Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 09:05 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times

Advertisements

DH watches too much TV and wants one. He WAS right about the My Pillow, so maybe he's on target for this, too.

It's also about time to replace my Teflon pans - they are starting to get scratched and are probably made of the material thats supposed to bad for you. I'm open to recommendations that aren't crazy expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Me too. For the most part I use cast iron and stainless, but there are a couple things I use the non stick for. And mine's also starting to wear. Just tossed one and have one left. Can't wait to hear folks recommendations.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:03 AM

130,341 posts, read 12,118,417 times
I have seen some new ones for sale at Grocery outlet type stores, might be cheaper there, than on tv.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH watches too much TV and wants one. He WAS right about the My Pillow, so maybe he's on target for this, too.

It's also about time to replace my Teflon pans - they are starting to get scratched and are probably made of the material thats supposed to bad for you. I'm open to recommendations that aren't crazy expensive.
OK, have to ask: do you like your Mr Pillow? I have been tempted. AS for the copper cook ware. I haven't used any but have a friend that was not particularly fond of hers. Recently I went to the basic Teflon whether it is good for us or not. It is improved over the old stuff and I got a few pieces via Amazon. It is too new to share by it, but right now I love it and it isn't expensive. I got a couple pieces of Faberware and a couple from Cuisanart ( no I know I screwed up the spelling) I also use cast iron skillets from time to time, but they are so heavy and can not be washed in the DW. I want to have the option of using the dish washer if I want to cut time off of the clean up.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
I don't have a copper clad fry pan but mine is green clad and I love it! I bought it years ago in a drugstore. Hasn't stuck once.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
If your food sticks to a hot pan, you're not cooking it hot and long enough to form a crust. If it burns because you cooked it too hot and too long without a good oil. I hear too many folks use extra virgin olive oil. That is a salad oil not a cooking oil, it burns too quick and your food gets burnt and sticks. You don't see chefs in kitchens use nonstick pans even though they keep pushing people to buy them. (Because they're the ones trying to sell them.)

Those stainless steel all clad pans costs $100+ each and they are not non-stick because non-stick is just a temporary coating. It's actually harmful to use them because they get into the food over time.

Look at some videos on how chefs cook with a good pan, hot oil and doesn't stick.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:19 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You don't see chefs in kitchens use nonstick pans
That's not really true. They use them a lot less than most casual home cooks, but chefs in professional kitchens do use nonstick pans.

Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's not really true. They use them a lot less than most casual home cooks, but chefs in professional kitchens do use nonstick pans.
No. And again no.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:37 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
Full disclosure, I'm an All-Clad snob but do have a couple Swiss Diamond non stick fry pans that I use for eggs and crepes.

I was just at my parents house for a week and they have a few Copper Chef (I think that's the name for the TV brand) pans. I used the huge square one with the high sides for a lot of cooking while there. Pros: It cleaned up very well and the shape and size were good for keeping the stove tidy. Cons: It's really thin and not perfectly flat so the surface had inconsistent heat and pan sauces pooled to the sides. It wasn't a bad pan, but I'm not sure how much it costs, I would say it's not worth much more than $40.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:38 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
We had one: worked well at first, but we were always not sure if it is leaching some bad chemical into our food.( Especially acidic type food)

However, the coating did not last, even though we were careful to only use wooden utensils for stirring and scooping...and hand washing- we started seeing light scratches on the surface and some pitting-a few tiny dark dots.
I’d say maybe we had it for 3 months?
We stopped using it and did not replace it. We did not want a metal underneath the coating to leach into our food.
I loved using it when brand new, but shortly thereafter- it started to deteriorate- and was not as sleek and non- stick as at the beginning.
Back to stainless, cast iron and an enameled cast iron...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink