Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times

Advertisements

If you have enough freezer room, you can do like I do. I pour all my old grease, from bacon, hambuger, deep frying into large tins (I use large juice cans) and freeze it. Then, late in the fall, I put several inches of water in the bottom of a large stock pot and melt down the fat. Stir it very gently and keep the flame down on the stove- you don't need a rolling boil to do this. Because the fat floats on the top, the salt and sediment fall into the water, leaving you with a reasonably clean product.

Let the whole mixture cool and then chill it so the fat hardens. It can be lifted off the water and the water discarded. Then I re-melt the fat and mix it with birdseed, chopped suet, and such and make my own suet cakes for the birds. If you pour it into sheet cake pans and let it harden, you can cut it to the deminsions for commercial suet cake holders. My kids used to love to do this, with adult supervision, of course, and make Christmas gifts for their teachers and grandparents.

Here are some recipes for what ingredients to add.
Making Suet for Wild Birds - How to Make Suet Cakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
sorry-never lived in a home with septic--so "dont try this at home"
You're not supposed to do it with city sewage either.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
TexasHorseLady
DON'T do that with a septic system! (You're inviting much worse problems than merely attracting animals.)

OK....here is a question I have.
We are (for the first time EVER) living in a house with a Septic System.
I HAD been flushing some of the grease (diluted with dish soap) down the drain.....and now find out, NOT to do it......OOOOPPPPPSSSS.........
What can happen, and why shouldn't grease/ fat be "flushed" down the tubes???
I apologize....but have to admit, I am so new to this septic thing......

Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Pretty much for the same reason you shouldn't flush it down a kitchen sink when you're on city septic, because it will eventually gunk up the works. But gunking up the works in the country with a septic system can involve lots of digging and other mean, nasty, expensive stuff. Not too bad if you do it occasionally (not pouring an entire pan of grease, dish determent or no dish detergent, down there, but cleaning out the pan with detergent and a little goes down), but not a good regular practice.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Put it in your car Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
OK....here is a question I have.
We are (for the first time EVER) living in a house with a Septic System.
I HAD been flushing some of the grease (diluted with dish soap) down the drain.....and now find out, NOT to do it......OOOOPPPPPSSSS.........
What can happen, and why shouldn't grease/ fat be "flushed" down the tubes???
I apologize....but have to admit, I am so new to this septic thing......
Out in your yard you will have a drain field, if you'll notice during dry spells the grass will grow better in that area because of the extra moisture. Basically when you flush the toilet or pour something down the sink it goes into the septic tank, the solid waste falls to the bottom and the extra water flows out through the field lines into the yard. If you were to take hot grease and pour it into a bucket of cold water you will see that it turns solid and floats on top. Well, it does the same thing in your septic tank and sometimes tries to flow out of the field lines. The cold solid fat clogs the lines.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I am a retired senior who has to cook for himself. After frying meat or whatever, I generally pour the old grease into an empty jar saved from something like applesauce or pickle jar when emptied, never down the drain. Have a habit of saving BACON grease to fry my meats. I pour the bacon grease thru a small strainer and here again a clean reusable jar and keep in the fridge. Just today bought a kilo of nice bacon that I will fry up and save on a plate in the freezer. Take out a couple of slices and micro for 20-30 sec on a paper towel to add to my eggs in the morning. Steve

Old 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
I usually hang on to used vegetable oil to use for oiling the outdoor grill.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
If you have enough freezer room, you can do like I do. I pour all my old grease, from bacon, hambuger, deep frying into large tins (I use large juice cans) and freeze it. Then, late in the fall, I put several inches of water in the bottom of a large stock pot and melt down the fat. Stir it very gently and keep the flame down on the stove- you don't need a rolling boil to do this. Because the fat floats on the top, the salt and sediment fall into the water, leaving you with a reasonably clean product.

Let the whole mixture cool and then chill it so the fat hardens. It can be lifted off the water and the water discarded. Then I re-melt the fat and mix it with birdseed, chopped suet, and such and make my own suet cakes for the birds. If you pour it into sheet cake pans and let it harden, you can cut it to the deminsions for commercial suet cake holders. My kids used to love to do this, with adult supervision, of course, and make Christmas gifts for their teachers and grandparents.

Here are some recipes for what ingredients to add.
Making Suet for Wild Birds - How to Make Suet Cakes

How clever! What a great idea. No waste and entertaining as well. Great post!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:55 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Default Fying and left over oil

Ok so I'm going to attempt to make fried chicken steak and it calls for frying in a cup of veg oil. What do I do with the oil after I'm done with it? What's the best way to dispose of it properly?? Can it be reused?? I'll probably burn my apt down, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink