Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 PM

221 posts, read 202,991 times

Advertisements

My mother grew up on Guam post-WWII ... so there was a lot of Spam in her repertoire. It certainly wasn't all she cooked, but it's one of the things I remember we had prepared a number of different ways. I actually like the stuff, but my body doesn't tolerate the high salt and fat content well anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
I still eat all of the above!

Let's not forget Spam, Rice-A-Roni, Steak-Umms, ramen, boxed macaroni & cheese, Cheez Whiz...

Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Childhood = from scratch meals made from whole foods.

Trying to emulate in adulthood.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,641,644 times
Blueberries. As a kid I loved anything with blueberries, Pie,strudel,cup cakes, pancake syrup. And one day,about 10 years ago I bought a pack of sweet rolls filled with blueberries. After eating one I noticed it left a terrible after taste and I discovered the next one was covered in a gray fuzzy mold. I got sick to my stomach and have lost all desire for blueberries.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,672,166 times
Beans and potatoes, and a lot of it!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:57 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Childhood = from scratch meals made from whole foods.

Trying to emulate in adulthood.
This.

Mom never fed us Ramen, canned meats (except sardines), pre-packaged meals, etc.

That said, as much as I try to emulate it, I miss her cooking in general.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I still eat all of the above!

Let's not forget Spam, Rice-A-Roni, Steak-Umms, ramen, boxed macaroni & cheese, Cheez Whiz...
I NEVER had that sort of stuff! And, I never fed my kids that sort of food!

My kid's friends were amazed that we would have mashed potatoes for dinner when it wasn't a holiday!!! My mom cooked meals from scratch, and so do I! And now, my daughter's BFF does the same for her own family, despite being raised on Taco Bell and McDonalds!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:13 PM

964 posts, read 995,068 times
Food from my mother's kitchen wasn't anything to write home about, imo, nor anything to emulate now. Basic meat-and-potatoes with 1 green vegetable. I remember a lot of red meat. Occasionally, baked mac-and-cheese, instead of potatoes, or rice. Not very imaginative. I think I'd have enjoyed Rice-a-Roni, but we never got that.

I became a vegetarian as soon as I left home for college, and really got into global cuisine on the vegetarian side. The change to such a diverse menu was liberating. And a lot more healthy. Though I'm back to eating meat now, my mom is still convinced that "health food" is going to kill me. She thinks it's an unhealthy diet, lol. She thinks people who are concerned with a healthy diet are fanatics.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:22 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
My mother cooked from scratch back in the 50's, but I remember a treat sitting on the front
porch for lunch...baloney sandwich and Kool Aid...don't care much for either now but back then
I thought it was great.
Dessert was rare, sometimes Jello or better yet chocolate pudding that was cooked, not instant.

Last edited by pekemom; 02-11-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
When I was growing up in the late '40s-the '60s, my mother's food wasn't fancy, and it sometimes wasn't even very tasty, but at least it was nutritious.

Apparently Mom never forgot what she had learned in her college classes dealing with nutrition, because every dinner had to begin with either a green salad, or half a grapefruit, or a glass of juice. And, she rarely used Iceberg lettuce, opting instead for Romaine, as a result of its higher vitamin content.

After the salad/grapefruit/juice, we had a protein source, plus a green vegetable, and either potatoes or rice. The protein source could have been lean beef, or perhaps lamb, or chicken, and we had fish once a week. And, we had dessert only on very rare occasions.

On very hot summer days, as a result of not having air-conditioning, dinner would be a salad platter of tuna, hard-boiled eggs, potato salad, tomato slices, and either cole slaw or cucumber salad, all served on a bed of lettuce.

Although I pride myself on being--overall--a better cook than my mother was, I definitely emulate her approach to serving well-balanced meals.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-11-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink