Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I speak from experience because I'm very big on eating fruit and veggies both raw and cooked and have done so for over a decade. I travel a lot due to work so I shop at farmer's market in the summer and fall all over the country. I've been to apple orchards and picked fresh apples to eat and cook with. Same goes for pumpkins, onions, tomatoes, green beans, corn on the cob, English peas, carrots, grapes, and so forth.

For all of you fit people who are telling fat people to just eat MORE fruits and veggies and stop with the junk food, like I've done for years, think about what you're really telling them. You're telling them to eat more notebook paper in the shape of a fruit or vegetable. Then you wonder why they don't eat it but instead will chose junk food or sweets which does have LOTS of flavor. It's because grocers are so intent on chasing a dollar that they've cheated us out of natural flavors in foods that should have them. If the flavor is gone, I question how much nutrients are really there as well.
I totally agree. I am having a lot of trouble keeping my weight under control after I hit 40, and I know most of the problem is my lousy diet. I used to have more self discipline but it has gone away. I exercise vigorously and regularly, but of course a healthy diet is the most important factor in weight control. But a healthy diet simply does not taste as good as a crappy one. Fatty, greasy, sugary foods taste better than lean ones, even when you add loads of spices. And when going out to eat, unhealthy options vastly outnumber the healthy options, and even options deemed healthy often have a lot of fat and calories. I'm not sure what to do. I keep telling myself I need to change, I know I need to change, but I haven't done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
My all American diet centers around fresh fruit and vegetables that are good because they taste good. I know where to shop for the quality and I know how to raise my own in season... It's an advantage of not being in a concrete jungle. I refuse to stereotype all Americans with any broad statement about nutrition. One size never fits all.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 03-24-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:20 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seriously, that's what I was wondering. Why is the OP shopping for fresh produce at Walmart? lol. It sounds like the OP doesn't know where to shop for good produce. Or maybe he lives in a town with limited options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
In my initially two posts on this thread, I included both grocery stores and Walmart as being places in which the fruit and vegetables are tasteless.
I think that was the biggest surprise to me on this thread--that so many people shop for food at Walmart. I don't have one convenient to me and have only been in the one near my sister's house about 100 miles away, but I didn't think it was a place where people shopped regularly for FOOD. I knew they sold some food items, but I figured it was the kind of deal where you might go there to get towels on sale and pick something up while you're there, not an actual food destination, especially not for produce.

Learn something every day.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:21 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Then why do you not do something about that. Take the tomatoes which were forced upon you and share them. Distribute fresh fruit and vegetables. Share the good stuff you eat.
Sigh...in your quest to say something snarky & petty to me for what reason I have no idea (was it because I spoke up on behalf of inner-city poor?), I guess this was the best that you could do under the circumstances.

In reality, you have no idea how I share my blessings with the less fortunate, true or false?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Based on what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The very premise of your thread is false.

There is a big difference between eating the recommended amount and not eating fruits and veggies, I submit the percentage of Americans who don't eat fruits and veggies is very small.
What are you basing your premise on?

Old 03-24-2018, 11:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My all American diet centers around fresh fruit and vegetables that are good because they taste good. I know where to shop for the quality and I know how to raise my own if season... It's an advantage of not being in a concrete jungle. I refuse to stereotype all Americans with any broad statement about nutrition. One size never fits all.
Not necessarily. I live in the NJ suburbs, but I work in NYC, and there are fresh fruit and vegetable carts on every block during the weekdays, and wonderful farmer's markets throughout the city.

You would think you died and went to heaven if you found yourself in Union Square Park on the farmer's market days (two or three times a week, I think.) Farmers from upstate, from NJ, and from Pennsylvania, some of them Amish, truck their stuff in early in the morning from as far as four hours away because they know New Yorkers will pay the prices, and it's the best stuff. Many varieties of everything, too.

https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/...union-square-m

This is the biggest one, but there is one every Tuesday at the World Trade Center, another a little further down near the Battery, and others uptown.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:34 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not necessarily. I live in the NJ suburbs, but I work in NYC, and there are fresh fruit and vegetable carts on every block during the weekdays, and wonderful farmer's markets throughout the city.

You would think you died and went to heaven if you found yourself in Union Square Park on the farmer's market days (two or three times a week, I think.) Farmers from upstate, from NJ, and from Pennsylvania, some of them Amish, truck their stuff in early in the morning from as far as four hours away because they know New Yorkers will pay the prices, and it's the best stuff. Many varieties of everything, too.

https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/...union-square-m

This is the biggest one, but there is one every Tuesday at the World Trade Center, another a little further down near the Battery, and others uptown.
Oh I know NJ is the Garden State. You are very lucky. I have friends here in TN from NJ and I know how they fared. It is for those I referred to as in a concrete jungle who live and stay in a large city without neighboring farms where things are the best and no place to grow substantial quantities of food.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Yes, after 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I totally agree. I am having a lot of trouble keeping my weight under control after I hit 40, and I know most of the problem is my lousy diet. I used to have more self discipline but it has gone away. I exercise vigorously and regularly, but of course a healthy diet is the most important factor in weight control. But a healthy diet simply does not taste as good as a crappy one. Fatty, greasy, sugary foods taste better than lean ones, even when you add loads of spices. And when going out to eat, unhealthy options vastly outnumber the healthy options, and even options deemed healthy often have a lot of fat and calories. I'm not sure what to do. I keep telling myself I need to change, I know I need to change, but I haven't done it.
That's for all/most of us over 40, the weight becomes much harder to get rid of. You're right about the unhealthy options vastly outnumbering the healthy options not only in restaurants but also convenience stores, too.

I travel a lot with work (slightly more road travel than flights) and when I travel, 99% of the time I eat junk, that I normally wouldn't, because that's the only thing available. Places like McDonald's, which I forget exists when I'm at home where I'm able to control what foods I have access to, but it becomes my go-to when I'm on the road. Why, because I don't always have time to go to local restaurants where it may take up to an hour to order, get the food, and finish eating. Meanwhile, McDs is the one place that I see regularly throughout most of my travel in the south, east, midwest, and northern parts of the country.

I can't think of one healthy restaurant, which I can plan healthy meals around, that I see consistently in my travels. Although, I'm noticing more Subway sandwich shops off the interstates at travel plaza service stations. The other burger, chicken, and taco fastfood restaurants are hit-or-miss once you leave urban and high traffic suburban/exburban areas. Airport restaurants, depending on the airport (Seattle, Denver, are good ones that come to mind), can be healthy food places but extremely over-priced. That's if there is time to get food between layovers.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:43 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
Another thing is water, folks don't consume enough, instead they quench thirst with sugary beverages! Water that hasn't been treated with chemicals or through a treatment plant, water that comes from deep within the earth, icy cold, real pure clean is amazing tasting and healthy for you!

Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Another thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I believe there are less healthy eating options because there is not a large enough market for it. It's only a small minority of people who eat a lot of bland fruit and vegetables all year round. Most don't - which goes back to the point of my thread. Consequently, restaurants (and grocers cater) to what people do spend money on, and lots of it, food with flavor. Unfortunately for us, in our society that's junk food which has sugar, salt, and/or flavorings added. Crap food has flavor all year-round. F&V have flavor primarily when they're in season and they taste a whole lot better than crap food, believe it or not. However, many people haven't tasted it in season so they aren't aware there is something out there better than flavorful crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink