Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM

431 posts, read 1,202,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have heard this before. Is it true? I don't eat fast food, I just can't stand it and I worry about how clean the kitchens are. Basically, you're eating with the unwashed masses preparing your food.
It is true, but if you think that meat is beef, think again. Could be dog meat and you have no idea.

The cleaning problem is because restaurants in general are only interested to make as much money as they can.
I have different ideas of how a restaurant should be maintained.
I believe that a restaurant should have general cleaning every end of the week. I would vote for Monday when business is low, or simply close it down one day a week and scrub.

I don't recall to see Taco Bell or McDonald closed for cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I think I'll pass on this. I have a cast iron stomach for things like green apples and oranges but bugs make me queezeeee after watching a coworker bite the head off of a live giant grasshopper to demonstrate what it would be like living off of locusts... Ewwwwwww..... I'll take real meat thankyou...
Some pics for you to enjoy......

Brain Goodbye » Fast Food In Beijing Is A Little Different

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Very few people know for example that crickets and earth worms are used to make the burgers for fast food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have heard this before. Is it true?
What do you think? Find me any fast food place that says it uses anything but 100% pure beef. If they were lying they would be open to lawsuits, and relying on a lot of people to keep a pretty big secret.

Besides, earthworms are probably more expensive than ground beef.

I'm disgusted by what's in commercial ground beef - but I'm talking about fecal material and e. coli - not arthropods and earthworms.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
Very few people know for example that crickets and earth worms are used to make the burgers for fast food restaurants.
One major reason for which I never eat burgers and I grind my own meat.
Gee, and I sit here and watch the cattle being raised for McDonald's burgers grazing in the pastures all around our place. (And a fine life it is they have, too!)

Who'd have thought that they were actually crickets and earth worms?

By the way, snopes has an entry on this one, as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Gee, and I sit here and watch the cattle being raised for McDonald's burgers grazing in the pastures all around our place. (And a fine life it is they have, too!)

Who'd have thought that they were actually crickets and earth worms?

By the way, snopes has an entry on this one, as well.
I didn't say 100%... I said it is used... in which proportion I have no idea.
Well I wouldn't trust snopes just because they want people to consume burgers without fear.

Do you really believe that burgers are nothing but 100% beef?

How about this?
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0..._your_food.htm

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM

I believe that burgers contain no more and no less than the legally allowed portion of "insect parts". I believe that there's a lot of hoaxes out there that are intended to see how many people the hoaxers can get to run around in circles and scream and shout, and change their behavior.

I believe that there were internet hoaxes going around when the internet first started that I'd heard around the campfire as ghost stories when I was a little one in the 1950's, and there were STILL folks believing them and passing them around as having happened "to my cousin's boyfriend's best friend" and absolutely true. (This particular fast food rumor, by the way, has evidently been going around since the 1970's; you'd think the USDA would have taken action in all that time, if it were true. Plus, of course, as Ray Kroc said, just compare the cost per lb. of hamburger vs. the cost per pound of night crawlers and you'd see that they can't AFFORD to use worms in their hamburgers.)

Snopes has nothing invested in anyone eating fast food. (Wait! Maybe we could get that rumor started going around the internet!) Also, they've been shown to be accurate enough, when I follow up and do my own research, and unbiased enough, that I feel comfortable checking with them.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Default 100% beef

If I had to bet I would say yes. The possibility of a cover up of such a magnitude with universities with labs that can verify without government intervention are many. And the rewards for whistle blowers?? I don't buy so many of the conspiracy theories that run a muck for our reading pleasure. If you really seriously think it through eating establishments have a lot to lose by not providing as stated. Not only fines and mass law suits but customer base loss for ever.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Just to lower the tone even further, meat eaters should need no reminding how eating too much veggie matter can create a little methane

All that living meat out there is producing plenty of its own - those burps and farts are adding even more methane to the atmosphere than energy does, increasing the greenhouse effect...my son told me all about it

Cow Farts: Global Warmers Or A Load Of Hot Air?

A scientific report published in California last week claimed that dairy cows in the area were producing almost 20 pounds (in weight, that's almost 10 kg) of gas every year, each. That's a huge, huge amount.

If that figure is accurate, it could mean that cow farts were causing more global warming than pollution from cars in that region, as millions of cows live there.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM

Yes, and yet USDA allows, insect parts and rodent hair in your food.

Well, I reserve the choice to know what I put in my burger and I don't control where everyone eats and what they eat.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM

There's a difference between insect parts accidentally getting into food (which is what the USDA is talking about) and worms deliberately included in food.

I'm not saying you should eat at McDonald's, not by a long shot. (I don't eat there myself, but it's because I don't care for the food - except the McRibs, a guilty pleasure indulged in only when they're available). Eat or don't eat where you want and what you want. Just saying that not everything one hears or reads is necessarily true, that the more inflammatory it is the more likely it is to be a hoax or hysteria or a conspiracy theory in action, and that perhaps one should research it a bit and use reason on it before passing it on as gospel truth. (And that "one" means anyone, including me, by the way.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink