Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times

Advertisements

French Foods - I make Chicken Gordon Bleu with white wine, so flavorful and tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good morning

As some of you know I am overflowing with zucchini. I will be making zucchini muffins this morning and tonight I am trying a new recipe.

Zucchini/Carrot Fritters
2 eggs
1/2 c. bisquick
2 c. grated zucchini
1 c. grated carrot
1/4 c. parm. cheese
1/4 c. onion
seasonings of choice(I'll have to rummage through my cabinet?

I'm doing the low fat version so I will be frying them in Pam spray.

I also have 3 ears of fresh corn that I need to eat.

I may complain about all the veggies but I really do love summer food.

Hey has anyone been getting cantaloupe this year? I love it and every summer I anticipate good sweet cantaloupe but I've only bought twice and that was at the beginning of the summer. I haven't even seen it at the grocery stores.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
They have been having lots in the Farmers Market here. So good and sweet. The ones I got at HT were not nearly as good.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Hey for all of you who hate grocery shopping you can call me anytime, lol. I love "food" shopping. Heck if it has anything to do with food, I like it.

Ok I have been trying to come up with fresh ideas. My garden is producing a lot of zucchini again. My break is over. Looks like zucchini bread, muffins, breaded and baked, grilled zucchini and whatever else I can come up with. By all means please share your best zucchini recipes, lol.

I have also been craving Baked Clams. I bought all of the ingredients but I am using canned clams. I am going to try making clamballs. I think they should be good. I'll tell you about them after tomorrow.

Now I have to get ready to make my oven fried Italian breaded squash.
How do you make your oven fried Italian breaded squash?

Here are two recipes for zucchini:

Zucchini Chips
Slice very very thin coins, spray with cooking spray (or you can fry in oil) and bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes, flipping once, until crispy. Then you can sprinkle with whatever you like - salt, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, etc.

Zucchini Salad
Use a veggie peeler to make zucchini ribbons from about 6 zuchs (you can also use half zuch and half squash or add other veggies)

Whisk together 3 Tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs white vinegar, 1/4 tsp Dijon Mustard and 1/4 tsp Herbs de Provence (or any other combination you like)

Toss dressing and zucchini and add lots of fresh basil leaves.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Mookster- Thanks for the recipes.

I am trying not to "fry" food anymore so everything gets oven fried. Anytime I say Italian oven fried I dip the food(squash, zukes, or chicken) into an egg and milk mix then bread it with Italian seasoned bread crumbs. The food goes on a sprayed(Pam or equivalent) pan and baked.

Anything tastes good with Italian bread crumbs, lol. Now if I could just find whole wheat bread crumbs I could be healthier.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Mookster- Thanks for the recipes.

I am trying not to "fry" food anymore so everything gets oven fried. Anytime I say Italian oven fried I dip the food(squash, zukes, or chicken) into an egg and milk mix then bread it with Italian seasoned bread crumbs. The food goes on a sprayed(Pam or equivalent) pan and baked.

Anything tastes good with Italian bread crumbs, lol. Now if I could just find whole wheat bread crumbs I could be healthier.
Don't laugh because I know how hard it is to find in some areas of TN, but we have a new Whole Foods in JC, so if you are anywhere near one you can get Ian's whole wheat bread crumbs that are made with panko.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,305 times
Would yous guys stop talking about food, please?

You are making me hungry.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
The really big ones? Cut them in half and core and stuff 'em with a ground beef or savory veggie stuffing. Put back together and bake until done. Yum!
Quote:
I tried that once with rice, beans, salsa, and cheese. It was ok but not great. I need to work on the filling some more.
Yes, I forgot to add an earlier experience My first gf and I acquired a giant zucchini and she said that she knew what to do with it. We cut it crosswise (left that out earlier) and scooped the seeds and core out the large end. The we made a ground beef, onions and such filling and put it inside, making a "cap" from the leftover end. Put it in a pan and set it to baking. And it baked, and baked, and baked. We checked several times over a couple of hours. Apparently zucchini is a heat resistant substance. The filling never got done, and even the squash didn't get soft on the inside.

We learned from that experience to saute the onions and brown the meat in a pan before putting it into the fruit. And also don't try to cook a zucchini that looks like a cave man club. Better to use a couple of smaller ones I've done this many times since then and it worked out well. I now use the same stuffing I use for green peppers.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Any fans of the TV show Hell's Kitchen here? I know bjh is Last night, as is common things did not go well. And once again the cause was Risotto. An appetizer of this defied the best efforts of the "chefs" and held up the whole meal. They made it over and over again with bad result. I've never tried to make this but now might give it a try

Risotto - All Recipes

Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Any fans of the TV show Hell's Kitchen here? I know bjh is Last night, as is common things did not go well. And once again the cause was Risotto. An appetizer of this defied the best efforts of the "chefs" and held up the whole meal. They made it over and over again with bad result. I've never tried to make this but now might give it a try

Risotto - All Recipes
Let us know if we need to call you a donkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink