Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 03:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Definitely. My two favorites to add the rice to are the Thai-style chicken & the cajun style soup with chicken & sausage. You could easily feed 3 people from one can of chunky soup. It just isn't soup anymore.
I also add rice to certain soups such as Progresso's Southwestern Bean to make a complete protein and two cheap rib-sticking meals.

NOT to "cut the salt," which -- I still don't understand this obsession with salt... To the point where I'm now going to have to research the salt content of canned soup compared to every other prepared food on the planet.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-03-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I also add rice to certain soups such as Progresso's Southwestern Bean to make a complete protein...and two rib-sticking meals.
It solves the high sodium problem & makes a different meal. 2 cans could easily feed a family.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:47 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,644,874 times
A few months back I was scrounging for something to eat and remembered I had some potatoes. They weren't getting any younger so I decided to mash them. Once I got done cutting off all the bad parts I boiled them and whipped the hell out of them. Then I opened my cabinet to get the packs of powdered gravy, damn...I didn't have any. I didn't even have any butter to put on them. While I was looking for the gravy I spotted a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup hiding behind a box of Uncle Ben's rice. I can't remember when I bought it but I know it was a long time ago. I added a tablespoon of water and heated it up, then poured it over the potatoes. It was good, almost like those mashed potatoes and gravy you get from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
I also add rice to certain soups such as Progresso's Southwestern Bean to make a complete protein and two cheap rib-sticking meals.

NOT to "cut the salt," which -- I still don't understand this obsession with salt... To the point where I'm now going to have to research the salt content of canned soup compared to every other prepared food on the planet.
Usually those who feel this way about canned soup feel similarly about other prepared foods. Make from scratch or bust, so to speak.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Fun fact: salt (sodium) doesn't CAUSE high blood pressure; you only have to worry about it if you already HAVE high blood pressure.
Quote:
Again, if you have to avoid sodium for a legitimate medical reason (hypertension, renal failure), you'd want to watch the salt content in canned soups. For the average healthy person, however, it shouldn't be an issue.

I find people to be a little paranoid about salt in prepared food when there's no rational reason for most people to be, but that's just me.
Quote:
Again, what is "too much salt"? It's not an issue unless you have a medical condition contraindicating its use, but I repeat myself (again).
Quote:
Do you not salt your own homemade soup? In my experience, soup is pretty flavorless without it!

I wonder how many who bash the salt content of canned soup never eat a potato chip or a pickle?
Quote:
That still doesn't explain they hyper-focus on, not to say obsession with, the salt content to the exclusion of every other consideration...
Quote:
I still don't understand this obsession with salt...
I feel like you're the only one obsessed with salt in this thread.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:18 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I eat Cambell's cream of Asparagus virtually every day
That used to be my favorite, I loved it, but there started to be a lot less asparagus in it, and it became really hard to find in stores, at least where I live.

My late sister loved Pepper Pot. I don’t think it’s made anymore, but if I found it, I’d probably start crying.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:37 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,353 times
Quote:
I get the feeling there's a certain "elitism" about making your own soups versus buying prepared in cans... But no shame in my game!
Nah, I’m not a soup elitist, I just like soup, especially navy bean, split pea, 12-bean, lentil, and especially since I moved to a colder climate and can eat soup,w/o sitting by an a/c. It’s just so cheap and easy to make in a crockpot...beans or lentils, ham hock or diced ham, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, salt and pepper, turn it on, boom, soup! I freeze leftovers, then nuke them.

One of my favorite comfort food meals is tomato soup, Campbell’s, Progresso or Trader Joe’s and a grilled cheese sandwich made with (forgive me all you foodies)...VELVEETA!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
That used to be my favorite, I loved it, but there started to be a lot less asparagus in it, and it became really hard to find in stores, at least where I live.

My late sister loved Pepper Pot. I don’t think it’s made anymore, but if I found it, I’d probably start crying.
Try Canada; they still sell Campbell's Scotch Broth!

Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:

Salt is a contributing factor to high blood pressure. Most people eat too much salt, and anyone with atherosclerosis or kidney disease has to limit salt. The kidneys regulate blood pressure, and the ion pump in the kidneys removes sodium from the bloodstream.

For years I have used Leslie "Lite Salt," which is half sodium chloride and half potassium chloride (salt substitute). It has trained my taste buds, so now a pizza tastes excessively salty and I don't salt many foods at all. I have a Japanese friend who always complained that some very good restaurants salted their food too heavily. After years of weaning myself from salt, I have come to agree with her. Meanwhile, the "Lite Salt" is a better electrolyte that takes the load off the kidneys during very hot weather, which is why I started using it in the first place.

Canned soup makers employ some very good food chemists. I have often wondered how they get some of those flavors.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:25 PM

"Salt is a contributing factor to high blood pressure."

Not as I understand it. It's contraindicated in the event that one HAS high blood pressure.

At any rate, unsalted soup is so flat and awful that I wouldn't want to live if I had to eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink