Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Something a bit lighter, easy to make...

Fresh strawberry pie

Large bag frozen whole unsweetened strawberries
1 small box strawberry jello ( the size that calls for 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup cold water)
1 baked pie shell.

Whipped cream, optional, but a nice touch

Mix the jello with 1 cup boiling water, stir until dissolved.

Mix frozen berries, still frozen, into the jello

Spoon strawberries into the cooked pie shell with a slotted spoon. There will probably be jello left in the mixing bowl, don't add that to the pie. Just enough jello to stick the berries together.

Refrigerate until serving time.

You can "frost" with whipped cream, or serve with a bit of whipped cream on the side, or with a scoop of ice cream.

The hot jello will thaw the frozen berries. The frozen berries will set the jello.
this sounds delicious!! thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m a stuffer, and I’ve never killed anyone yet. Pepperidge Farm dressing with extra fresh sage from the garden, celery, onion salt and pepper...year in, and year out, it never changes.
Same here. I'm a fan of the Pepperidge Farm dressing. I add celery and onion. Never tried extra sage! I will have to try that.

I used to stuff the turkey as well as make a side dish of stuffing. Now I just make a side dish and stuff the turkey cavity with onion, carrot, celery and butter.

I don't like to bother with thawing a turkey. My grocery store takes orders for fresh turkeys so I always order one from them and go pick it up the day before Thanksgiving.

^^^^That strawberry pie recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to make that!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 960 times
I am not an American but I have experienced Thanksgiving day two years ago. I picked guts from turkey. It was hard but I think it was good experience because I could know how hard it is and we can live thanks to animal.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Shiroma View Post
I am not an American but I have experienced Thanksgiving day two years ago. I picked guts from turkey. It was hard but I think it was good experience because I could know how hard it is and we can live thanks to animal.
One of my doctors is from India. I asked him what they'd be eating for Thanksgiving. Without missing a beat and totally deadpan he answered, "Turkey."

Thanks, Oregon, for the strawberry pie recipe. Think I'll save it for more summery weather. We Minnesotans have to build up that insulating layer of fat every year before January.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Shiroma View Post
Hard?
I hope you cooked it

Give it another shot - watch a YouTube video to cook

Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Hard?
I hope you cooked it

Give it another shot - watch a YouTube video to cook
Reminds me of a thanksgiving we spent at a lovely hotel in Cancun. The Mexicans tried so hard to make a beautiful thanksgiving feast for the Americans. The turkeys were raw and the other traditional foods were obviously made by folks who had no clue what they were supposed to look like, or taste like. It was sweet that they tried though.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:30 AM

That bundt cake looks lush?

Never mind. Just trying to figure out what potty mouth thing I must have said about the bundt cake. LOL

Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Same here. I'm a fan of the Pepperidge Farm dressing. I add celery and onion. Never tried extra sage! I will have to try that.

I used to stuff the turkey as well as make a side dish of stuffing. Now I just make a side dish and stuff the turkey cavity with onion, carrot, celery and butter.

I don't like to bother with thawing a turkey. My grocery store takes orders for fresh turkeys so I always order one from them and go pick it up the day before Thanksgiving.

^^^^That strawberry pie recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to make that!

IF that "fresh" turkey is still a little "chilled" you can quick thaw in a bucket of cold water either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning for a couple hours.
(if need to)

years ago the industry was allowed to transport "fresh" turkeys at 14 degrees f
many still felt almost frozen.

today they can be transported at 27f so some might still have a chill to them

I recommend anyone to call the store ahead and special order the turkey....this will guarantee you get the weight you wnt particularly on fresh ….the toughest weight range to get is 14-18lbs... from hens to toms .. and if the store gets shorted for any reason.....the special orders take priority to the turkeys on display

if you call for a special order they will separate your turkey out with your name on it...

Tuesdays and Wednesdays I use to pass out the special orders ...

Old 11-17-2018, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That bundt cake looks lush?

Never mind. Just trying to figure out what potty mouth thing I must have said about the bundt cake. LOL
Haha, I keep mulling that over too!

Change of plans on the bundt cake though - while that makes a delicious cake, we're still eating on the one I made last week (it's sooooooo moist!) so we can't get all excited about it again in a few days. Besides that, we've nailed down Christmas plans and we won't be spending Christmas with my daughter who loves the rum cake I usually make that time of year. So I've decided to surprise her with a rum cake at Thanksgiving. I'm not up for baking two cakes - we're already having a pumpkin pie, a pecan pie, and a buttermilk pie!

So here's the rum cake recipe - it's cheating but I do not care, it's delicious! And super, super easy.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7364/easy-rum-cake/

After I make it, I put it in an airtight container and pour more rum glaze over it. Yes, we go heavy on the rum and I turn the cake over several times to be sure it's soaked. We serve it with fresh whipped cream and some coffee. WOW.

My grandmother used to make this and while she didn't officially drink, she LOVED eating several slices of rum soaked rum cake!

Old 11-17-2018, 08:15 AM

I like lots of choices for dessert. *Grin* You sound ambitious, Kathryn.

Sent DH to buy a non-injected turkey. He said he couldn't find one in the 16-18 lb. range that I asked for so we got one that is a little smaller. Today I see on my home page that Millennials are changing the trend by buying smaller turkeys.

Rascally Millennials strike again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink