Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 03:30 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,375,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
OP should be glad the meat was found quickly. Dogboa and I went to a farmer's market once and picked up a bunch of asparagus among other things. When we got home, both of us put away the things we bought. Toward the end of the week, I started looking for the asparagus for dinner and it was nowhere to be found. I didn't remember putting it away and neither did he. I was working from home back then and he had a company vehicle for work, so nobody had been in the car since the farmer's market trip. He decided to go look in the car just in case. Think late spring, South Florida, temps in low to mid 80s for highs already, car out in sun. He opened the door and immediately knew the asparagus was in there. It had rolled out of the shopping bag and underneath 1 of the front seats. Unfortunately, it was in a paper bag and had basically liquified. We had to.take the seat out, clean the carpeted floor, let it dry, put baking soda on it, leave the windows open some, then repeat for weeks. It took months before the smell went away totally.
Awesome! I once spilled a take out container on the floor of my truck. Result: it just smelled deliciously of chicken cashew for a couple days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 04:04 PM

50,348 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would say no way. I feel for you, and I was in the same position about 6 months ago. I bought 4 16 oz. cans of jumbo lump crabmeat on sale, but because they were cans and in a bag with other canned goods, I forgot about them when I put the non-perishable groceries on the dining room table to be put away later. I didn't discover them till the next day. I, too was on the internet asking people if they could the crab might still be okay, but everyone said don't take the chance, so I reluctantly tossed them.
Oh my goodness, that’s exactly the same dilemma...maybe worse.

So anyway, if I die tonight, it’s been great knowing y’all. The ground beef continues to look suspicious.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:13 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh my goodness, that’s exactly the same dilemma...maybe worse.

So anyway, if I die tonight, it’s been great knowing y’all. The ground beef continues to look suspicious.
Just throw it away, bacteria illnesses are not pleasant.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:16 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I've been known to stretch food safety guidelines to avoid throwing food away, but I'd throw away that stuff pronto.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:40 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,815,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh no, not cold at all.
I have eaten a ziplock sealed brownie plucked from my ski jacket... in August.
Pizza left out overnight on the counter... for lunch the next day.
Easter eggs sitting in a bowl on the dining room table... cracked.. a week later.

But meat left for 12 hours in a hot car?
No.Way.In.Hell.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:41 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Color fading to grey. Smells. Surface of the meat feels like there's a thin film over it which gives it a slimey or slippery feel. That is only the exterior. You may have to cut away the exterior and do the same exam on the interior of the cut of meat. My neighbor claims cutting away the bad portions works for them. I don't trust it.

Google 'dry-aged beef'.

The hamburger is not safe, because the grinding process can distribute bacteria (if any) throughout the meat. The steak, on the other hand, has bacteria only on the surface (if any was present during butchering). Cooking the steak will kill the bacteria.

I would definitely chuck the burger (pun intended). If the steak didn't turn my stomach*** when I smelled it, then I would rinse it and cook it...perhaps slightly more than med-rare...definitely get a real good sear on the outside.

I am a firm believer in "if it smells bad, don't eat it"...and that goes for stinky, moldy cheese too, I don't care how many like Parmesan, bleu or gorgonzola- if it smells bad, I ain't putting it in *my* mouth.

---------------------------------------------------

Feeding it to animals- animals can have different digestive systems, certain carnivores are perfectly fine eating stuff that would sicken or kill people, their systems can handle it- crows, vultures, canines, etc. On the other hand, certain things that people can eat- onions, chocolate, for two, are bad for dogs. Some animals can eat some plants that we can't, while some plants will kill our household pets.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:49 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Some does, not all. If it's on the shelf, it can stay on the shelf. If it's sold cold, has to stay cold. The cold pack crab meat is a better quality and way, way closer to fresh picked than the stuff on the shelf in the grocery.
Well, I learned something. I had no idea some canned foods had to be kept cold. I think accidentally leaving them out with other canned goods would be a very easy mistake to make.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:51 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I am a firm believer in "if it smells bad, don't eat it"...and that goes for stinky, moldy cheese too, I don't care how many like Parmesan, bleu or gorgonzola- if it smells bad, I ain't putting it in *my* mouth.
Parmesan smells bad?? As my husband would say, that's a "you" problem. All of those cheeses smell good to me!

I think cooked mushrooms smell bad, so I don't put them in my mouth.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Noooooo.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
When I lived in Chicago, I used to drop by the supermarket during lunch break and always carried a cooler so that the produce I would buy did not freeze.

Now that I live in Southern Arizona, I carry a cooler so that I can carry meat and other refrigerated goods without them getting too hot. Yesterday, I did leave some cheese in the cooler for two hours and fortunately it was still cold when I came back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink