Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM

27 posts, read 169,212 times

Advertisements

I agree with others about the timeframe playing a major factor in how welcome outsiders are. We moved to Colorado in 97 and there was a large influx from California and Texas around that time. People were unhappy with the number of transplants and really liked to complain. Even at that time, however, we didn't run into any real problems, just a few comments about too many people moving to Colorado. That has slowed tremendously and with the slower growth/influx seems to be a lot less complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Colorado is welcoming enough, and many are transplants. Loveland does not have the 'class' structure of other Colorado snobby towns. Just leave the CA style 'truck' (CLEAN, 'wings', lighted running board & custom tail lights and bumpers) and license plates + attitude back in CA. Get a WY truck, mud and gun rack WITH GUNS

Unfortunately, many us us in the western states have been forced from Colorado and other GREAT places due to influx of Real Estate dollars flowing from CA making taxes too high. (It is too bad CA didn't force $$ to be re-invested in CA, then we would all be happier and could have afforded to stay.)

30 yrs later, I'm now being forced from WA for the same reason. The tragedy is that each place I established was farm / ranch which took many years of improving fences, buildings, plantings, and soils. I ended up working 1 week / month just to cover the tax increases brought by CA wealth. The CA immigrants to my employer got to keep their $20-$50k extra CA wages and us locals got dropped in pay scale, while the CA employees cried about the rain and having to leave 'sun'. They were treated royally and lived on the golf courses and stripped the forests and lined the lakes with their $1m homes. Pretty ugly.

BUT in retrospect, my Colorado tax increases were digestible (tho they didn't feel that way in 1980). My WA taxes went from $800 / yr to more than $12,000/yr so I'm off on a another quest to find affordable farm / ranch land. Getting pretty tough, WY (my first choice) was ruined largely by Coloradoans who fled 30 yrs ago + the CA and TX 'vacation home' money.
WY'r hate 'Greenies' (colorado)... so what goes around, comes around...

...We will probably all end up back in CA when it goes broke and lets State land go to the highest bidder.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:10 AM

11 posts, read 46,472 times
Yes I can understand why people would be upset. We kind of had the same thing happen here where we live. A bunch of people from the beach cities moved to our city because you could get more house for your money and the attitudes changed a lot in the area. Its hard but there are a ton a good people out there still with some bad apples. I just try to look for the good in people and I can usually find it. I just try to be fair and treat them the way I would want to be treated Thanks for all your advice and input everyone. ")

Old 11-06-2011, 12:50 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Just reallized I was wearing a black and grey flannel shirt over my black and white Minneapolis Malt Shop t-shirt, black and grey Pumas; normally this attire might feel appropriate, not today however.. The Oakland Raiders and some of their fans are probably one of my only real big gripes about some Californians.(lol).Don't worry I changed clothes..whew we that was close!!

Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 15,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enikkor View Post
I'm from South Dakota which very few people come from. When I travel with South Dakota plates, the only people who notices me are from SD as well, and it's usually, So where are you from in SD?

I would imagine Loveland and Ft. Collins are very urban areas and there are a lot of people from everywhere.

I might worry more in the mountains of rural Kentucky or W. Virginia, but even there, people will just look and turn away.
Hi. Was the cost of living change tough coming from the dakotas. rent in your area seems to be 2X than dakotas but the quality of life i think would be worth it. I would like to move to loveland possibly in the next 2 years or FT collins. so what do you think.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:24 PM

28 posts, read 79,389 times
@Lazieboy

We're planning to move from S. Dakota to the Loveland area, after a thorough visit this spring. If the visit turns fine, we are seriously going to retire there.
The main reasons are:
1. More things to do, like hiking, biking and other outdoor activity.
2. More culture
3. proximity to denver and Ft. Collins, Boulder
4. More photographic opportunities.
5. Proximity to Denver Int. airport.
6. proximity to shopping and entertainment.

The drawbacks:
1. Income tax for retiree income..
2. that stupid car ownership tax
3. more sales taxes

Old 01-24-2012, 08:16 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
We haven't sacrificed anyone from CALIFORNIA for a LONG time.

RP

Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
We haven't sacrificed anyone from CALIFORNIA for a LONG time.

RP
Oh well, it's getting harder and harder to find the requisite virgin for the ceremonies....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Oh well, it's getting harder and harder to find the requisite virgin for the ceremonies....
Tim Tebow?

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enikkor View Post
@Lazieboy

1. Income tax for retiree income..
I thought that was exempt up to 20k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area