Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I ran into the grocery store today just to get a few things. Looked for apples (yes, I know they're out of season so I'm willing to settle for bland or near bland taste) and saw Pink Lady apples $1.99 lb. Honeycrisp apples $4.99 lb. Beautiful, large oranges (must have been from another country) were $1 ea and a bag of 10 were $10. Halo tangerine-oranges $3.99 for a 3 lb bag.

I ate the apple upon leaving the store. Although not as delicious as it would be if in-season, it wasn't bad.

Consider this, none of these fruit were labeled organic. IMO, everything I've just listed was expensive. Really, one dollar for an orange? Ten dollars for 10 oranges? Really?? These aren't even labeled "organic" (although doubt has been cast by many health sites about the dubious "organic" label).

Some people do use the excuse that healthy food is too expensive which is why they don't eat healthy. In this case, I understand their argument. Is it just me, or were these fruit prices expensive for what I've listed?
Yes, ridiculously high. I see you are in New York, but aren't good apples grown nearby? And they store quite well. They shouldn't be so much. I live in SoCal where apples are usually shipped in; still, I was able to get Honeycrisp this week on sale for $0.77/lb. I love Honeycrisp and will pay a little more for them if need be, but you can bet I wouldn't pay $4.99/lb.

Oranges are grown in the US and they are in season in the winter. Again, they shouldn't be that much. I'm getting them at the farmer's market at 5 lb. for $3, which is more expensive than the grocery store, but I like the taste of these local ones.

Definitely worth trying some different stores!

Last edited by saibot; 03-28-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
[quote=saibot;51447715]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post

Oranges are grown in the US and they are in season in the winter. Again, they shouldn't be that much. I'm getting them at the farmer's market at 5 lb. for $3, which is more expensive than the grocery store, but I like the taste of these local ones.

About the oranges...

Not to many people are aware that the most productive area for citrus in the USA has been it with multiple diseases and the trees are being pushed up and burned by the millions. I know. I've traveled the area and know people in family and friends circle who have lost small fortunes. Citrus canker and greening are two. So far about CA maybe ok but CA has only a fraction the land area in citrus that FL does.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:34 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
My friends have a tangerine tree in their yard and it's FULL of sweet juicy and very seedy tangerines but I can deal with the spitting out seeds. I am so thankful. I often eat 2 daily. The are definitely organic as no pestisides are used and when I buy in the market I like organics too but oh the cost. I treat them like gold.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-28-2018 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 07:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Plenty of options to get fresh fruit and vegetables on Long Island =

https://www.google.ca/search?source=...75.eMnjM5c-6rE

Old 03-29-2018, 11:06 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yes, ridiculously high. I see you are in New York, but aren't good apples grown nearby? And they store quite well. They shouldn't be so much. I live in SoCal where apples are usually shipped in; still, I was able to get Honeycrisp this week on sale for $0.77/lb. I love Honeycrisp and will pay a little more for them if need be, but you can bet I wouldn't pay $4.99/lb.

I agree with you. You have to shop around.

Over the course of a year, I will buy 15-20 varieties of apples in various markets all under $1/ lb.However, honeycrisps are only available at a reasonable price maybe 4-6 weeks a year so I switch off to other specialty apples. There is generally always one or two varieties - other than the standard yellow and red delicious - that are on sale each week.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:10 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
The topic is about the taste and flavor of fruit and vegetables, not shopping and prices...

Old 03-31-2018, 02:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My understanding is there isn't a stream or pond anywhere in the US where you can safely drink the water today, because of giardia.
I had a home well for 26 years. We did not have giardia! Of course it was a very deep well, drilled down into an aquifer.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Honeycrisp apples are typically more expensive. Your apple prices seem aligned with what I’m paying. But I am buying organic.

The oranges should be from FL or CA at this time of year. The bag of Halos sounds about right.

I think where you live and what market you frequent has a lot to do with what you pay.

Very, very occasionally I can find apples for 1.49 a lb. $1.99 is the typical lowest price for apples if I buy organic. For cheapest non organic apples, I would shop at Chuck’s, if you live on the West Coast.

There is another thread about the high cost of beef. I think food costs are creeping up all the time.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:01 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Myself, I just don't like most vegetables, and most of the ones that I do like are not considered the healthiest. Once in a while I do order a salad of some sort for a meal, but I always pick through them and leave some ingredients behind. I really dislike being this way and envy those who love all vegetables. I'm definitely a red-meat and potatoes person (and I like fruit, too).

Old 04-02-2018, 03:35 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
yes, not only that they taste like plastic, they way they cook them in restaurants render them garbage.
get the organic stuff and use butter and spiced. even if the oven. and/or duck grease. or a bit of lard. it wont kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink