Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 04:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,800,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
What's with all the people having black eyed peas for NYE? Is this a staple in rural America or something? I don't know anyone in the NE that eats that on any sort of regular basis, let alone NYE.
It's a Southern thing. Actually an interesting history behind it dating back to the Civil War, which I won't go into, but it can be found on google. It is supposed to provide "good luck" and financial gain in the new year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Since the Toutiere is - unfortunately - beyond my capacities as a cook, I think I'm going to concoct my own version of Hoppin' John: black-eyed peas, white rice, Ro-tel tomatoes and chilis, and cooked greens. I don't think that's the official recipe, but it's what I have on hand, and it sounds colorful and festive... And very easy...
That sounds a lot like the Hoppin' John we make. Ours has black-eyed peas, Rotel tomatoes, bell peppers and chopped ham. And we serve it over rice. I think there are many different versions people have to make it. Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2021, 04:37 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
No idea.

We'll probably go out to a rooftop bar at a local hotel Friday night. They're having a gala, but we have nothing to wear for something like that. The rooftop is more casual.

As long as the weather is nice, I'll take a hike. Probably have my typical smoothie for breakfast. We have eaten badly the last two weeks or so.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
No idea.

We'll probably go out to a rooftop bar at a local hotel Friday night. They're having a gala, but we have nothing to wear for something like that. The rooftop is more casual.

As long as the weather is nice, I'll take a hike. Probably have my typical smoothie for breakfast. We have eaten badly the last two weeks or so.
Would that be The Bristol Hotel? That's a great place, I stayed there one night during my travel through Bristol. Very nice!

Old 12-28-2021, 05:46 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,207,654 times
Thumbs up A wonderful post with delicious ideas! Thank you, Lodestar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I want to finish my post about our post-New Year's celebration. Had to give up thanks to new kittens hippity-hopping on my keyboard.

Daughter's boyfriend wants to share a warm meat, cheese dip he likes. Son is bringing cheesy puffs with stuffed olives inside and warm spinach balls. I'm making a BBQ deviled ham cream cheese spread, teriyaki chicken liver pate, pear, pomegranate, bleu cheese bites and caprese salad on a stick. Daughter will surprise us. Her brother is asking for her empanadas.

DH will be excused since it will be his birthday celebration also. I have something he calls "Yum-yum" for dessert. It's a trifle made with chocolate angel food cake, chocolate mousse, ganache and chocolate whipped cream. I adapted it from a Jello pudding recipe his mom used to make.

Dear Lodestar

Thank you for your post!
I just gained 10 pounds from reading your posts!Everything sounds sooo yummy!

I have been waiting for you at the COUNTRY Porch/thread in the New Hampshire forum, we are having a Christmas/Holiday Party there as well.
So, since we are missing you.
We will just all drive over to your place for dinner!!! LOL! What time should we show up?

By the way, what type of empanadas does your daughter make, from which country, are they fried or baked? What filling does she use? Beef, chicken or cheese? Made from wheat flour or corn?

In your spare time , could you please share the recipe for the chocolate dessert with us? "Yum Yum" That sounds really good as well.

Finally, please say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your dear husband from everyone at the COUNTRY PORCH! Happy Birthday wishes to Mr. Lodestar!

A Merry Christmas Season, Happy New Years Eve/Day, to all in your family!

Happy Holidays & Best of wishes to all here!

And may 2022, be a lot better than the last 24 months!

Old 12-28-2021, 05:55 PM

17,442 posts, read 16,615,018 times
New Year's Eve - Roasted duck, wild rice, asparagus, crescent rolls. Assorted pie, brownies and cookies for dessert.

New Year's Day - Hoppin' John - sauteed onion and green pepper, black eyed peas, ham, rice and spices simmered on the stove in chicken broth and water.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:03 PM

50,410 posts, read 64,151,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I want to finish my post about our post-New Year's celebration. Had to give up thanks to new kittens hippity-hopping on my keyboard.

Daughter's boyfriend wants to share a warm meat, cheese dip he likes. Son is bringing cheesy puffs with stuffed olives inside and warm spinach balls. I'm making a BBQ deviled ham cream cheese spread, teriyaki chicken liver pate, pear, pomegranate, bleu cheese bites and caprese salad on a stick. Daughter will surprise us. Her brother is asking for her empanadas.

DH will be excused since it will be his birthday celebration also. I have something he calls "Yum-yum" for dessert. It's a trifle made with chocolate angel food cake, chocolate mousse, ganache and chocolate whipped cream. I adapted it from a Jello pudding recipe his mom used to make.
Who cares what the food is, if you’re sharing with those you love.

Old 12-28-2021, 06:19 PM

24,144 posts, read 32,563,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is a regional dish of the South. There are plenty of NE dishes that most of the rest of the country would not be familiar with. Like B&M canned bread and boiled dinner.
It has nicely spread to the rest of the US, who find it easy, tasty and comforting. Also, the promise of good fortune and money in the New Year, combined with easy to make food that isn't terribly expensive - what's not to like?

That said, I probably will make this on New Year's Day. Along with herring, smoked salmon, and a cheese board.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:33 PM

1,268 posts, read 674,042 times
New Year's eve for us has traditionally been fondue with bread, fruit and veggies to dip. A tart riesling to drink and prosecco at midnight .... if we make it!
NY day we will probably have mimosas using prosecco and oj. Later in the day we are having sauerkraut simmered in white wine, with apples, potatoes, and smoked bratwurst. Then..... starting on the 2nd, it's time to buckle down again for awhile!

Old 12-28-2021, 08:48 PM

17,442 posts, read 16,615,018 times
[quote=Bellacatahoula;62591358]New Year's eve for us has traditionally been fondue with bread, fruit and veggies to dip. A tart riesling to drink and prosecco at midnight .... if we make it!
NY day we will probably have mimosas using prosecco and oj. Later in the day we are having sauerkraut simmered in white wine, with apples, potatoes, and smoked bratwurst. Then..... starting on the 2nd, it's time to buckle down again for awhile! [/QUOTE]

Oh, I can relate. "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we will diet." - It's pretty much my theme every New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink