Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 04:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times

Advertisements

regarding above question:
"OK, have to ask: do you like your Mr Pillow?"

our answer:
ANY NEW PILLOW is better than your old one.
quote:
The rule of thumb is to replace your pillow every 1 to 2 years. Certain types of pillows last longer than others, due to the quality and construction of their materials.
link:
https://www.tuck.com/how-often-shoul...ir%20materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 04:49 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
I have a set of the copperclad skillets.
They are decent. Use them for saute and quick-frying meats, and such.
They actually work pretty well. decent all-purpose fryers.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:48 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
We had one: worked well at first, but we were always not sure if it is leaching some bad chemical into our food.( Especially acidic type food)

However, the coating did not last, even though we were careful to only use wooden utensils for stirring and scooping...and hand washing- we started seeing light scratches on the surface and some pitting-a few tiny dark dots.
I’d say maybe we had it for 3 months?
We stopped using it and did not replace it. We did not want a metal underneath the coating to leach into our food.
I loved using it when brand new, but shortly thereafter- it started to deteriorate- and was not as sleek and non- stick as at the beginning.
Back to stainless, cast iron and an enameled cast iron...
It's not the metal underneath the coating leaching into your food that's bad, it's the coating itself getting into your food. Possibly cancerous.

I'd say you made a good choice.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:57 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Things "Seen on TV" are usually mediocre quality.
For every day quick non-stick frying I use a ceramic pan.
For cooking/searing - glazed iron pan or shallow Le Creuset skillet.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:47 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
The Copper Chef pans seen on TV are not made of copper, although they are the color of copper. The base metal is aluminum and the interior has a ceramic coating that is non-stick. They are not related to copper lined cookware, which is more expensive. They are also not related to real copper cookware, such as Mauviel. That is the bomb!

I have 2 pieces of the Copper Chef for my outdoor kitchen. It came from Amazon as a 2-piece set. It's not the best quality, but it's not bad either. With reasonable care, the non-stick coating lasts well. It's easy to hand wash, and I have never put it in the wife's dishwasher. I would recommend it for camping, RVing, outdoor cooking, or young people starting out who need pans that are inexpensive. It seems to be better than Teflon.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
All the non stick pans I've ever seen have such short lives, I don't see the point in buying them. I have a T-Fal that I've babied for 6 years, and though it is not as slippery as before, it still is non stickish. I mainly use it for eggs.

The thing is, you usually can't wash them in the dishwasher, and you aren't supposed to use them with high heat. High heat destroys the finish. And if you have induction, there are few of these copperish or enamel non-stick pans that work well with induction.

If you must have non stick, I recommend T-Fal, but you will still have to baby them.

Cheap pans of any description are seldom worth buying, with the exception of decent cast iron. But even then, the best cast iron are vintage pans, IMO.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I have several Copper Chef fry pans I got from Walmart...I use them on my Nuwave cooktop (induction) which I usually use instead of my electric stove...

Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I have one of the "copper clad" as seen on TV pans. Just like all non-stick cookware, they work great for a few months. By one year old, pretty much every type of Teflon or other non-stick pan will not be non stick anymore.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm open to recommendations that aren't crazy expensive.
I haven't tried them, but they seem to show up at Ollie's, Big Lots, etc for pretty cheap. Maybe buy one from there before spending more money?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have seen some new ones for sale at Grocery outlet type stores, might be cheaper there, than on tv.
Bizarrely, the as seen on tv brand is cheaper at Target and Amazon (depends on the size which is cheaper).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink