Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 09:48 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else. "All afternoon and all night" must be 16 or 18 hours. And the meat was warm. By no means should you eat it.

It is a bummer, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 09:54 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
In the past when I've run into questions like this I've sometimes called my County Home Extension office. They were my go-to when I was in the middle of canning and wanted to produce a safe product.

Do we still have County Home Extension Offices? Would there be anyone on the end who would pick up? Would they know the correct answer?

Am I still in the Dark Ages?

Old 06-26-2021, 10:06 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
The ground beef, not a chance. The steak if still cool to touch, sure.
I’m leaning towards having the steak for dinner, but tossing the burger. I think I just needed time to get my head around it.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:16 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
The ground beef, not a chance. The steak if still cool to touch, sure.
Agree, more or less.

Ground beef has already been in situations where it picks up pathogens all over the surface area of each bit of it. It can be made safe, but it isn't worth it, as it is inferior at this point.

A solid cut of meat is far less susceptible. I would kosher the outside with salt, scrubbing it with the salt, then rinse and cook to well done if it looked and smelled ok. The two pathogens of issue are listeria and salmonella. Both are killed with heat. There are others that can contribute to the "off" smell that aren't as concerning.

Use for the ground beef? If you have ants, mix it with boric acid and THINLY spread it near the anthills, so that no animal is enticed. If you have outdoor flies or nasty wasps, use it to make a "Big Stinky" fly trap away from the house.

Edit to add a word police note: PLEASE do not say "I'm an idiot." That isn't just for yourself but to push back at the over-use and misuse of the word. It is best to get out of the habit, especially in the case of parents. To say "I did an idiotic thing" can be accurate without using a broad paintbrush to say that you as a person are idiotic. What you did by saying "I'm an idiot" is actually a personal attack on yourself. Personal attacks are not allowed on City-Data.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:43 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
An insulated bag with steaks and ground beef was left in my hot car all afternoon and all night. The meat is now chilling in the fridge. Does anyone think it might be salvageable? If I cook all the ground beef and freeze it, do you think it would be OK? If I cook the steaks tonight, do you think we’ll die?

Of course, they will need to pass the smell test first.
I would say no way. I feel for you, and I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I bought 4 16 oz. cans of jumbo lump crabmeat on sale, but because they were cans and in a bag with other canned goods, I forgot about them when I put the non-perishable groceries on the dining room table to be put away later. I didn't discover them till the next day. I, too was on the internet asking people if they could the crab might still be okay, but everyone said don't take the chance, so I reluctantly tossed them.

Old 06-26-2021, 10:45 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,006,008 times
Send any bad meat, even road kill, to the TV show 'Naked And Afraid' - the contestant Gary will eat ANYTHING!

Old 06-26-2021, 10:46 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The question is how insulated the bag was and what temperature the meat was at when it was discovered. If you read my other posts on this topic you will find that I am about the least food-safety-paranoid person around, but meat that was left in a hot car for 12+ hours and was warm when found would be crossing the line, no question. Or was it still really cold inside the bag?
This was exactly my thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh no, not cold at all.
Nope. I'm not eating that. I'd wrap it up, stuff it in the freezer until the next garbage pickup day.

Old 06-26-2021, 01:00 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
OP - maybe it was the full moon? LOL - I cooked two pork chops yesterday (wasn't hungry but figured they'd be good for dinner today). Got on the phone w/a friend and forgot I had put them in a storage container but didn't stick in the refrigerator - discovered them on the counter this morning

Old 06-26-2021, 01:05 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I would have taken the temp of the meat when it came in, but no, probably not.

Generally speaking I am pretty cavalier about food safety (not when I have guests), but I would not be able to enjoy eating it, so what would be the point.

Would be cooked and given to the dog (don't scold me, he eats dead animals he finds out side before I can stop him).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2021, 02:04 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would say no way. I feel for you, and I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I bought 4 16 oz. cans of jumbo lump crabmeat on sale, but because they were cans and in a bag with other canned goods, I forgot about them when I put the non-perishable groceries on the dining room table to be put away later. I didn't discover them till the next day. I, too was on the internet asking people if they could the crab might still be okay, but everyone said don't take the chance, so I reluctantly tossed them.
I don't understand this. Does canned crabmeat have to be kept refrigerated??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink