Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of maple syrup either - or anything maple really. Lived in CT when I was young and in school we made this nasty maple sugar candy. To this day, I can't even stand the smell of maple. I do like pancakes, with butter and blueberry syrup and coffee....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Man, this post reminds me that the other night I was going to make waffles & eggs for dinner, but found out that the Bisquik I bought had already been opened So we only had eggs and bacon. I want waffles and pancakes with syrup..
You probably had the ingredients in the pantry to make your own pancake mix. Not much to it.

Me, I'm voting for plain buttermilk pancakes with warmed maple syrup and some homemade sausage patties on the side.

Last edited by Debsi; 03-24-2009 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: I gotta admit I prefer the fake syrup for pancakes too.. I only use the good stuff in recipes.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I'm another that doesn't like maple syrup. I don't care for the old fashioned cane syrup either. It's just too, too sweet. Yeah, I confess. I like the Log Cabin type the best. It goes best with sausage or ham.

Homemade pancakes with a little extra baking powder, please!! Lots of butter.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I make pancakes entirely from scratch, absolutely no mixes used here. The kids love them, although they don't like natural maple syrup. They like the fake stuff from the grocery store. Me, I prefer real maple syrup, although I like the fake stuff, too. And we've never put butter on our pancakes, I suppose that's good, considering the cholesterol in butter.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Like so many others here, buttermilk pancakes with butter and grade B maple syrup. Couple of sausage pucks on the side in the syrup. Cup(s) of good coffee.

I also put the syrup on oatmeal and cream of wheat. I grew up with Vermont Maid syrup. I might have to give it a try again

When I was a little kid my grandfather would put Brer Rabbit Molasses on his cakes. I tried it once but didn't like it. I wonder what it would taste like to my more sophisticated (older ) palate today?

Last edited by quiet walker; 03-24-2009 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-24-2009, 09:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
I really prefer waffles to pancakes, I can eat a couple of pancakes and I feel so bloated I need to unbutton my pants.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
My favorite pancakes are macadamia nut with coconut syrup. I can only get them in Hawaii. However, I do bring coconut syrup home from the islands.

At home, I usually make buttermilk pancakes and maple or coconut syrup, no butter.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:32 AM

602 posts, read 2,034,241 times
When it comes to regular buttermilk pancakes, its REAL maple syrup all the way.

But, I do prefer the butter pecan syrup on chocolate chip pancakes.

With blueberry pancakes, blueberry syrup is the best, but the other 2 are just fine.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I adore Pancakes, always an absolute joy to have in New England B&Bs ! My preference is for either Maple Syrup Grade A light Amber or Grade A Dark Amber ( the medium one does not taste as distinctive as either "extremes" to me) . Only a little drizzle thoguh or it becomes too cloying. Blueberry pancakes are just so delicious....

We stayed in a Maple Syrup farm in Vermont a couple of years back and they had a whole range, everything they cooked had some Maple Syrup in it.

When in Quebec a few years ago in Winter I had some Maple Syrup straight from the tree, frozen on snow it was glorious .
I do not have a sweet tooth at all so it had to be pretty good !

I love crepes too, sweet or savoury . When sweet, served very simply with a little sprinkled brown sugar and a squeeze of lemon.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
I can't imagine hating real maple syrup. It's the best stuff in the world!

I also like a couple eggs over easy with my pancakes. I like to dip them in the egg yolk!

Where I'm from, the sugar is running, so and people stand in line at the sugar shacks in the morning on weekends for their pancakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink