Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,714,092 times

Advertisements

I remember there was one when I was little that was so good. It had ground beef. That's all I remember. Anyone have any good ones?

The only one (other than batter dipped fried chicken) that I've tried is this. It was YUMMY. I might make it tomorrow.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...ck%20dumplings

Last edited by NicoleJ; 11-20-2008 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,578,938 times
Hi, I have an old and a newer Bisquick cookbook. One of the 'all time favorites' is the Sloppy Joe Bake..:
Heat oven to 375. grease a round pan, 9 x 1 1/2 inches. Make beef and sloppy joe sauce as directed on the can. Stir 2 cups Bisquick, 1/2 cup milk, 2 Tablespoons softened butter, and 1 egg until soft dough forms.

Spread dough in bottom and up the side of the pan to within 1/4 in. of the rim. Spoon beef mixture evenly over the dough.

Bake uncovered for 25 mins. Arrange cheese triangles (4 slices American cheese) on top of beef mixture. Bake about 5 mins. or until the cheese is melted. Aboout 6 servings at 310 calories each w/fat at 135 calories ea. ( 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat diet exchanges)

This was also in the old cookbook. Very tasty. My sons used to like this when they were little. I still fix it for my husband and myself. Leftovers warmed in MW are good on reheat with lowered power Great with a salad and Sweet tea!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
One that I grew up on was a variant of a tuna casserole. Cook up a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, drain and place in a wide shallow casserole dish. Mix in a can or two of tuna (depending on how meat-hungry the family is and on how much tuna you have on hand) and a can of cream soup. We always used cream of mushroom but I'll bet it would be tasty with other varieties as well. Mix up a batch of biscuit dough according to the Bisquick box directions and dollop spoons-full over the tuna mixture. Sometimes we'd add grated cheese to the biscuit dough, though not always. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the tuna part is bubbly-hot and the biscuit topping is golden and done-looking, about 20-25 minutes (sorry for the non-specific time, it's been a long time since we fixed this).

There isn't any reason you couldn't use other things besides tuna, of course. Ground beef would be tasty, as would cut-up cooked chicken. For that matter, you could cut up leftover pot roast and use that, too.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
There isn't any reason you couldn't use other things besides tuna, of course. Ground beef would be tasty, as would cut-up cooked chicken. For that matter, you could cut up leftover pot roast and use that, too.
I swear it's like you were reading my mind. I was just thinking "Tuna is to be used in sandwiches only, lol"! This does sound good w/ chicken though...

I wonder if that sloppy joe one is the one I'm thinking about from when I was little? Is it possible to mix it w/ the bisquick or does it have to go on top?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Someone mentioned the Bisquick 'Impossible Pies' recently--several of those sound interesting.

I've had the Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie which must be similar to the recipe in the previous post. It was good.

Bisquick is better than flour for coating vegetables before frying--squash,okra, tomatoes and eggplant. FWIW.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Bisquick reicpes?

For those who use Bisquick, what recipes do you make with it (other than sausage balls, pancakes, biscuits, etc)???

I want some new ideas for using it up. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,695 times
I haven't done this one yet, but it is on my "to try" list. Mixing the sour cream into the biscuit mix is what caught my attention.

Chicken & Biscuits recipe at Kraftfoods.com

Old 02-11-2009, 02:52 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
When I was growing up, my mom made "tuna roll up." I still crave it once in awhile and make it at least once a year.

You follow the directions for the biscuit mix (with a bit more flour added) and roll it out into a large rectangle. Spread or spoon tuna and mayo (already mixed together) in a thin layer over the dough. Then roll up carefully into and log and slice into about 1.5 - 2 inch discs. Place the discs flat side down and bake according to the box directions. They will puff up a lot. Then we pour cream of mushroom soup over the top. It sounds really weird, but it is soooooo good. Gotta make this soon!!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
We make this - you can actually substitute opo squash if you don't care for zucchini.

User Recipe Display (http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/community/recipeexchange/UserRecipeDisplay.aspx?group_id=1&user_recipe_id=1 30452 - broken link)

Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM

I LOVE all these ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink