Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times

Advertisements

Do you ever dine in fast food restaurants and if you do,do you ever notice the bottom of the barrel of society while there?
Maybe it's just my area and I don't usually dine in,but when I do it gets pretty scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,260 times
I don't go often...and I'm not sure what "the bottome of the barrel of society" is, but I've seen older (senior citizens) people, young, working people (still in work clothes), people with children, people with suits and lap tops, a mix.

What I did see when I was there was very very poor customer service.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
I read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser; it totally cured me of fast food.

I wasn't a major customer before that, but wasn't above a burger ot taco from time to time. But now, I just have no desire. Eating should be more than a biological necessity, and the nutrition/calorie ratio is too often way too low.

A little more on-topic; I think there is an undercurrent of class warfare going on in regard to fast food. There's a commercial for KFC running right now asking if you could make a fried chicken dinner for a family of 4 for under $9.99

The "Extra value" menu concept has provem to be a winner.

I do not think I'm a better person than someone who eats fast food, but I hope I'm a little more aware of some of the issues that surround fast food; be it understanding the real costs behind that 99 cent burger to the joys of cooking your own meals from scratch.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,153 times
My wife and I have a combined household income of right around 3x the average of our small town. We do fast food from time-to-time (from McDonalds, to Taco Bell, to Wendy's, to Chic-fil-A, to Sonic). If that makes us "bottom of the barrel" society... well.. that's us.

We go because it's quick when we're running around. We prefer to cook at home, but with one child in band and basketball, one in orchestra, and one in theater and student council, it's not easy with all the running around we have to do. And yeah, sometimes I go in my athletic shorts and t-shirt because my slacks and shirt I wear to work aren't comfortable to run around in all the time.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:19 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,252 times
I think you will find a mix of people eating fast food,Go to the Buffet places thats usually far worse

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,948,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I think you will a mix of people eating fast food,Go to the Buffet places thats usually far worse
I dated a girl when I was in Omaha, NE. She was a very beautiful, smart woman going to college while I was going through an Air Force school (even though I was Navy). One day she said that her family invited me to go to a lunch buffet with them on an upcoming weekend. It was very late for a lunch buffet, but I went with the invitation anyway.

When we got there, her father was so... er... uh.. um.. "frugal" (*cough*) that he stretched what was the last 30 mins of the lunch buffet right into the dinner buffet so he wouldn't have to pay for both meals. It was soooo embarassing for me!! I could tell my girlfriend was embarassed also, but she said that was common for her father.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,252 times
Hmm..I never even thought of that not that i would do it.
The last time i was at a buffet,I was getting some food and a kid in line next to..
Me threw up in his hand.That was the end of my meal.
I find buffet places to have not so good food but alot of it.
Chinese Buffet can be decent,Probably getting off topic so....

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser; it totally cured me of fast food.
Me too! I was so grossed out by what I read. Totally turned me off of fast food.

Here in Australia, the meat pie is big - it's Australia's version of the Big Mac. There was a report by a Consumer Reports type group here, called Choice, on what exactly constituted "meat" in a meat pie This was about 5 years ago - haven't eaten a commercial meat pie since. I've made my own a few times, and prefer those, just as I prefer homemade hamburgers.

A few years ago I had KFC, and was so disappointed. It was all greasy skin and I doubt it was a chicken. Must have been a pigeon it was so skinny. Just not good value.

As far as fast-food patrons being "bottom of the barrel", I would say it depends on the area. When I used to eat the odd fast food meal, there was everyone from teenagers, to decent-looking families (probably there after a busy afternoon of soccer or football practise) to senior citizens. It can be a very cheap meal, especially with a coupon.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM

230 posts, read 875,318 times
I go to fast food places about once every couple of months when I get a craving for a fish sandwich, my favorite junk food fix. I don't make a habit of dining in fast food places, though. I imagine a lot of families who can't afford to eat out otherwise go to fast food places because of the low prices and the fact that you don't have to tip. Also, some parents probably feel that bringing the kids to an informal place is easier because if the kids act up it's not as big a deal as it would be somewhere else. I know some people who take their families to eat at fast food joints 2-3 times per week. I think that's just wrong.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:06 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,601 times
Around here everyone stops in at fast food once in a while.

As for those buffets, we usually avoid them, even in nice restaurants. For one, we are small eaters anyway.
Big thing though, too many other people who don't have good hygiene. People who use the bathroom or blow their nose and don't wash afterwords. These are the same people who use the tongs in the line in front of you. No thanks, I'll take plate service please. At least you know that all employees are required to wash their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink