Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

If it at my mom's (most likely will be)
stuffing
Potato pie-Not sweet potato
Swiss vegetable medley
Green bean casserole
Artichoke pie
Homemade Brioche muffins
Cranberries-Canned for some reason everyone likes canned.
pumpkin bread
banana bread
Apple pie
Not sure what else. It's pretty much the same menu all of the time with 1 or 2 new dishes added. She makes the best Thanksgiving dinner and her Turkey is always moist and juicy. If anyone wants recipes for the above I'd be glad to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I have a backup plan in place because of the turkey shortage, so they say.
If they jack up the price I'm not paying it.

Duck or chicken comes to mind.

I too, have a plan B

im going to nail a wild turkey with my car..... Roadkill thanksgiving,,,i'll be mighty thankful and pay homage to the turkey gods when I say grace

to the op

that sounds delicious!!

lube up your turkey with olive oil rub it all over,,then season
cook to 165....not 180....about 20 mins a pound at 325- 350f

when you take the bird out of the oven, let it set for 20 minutes..... then carve into it

you can leave it uncovered while in oven

Old 10-09-2015, 09:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I'm so bad. If I can do a pre-smoked turkey and warm it through in the oven, that's what I'll do. My two boys didn't even like turkey much growing up and I was a single mom so... usually they liked smoked turkey legs.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 PM

32,943 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Something like this?
That looks like a turkey mummy!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
This will be my first non-veg'n Thanksgiving in 26 years, so I'm going all out. Huge turkey, sausage stuffing, bacon-wrapped everything.

Welcome back to the land of the sane and happy! (I get the vegetarian thing, but vegan seems just so over the top. Just my opinion - no insult intended.)

Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Something like this?
YIKES!!!!!! All that bacon fat will ruin the drippings for the gravy. With all that bacon on the turkey, would you even be able to taste turkey?

Old 10-10-2015, 08:02 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber123 View Post
I am going to try fresh herbs this year to stuff the turkey. Rosemary, thyme and sage along with my usual lemon and onion.

Each year, the last hold-out in my vegetable garden is the rosemary plant, so last year I put a large amount of freshly-cut rosemary into my turkey, and it was...incredible! Both the aroma and the taste were just great.

Right now, the only two things in my garden that are still thriving are the parsley and the rosemary, so I will probably cut the parsley this week, chop it, and freeze it for later use. If last year is any indication, the rosemary should still be good in November.

And, I want to urge everyone to brine your turkey. Many markets now sell brining kits and very large ziplock-type bags for this purpose, and I can tell you that it makes a huge difference. If you brine your turkey overnight with salt, sugar, and herbs, it will be much more moist and more flavorful when you finish roasting it.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:01 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Pretty much the same as usual. I'll put an unstuffed turkey on the smoker. Breast side down so it is self basting and then turn it over when it is time to brown it.

A big fancy green salad, some sort of steamed vegetable, sautéd mushrooms, and two desserts, one of which will be pecan pie.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
YIKES!!!!!! All that bacon fat will ruin the drippings for the gravy. With all that bacon on the turkey, would you even be able to taste turkey?
I never actually used pan dripping for the gravy; just homemade broth.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Ive never done a turkey but I do do chicken breasts that way. Pound a skinless/boneless breast flat, sprinkle with a little seasoning. I use a Italian mix most of the time but whatever you have on hand works. I put some cheese in the middle, most of the time I use a string cheese stick. Wrap the breast around the cheese. Wrap spiral with one strip of bacon and then I do one strip of bacon end to end - keeps the cheese from escaping when it melts. Tack in place with a handful of toothpicks. I put it on a wire rack inside a baking an and bake at around 350 .

Re: pan drippings - yeah, I don't know how that would work out with the turkey. I always have the quart size gravy from Costco to supplement my turkey or as a back-up anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink