Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe they had the paper out with the food, and threw it away after the food was all gone?

I have to admit these kinds of cultural events can be a pain, if it's required. But you did say something about "volunteers", so hopefully your company didn't require people to do it. When my college-age kids were younger, throughout the years they were required to do cultural projects at school, and sometimes send in cultural dishes. Our families have been here for centuries, so we don't have any English/Irish/Scottish etc. dishes that we cook, we like plain old American food. It was awkward, and one teacher was rude about "our lack of a heritage". So maybe it's "my" type of person your company was trying to please, by not making too big a fuss over what was brought in? They just wanted it to be very casual? I don't know, I'm just trying to see it from another angle. I do agree it was thoughtless if they just threw out your paper without sharing it, though, if that is what happened. It's an interesting bit of history! It would make a cultural potluck all the more interesting, if everyone described the history of a dish.

LOL--you have an "American" heritage! Who's to say that's not rich culinarily? The first ice cream cone, the first hot dog, the first Whopper. Especially the Southern U.S., we sure do a lot of "different" dishes down here. But then I've never had a Jersey? ham or scrapple, so the North has some good stuff too. In fact, the Amish are responsible for a lot of dishes that you would not find abroad.

Speaking of the English, by the way, I was watching a show the other day about curry. Do you realize there is no real translation for curry in India, where it was SAID to have originated? Nope, curry was an English invention--from Indian spices to be sure, but English through and through.

Thanks to those who gave me reps regarding this thing--I'd pretty well forgotten all about it already. I've got a different "issue" on my mind now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink