "Infrastructure."

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-27-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 04:03 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I ran into the grocery store today just to get a few things. Looked for apples (yes, I know they're out of season so I'm willing to settle for bland or near bland taste) and saw Pink Lady apples $1.99 lb. Honeycrisp apples $4.99 lb. Beautiful, large oranges (must have been from another country) were $1 ea and a bag of 10 were $10. Halo tangerine-oranges $3.99 for a 3 lb bag.
Some people do use the excuse that healthy food is too expensive which is why they don't eat healthy. In this case, I understand their argument. Is it just me, or were these fruit prices expensive for what I've listed?
This is ridiculously high for produce. What store were you in? You might want to try getting your produce at ethnic supermarkets. I live near a few of them, and I can get a whole pound of produce for just $1. Even things like persimmons and red bell peppers. Of course, it comes with a catch: they're slightly overripe, and packed in unsightly styrofoam trays. But I always finish them before they go bad.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
I didn't read all the comments, there are so many, so sorry if I am repeating what was already said.

I have been wondering about this for YEARS. Why is all this worthless stuff even for sale? Why would anyone buy it?

Fortunately, I usually can find one or two things in the supermarket that are edible, because they happen to be in season and were recently put on the shelf. All the rest, they just leave out until it rots.

It is such a challenge to get healthy food. Maybe if I spent hours driving all over I could find it, but I don't have that much time.

Sometimes I just resort to canned fruit or frozen vegetables.

But WHY are the stores doing this? I doubt anyone buys stuff that tastes like wilted cardboard.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
just one last comment for me on this subject: produce today is as good as it was years ago; it costs money to transport, so off season it going to be pricey, but it appears most of us do eat and enjoy our veggies and fruits. Just stick with what is in season.End of story!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink