Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks.

I've decided to go with beans (black) and tomatoes, onions and green peppers and rice. I make it for our family and call it our chili (no meat). Add it on top of rice...it should make a decent amount for a potluck.
I thought you said kid friendly? beans & tomatoes?

Joke'n w/ya but seriously, come on! Home made mac & cheese like everyone else is say'n. It's easy. If not, how about rice and cream of mushroom soup? Easy, if they like rice & mushrooms.

What you got doesn't sound bad, but I don't like beans. Take out the beans and add ground beef. Then you'll be gold.

Hey, you know them, I don't. Just wanted to give ya heck and some ideas. I wish ya the best and I know you'll do just fine. Most of all, be there w/your kids and have fun w/them! ya really don't go to these things for the food anyway.

Let us know how it goes! Take pix!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, stuffed shells, mac and cheese . . . what kid doesn't like pasta, and it's so easy.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
We just did a tostada party for 2nd graders & they loved it. Tostada shells, refried beans, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped peppers, salsa. Built to order!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We just did a tostada party for 2nd graders & they loved it. Tostada shells, refried beans, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, chopped peppers, salsa. Built to order!
I like that idea. Could even use pita pocket to somewhat control the mess? Yep, I was dream'n, that wound't even help control the mess. Then again 2nd graders are probably cleaner than a 14yr old boy.

I'm hungry now!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:47 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
I've had good luck with pigs in a blanket at pot lucks--kids love hot dogs and they can just pick these up without worrying about a bun.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:30 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
When all else fails, a bowl of buttered whole grain noodles with sauce on the side. Some kids will only want the plain noodles, some will want the sauce spooned over them. Let them add a few dashes of parmesan cheese if they want to.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
Small deli sausages cooked in crock pot with two different types of bbq sauce!
Next time, mix grape jelly (2 parts bbq sauce to 1 part jelly) with the sauce. Whisk together in a saucepan until thoroughly blended, then add to the sausages in the crockpot... it helps the sauce stick to the sausages.

I like to bring spaghetti pie to these things... always a big hit and quick to make.

Once, someone brought ham and american cheese on white bread, no condiments... I'd never seen such a simple idea at a potluck! She cut them in half... they were the first things the kids grabbed and it was the first empty plate! And I'm sure it was cheap - Loaf of bread- $1.85, package of Ham - $3, package of Am cheese - $3... really smart!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:11 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Next time, mix grape jelly (2 parts bbq sauce to 1 part jelly) with the sauce. Whisk together in a saucepan until thoroughly blended, then add to the sausages in the crockpot... it helps the sauce stick to the sausages.
Haven't tried that. I've always used half grape jelly and half chili sauce.

I gotta try BBQ sauce!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
I second the tostadas, our kids love them and will eat several. You can also make taco meat and get some taco shells, since you will already be shredding cheese and lettuce for the tostadas. For grownups or more adventurous kids, try guacamole in place of the beans on the tostadas. A little Spanish rice to round out the meal and there you go!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My son's school has this potluck for about 20 people (mainly kids) at lunch time every 2 months.

I usually send in chips or something like dessert but this time we have to send in some main dish.

I don't want to spend too much $$ and it has to be kid friendly.

If you guys have any simple ideas or links, throw them out. I have to send it in the day of the gathering and they don't eat till about midday. (I am assuming they can refrig. items).

Thanks...
1. Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Mac. Make about two boxes of this with maybe two pounds of ground chuck. If the kit doesn't have enough cheese, add some Velveeta to taste. Very inexpensive and

2. Tacos. Old El Paso has kits for soft shell or hard shell tacos. You can use shredded chicken (buy two rotisserie chickens at the supermarket deli) or brown two pounds of ground chuck in a skillet with the taco seasoning packet. Instructions are on the box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes