Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:25 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
... from comedian George Carlin...

"I always wanted to work at a deli just so a woman would come in and ask for some tongue"
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!! THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 02:43 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Canned tamales. Love the fresh homemade kind.

I like Brussels sprouts and would eat more liver if I wasn't suspicious that it's not good to eat it very often. I also like sardines and anchovies.

Other miscellaneous animal parts like organs, feet, tongues, I haven't tried, but would if they were prepared by someone who knew what they were doing and made them in some tried and true fashion. There's a certain "ick" hurdle that I might have to get over, but since I like so many odd foods, I'd probably like the majority of others.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
OMG! You guys crack me up! I got the willies just reading about all of the gross foods!!! I detest liver & onions, brussel sprouts, sweatbreads, veal, etc.. I have more but those ones stand out to me right now.... Good Lord!!!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
Liver... ugh! And the sad thing is people think they can make it taste good!!! A buddy of mine invited me over to his house. When I got there... it smelled funky. I asked what he was cooking and he said "liver and onions." I must have really made an awful face, but he said, "oh.. but you haven't had mine!!! It's different." I gave it a shot... sat down to eat when it was ready.. and you know what? It tasted like liver!!!! Blech!

But the absolute worst was when I lived in the Philippines. There's a food called Balut. It's originally a duck egg (but they commonly use chicken eggs). The egg is fertalized and a chick actually starts growing in it. After a time (long enough to be nasty), they bury the eggs in a basket filled with hot sand (which kills the chick, of course). What you do is get the egg, whack the top off, and drink the liquid... (it's actually not bad... tastes like chicken soup). But then you are supposed to eat the chick. There's just something about biting into a chick that I can't get passed. I got sick every time I try. And you have to be careful, you don't want to be disrespectful of other's cultures.. but OMG.. there's no respectful way to spit up a chick!! Nasty!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Liver... ugh! And the sad thing is people think they can make it taste good!!! A buddy of mine invited me over to his house. When I got there... it smelled funky. I asked what he was cooking and he said "liver and onions." I must have really made an awful face, but he said, "oh.. but you haven't had mine!!! It's different." I gave it a shot... sat down to eat when it was ready.. and you know what? It tasted like liver!!!! Blech!
That's how I feel about eggplant,most places cover it up in all kinds of preparations but I wonder how many have ever tasted it raw!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Liver is gross. No argument there.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM

201 posts, read 656,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
But the absolute worst was when I lived in the Philippines. There's a food called Balut. It's originally a duck egg (but they commonly use chicken eggs). The egg is fertalized and a chick actually starts growing in it. After a time (long enough to be nasty), they bury the eggs in a basket filled with hot sand (which kills the chick, of course). What you do is get the egg, whack the top off, and drink the liquid... (it's actually not bad... tastes like chicken soup). But then you are supposed to eat the chick. There's just something about biting into a chick that I can't get passed. I got sick every time I try. And you have to be careful, you don't want to be disrespectful of other's cultures.. but OMG.. there's no respectful way to spit up a chick!! Nasty!
I agree with you on that one...Balut is awful! It smells bad, it tastes worse... durian makes it onto the list to for me- it smells so bad that it's illegal to eat it outdoors in several parts of asia

Old 06-02-2008, 02:11 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Marmot, seal blubber, Hakarl ("cured" decomposed shark's meat), boiled cow's foot ( with the hoof and most of the fur still attached), marmite, brown sauce, boiled tripes, ram's testicles,and sweets-wise treacle pudding and wedding cake with icing. I am not in a hurry to try those again.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:57 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Can You Venture A Guess?

Liver. Hands down.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:06 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,124 times
Blood sausage or artichokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink