Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

My son's school has this potluck for about 20 people (mainly kids) at lunch time every 2 months.

I usually send in chips or something like dessert but this time we have to send in some main dish.

I don't want to spend too much $$ and it has to be kid friendly.

If you guys have any simple ideas or links, throw them out. I have to send it in the day of the gathering and they don't eat till about midday. (I am assuming they can refrig. items).

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:34 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,873 times
Ziti works! Very inexpensive if you do this>> Box of ziti (cooked) place in buttered casserole dish. Pour spaghetti sauce (any kind, ragu is ok)over ziti and lightly mix. Sprinkle top with cheese (parmesan, mozarella, even cheddar works) Heat at $350 til cheese on top is bubbly. This is very inexpensive and kid friendly.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Kid's can't pass up Mac & Cheese

Put a twist on it and add some of them new mini pepperoni's

Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Thanks.

I've decided to go with beans (black) and tomatoes, onions and green peppers and rice. I make it for our family and call it our chili (no meat). Add it on top of rice...it should make a decent amount for a potluck.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,167,304 times
Mac and cheese is the way to go. You can even add in some hot dogs or ham chunks.

I never thought to add pepperoni. Great idea!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
It is so hard to please young kids, I would really dread such a challenge. A lot of them won't touch "real" mac 'n cheese, they want the boxed kind. Ziti is great, although a lot won't eat the sauce. How old are the kids? Hopefully they are a bit older, and less difficult to please. I'd probably go with something like a healthy version of oven-baked chicken fingers, some cut up fruit etc. But I see you've come up with something very creative. Good luck with your "chili"!

Editing to say that the more I think about this, the tastier your dish sounds. I'd like to make something like that myself. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 04-13-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 05:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,323,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It is so hard to please young kids, I would really dread such a challenge. A lot of them won't touch "real" mac 'n cheese, they want the boxed kind. Ziti is great, although a lot won't eat the sauce. How old are the kids? Hopefully they are a bit older, and less difficult to please. I'd probably go with something like a healthy version of oven-baked chicken fingers, some cut up fruit etc. But I see you've come up with something very creative. Good luck with your "chili"!

Editing to say that the more I think about this, the tastier your dish sounds. I'd like to make something like that myself. Would you mind sharing the recipe?
I agree- I would love your recipe too-But with young kids maybe rethink - I don't know how many would like black beans, tomatoes & peppers-rice ok

Old 04-13-2010, 05:11 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,711 times
Yeah, your recipe sounds great.

Whenever I have to do something like this, I usually make this homemade chip-dip. My son loves it.

You use 2 cans of refried beans
1 large jar of salsa (i.e., Pace Picante Sauce)
small block of extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag of white tortilla chips

Shred the cheese and put it into a bowl.
Empty the refried beans into another bowl and microwave on high for about 2 minutes until the beans are slightly melted. Fold the shredded cheese into the beans, and pour in the salsa. Return it to the microwave -- on high for about 2 min. / covered.

Dip the chips into it, and enjoy. (Makes 8-10 servings)

Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,708 times
Cucumbers! Really!

Peel and slice cucumbers and fill a plate or serving dish with them. Add one pack cherry tomatoes throughout the plate but cut them in half for easy eating.
Squeeze a lime or two over this ^^^^ add a few shakes of salt.
Now open a can of pitted black olives and a can of small dill pickles and place the items throughout the plate.

Should be all of 10.00 dollars and I bet you take home an empty plate!

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,589,708 times
Small deli sausages cooked in crock pot with two different types of bbq sauce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes