Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 06:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The OP is acting like factory-raised chicken and sliced white bread and Bud Lite and refrigerated eggs have more flavor than a sheet of note paper.
That's a thread for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Default My experience too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of this depends on where you live, the affluence of your local As someone from the South, I was shocked at the variety of vegetables and produce, the low prices, and how much better the food (raw food, not necessarily restaurants) was in the Midwest compared to Tennessee. The farmer's markets were terrific.

Go across the mountains to Asheville, NC and all this changes. The farmers market in Asheville is the best one I've ever been to. It's because that community values quality food. Mine doesn't.

This has been my experience too. Been through Asheville several times on my way to conferences but didn't have time to stop. Thanks for mentioning it, I plan to check out their farmer's market when I come through again.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Default I get a bag full

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I long for the tomatoes of late summer. But, even then, it is hard to find a truly flavorful, ripe tomato. Backyard tomatoes are best. Truck farm tomatoes are often a distant second best. Tomatoes at the grocer are a waste of money, in my experience.

We buy a lot of produce at our local farmers’ market when we can. I like buying what is in season. I could easily pig out on fresh peaches! And fresh strawberries.
I'm lucky. I have a colleague who has a backyard garden. During the season, of course they harvest more tomatoes than the family can eat before it goes bad so a bag of tomatoes is forced on me. I love it!

Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've hated vegetables from the time I was a child and when I had my own garden, I finally found out why. I grew strawberries, corn, peas, celery, and cherry tomatoes. I never knew food could taste so good! I even grew a couple of watermelons one year. Folks, if you haven't had a homegrown watermelon, you don't know what you're missing. I have yet to taste anything in a supermarket that even comes close to it.

The strawberries and cherry tomatoes were the best I've ever tasted. The corn was delicious, especially as I had planted two different varieties and unintentionally ended up with a bi-color corn.

After that, eating store bought veggies was like chewing cardboard.

We have a Farmer's Market here where I live, but very little variety in food. Only one vendor sells more than just carrots and whatnot. I get peaches and blueberries from him and they're to die for. I gave some blueberries to a friend who had never had fresh grown blueberries before and she said it was like eating a completely different fruit.

Exactly! You've confirmed my sentiments.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:40 PM

Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
How can produce ripen properly in an unnatural environment? And how on earth did people who lived in earlier times ever survive without food shipped from another continent, or not being able to go to their local Whole Foods? Yes, there was trade, but that doesn't usually include staples. They ate in season, and had root cellars to store food stuffs in, they preserved foods, and knew which types of foods to grow that would store through the winter. Everybody prepared throughout the warmer seasons for the wintertime. In general all western modern man knows how to do is go to the store for their food.

Anybody who has done any reading at all on this subject is already aware of what goes on in the food industry. If you prefer artificially manipulated, gassed, irradiated, and waxed food that is kept in a high carbon dioxide warehouse then be my guest. I know that we have to eat, and I end up eating some of this stuff too.

All I said in the beginning is to buy in season, buy local, and organic when you can afford to because it's healthier. If you don't agree with my simple premise, then the burden of proof is on you.
Exactly. Eat what's in season as no one is forced to eat every fruit and vegetable all year round. A few posts ago, someone listed the F&V options as if one has no choice but to eat gassed up, wax, bland tasting out-of-season fruit. It isn't a life or death situation where a person must eat an apple throughout every month of the year. I agree with you, eat apples in season. Eat peaches in season. Eat blueberries in season. When it's not in season, don't eat it. Or, they should try the frozen version if they want it bad enough and the store sells it.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Fruit is a challenge but for vegetables, grow your own or purchase from authentic farmers' markets in the summer. Blanch or cook in your favourite recipes, then freeze for winter.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Default They haven't had fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You're spot on with your observations. My daughter has been involved for a couple of years with a group that builds and maintains community gardens in Compton, CA. The idea is to get the residents involved with growing and eating fresh vegetables. Of course, it is not enough just to help them make a garden, you also have to show them what to do with the vegetables! Many very low-income urban people have never learned how to cook fresh produce and think they don't like "green stuff" because they have so little experience with it.
Many low-income people in urban areas from childhood onward have had the majority of their vegetables come out of a can, turnip/collard/mustard greens are the exception. Knowing how bland canned vegetables are compared to its fresh counterpart, not to mention the high salt content, it's no wonder people prefer fastfood and flavorful junk over it. If these residents would get fresh produce on a regular basis, it would change their preference.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Off topic...

Did you give up SWEETS for Lents or just candy? I gave up SWEETS for Lent which includes candy, pastries, cookies, etc.

Are you cheating by eating sweets during Lent?
Just candy.

I buy candy essentially by the pallet to give to my divers after they come out of the water. For example, after Valentine's Day, I bought around $40 worth in the sales. It's a heck of a temptation to me, so that is what I gave up this year.

Further on this and taking it back into topic, I use to be guilty of eating baking chocolate chips by the handful. I got away from that by substituting raisins in my pantry. The raisins resemble the chocolate chips in appearance and scarfability so these days when I have those cravings, I grab the raisin bin instead.

Unfortunately, when it comes to toffee and Butterfinger bits, I haven't found a similar substitute and they can suffer a fate similar of old. Their best chance is for me to keep them out in the garage chest freezer until they are needed for baking.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Many low-income people in urban areas from childhood onward have had the majority of their vegetables come out of a can, turnip/collard/mustard greens are the exception. Knowing how bland canned vegetables are compared to its fresh counterpart, not to mention the high salt content, it's no wonder people prefer fastfood and flavorful junk over it. If these residents would get fresh produce on a regular basis, it would change their preference.
Then why do you not do something about that. Take the tomatoes which were forced upon you and share them. Distribute fresh fruit and vegetables. Share the good stuff you eat.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
No wonder why most Americans don't eat fruit & veggies
The very premise of your thread is false.

There is a big difference between eating the recommended amount and not eating fruits and veggies, I submit the percentage of Americans who don't eat fruits and veggies is very small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink