Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,300 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband & I are moving to the Fort Collins area around the end of April. We live in Arkansas, and have never even been to Colorado at all. Our plan is to have a place to live & at least job interviews set up when we get there. We were excited to find the Ramblewood Apartments, which by their website looks really nice. However,I've seen some bad reviews on other websites. So more opinions on these would be appreciated. Or if anyone knows of anymore reasonable places to rent,please share. And as far as finding jobs, we've been looking on Craigslist. Advice on finding good jobs would be appreciated also. If you have any other advice or info that you think we might need, please feel free to share!! Thanks so much!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CColes7 View Post
Hi! My husband & I are moving to the Fort Collins area around the end of April. We live in Arkansas, and have never even been to Colorado at all. Our plan is to have a place to live & at least job interviews set up when we get there. We were excited to find the Ramblewood Apartments, which by their website looks really nice. However,I've seen some bad reviews on other websites. So more opinions on these would be appreciated. Or if anyone knows of anymore reasonable places to rent,please share. And as far as finding jobs, we've been looking on Craigslist. Advice on finding good jobs would be appreciated also. If you have any other advice or info that you think we might need, please feel free to share!! Thanks so much!! :-)
Do you like living in an apartment complex full of off-campus college students? That's pretty much what Rambleweed is. I lived there 15 years ago and the apartments were pretty spartan back then. The complex is fairly old and it's not in the most convenient part of the Fort.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,750,133 times
While I have not actually stepped foot in Ramblewood apartments, their pictures look a lot nicer then they really seem to be from the outside.

The neighborhood is an older area, and the upkeep could be better, but overall I do not think they are in that bad of a neighborhood.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Thank y'all for replying! I don't think the college students will bother us too bad. My husband & I are both young(I'm 21&he is fixing to be 25). We've been married 2 1/2 yrs and we don't do any partying,but I don't think they would bother us. And the apartments not being the most updated wouldn't be a big problem either. I've just read where people have had bad experience getting things fixed and with management. We're just don't want to get messed around. Do y'all have any other recommendations?? Its just us two, our yorkie, and our cat.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM

99 posts, read 226,179 times
There's so much new building going on that you could live in a brand new place by the time you get here. Max Flats might be done by then. Close to downtown and campus.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Trust us... you can do much better than a complex filled w/ off campus college kids.

Quality of life.... Think about it.... Consider a place with elderly couples ! (Sleep, quiet, no vandalism, no theft, 'howdy' rather than '@#%' every morning and night...)

There are lots of nice comfy places tucked FAR away from advertised complexes.

YMMV

Old 11-23-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Trust us... you can do much better than a complex filled w/ off campus college kids.

Quality of life.... Think about it.... Consider a place with elderly couples ! (Sleep, quiet, no vandalism, no theft, 'howdy' rather than '@#%' every morning and night...)

There are lots of nice comfy places tucked FAR away from advertised complexes.

YMMV
Again, thank y'all both for replying!! I will try those MaxFlats. StealthRabbit, believe me, I would love to find a nice quiet place for a reasonable price. I'm just having trouble finding them :-(

We won't be able to come look before we actually move, so I'm having to look through internet.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-23-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 06:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Consider looking BEYOND the internet (the really nice places are not likely to get on the internet, as landlords with NICE places don't want to deal with riff-raff from internet clients.) I never advertise my places on the internet.

Word of mouth, networking, notices at gardening and hiking clubs and signs, friends of current tenants.

You need to find some friends in FC to find you a place. I would get connected with some churches or service groups.
It is only an $89 flight to Denver (one way) on SWA sale dates. Worth a weekend to come see. Come for Valentines Day and enjoy nearby Loveland and then some great skiing at Winter Park or similar.

I have moved cross country without a place to live, (not recommended, but possible). as a young couple w/o kids it would be EZ, as you can split up and find twice as many places per day. When you have a moving truck full of stuff and a few screaming kids... it gets considerably more complicated.

Why Ft Collins? It is not the easiest place to come cold turkey. (it is spendy, big, and GOOD jobs are scarce) Granted it is a nice place, but so are many others that are cheaper and easier to find work and affordable housing.

??? so we can help...??? (we need to know more)
What type of work do you want?
What are your skills?
What do you want to learn? (each job is FREE training for your next)
Will you be doing school?
What is your budget?
How much cash are you bringing? (6 month minimum + transportation, rents, utilities, and deposits) Probably gonna take as much as $10k. That can be a boatload for some, and pocket change for others (2 earner couple would have been a HUGE windfall).

Other advice... (not solicited..)

Get great jobs and work, invest, and play very hard for 10 yrs as a working couple; and you will be able to kiss employment GOODBYE and enjoy your family and each other for the rest of your life. (living in a low cost area and being wise about spending)

Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider looking BEYOND the internet (the really nice places are not likely to get on the internet, as landlords with NICE places don't want to deal with riff-raff from internet clients.) I never advertise my places on the internet.

Word of mouth, networking, notices at gardening and hiking clubs and signs, friends of current tenants.

You need to find some friends in FC to find you a place. I would get connected with some churches or service groups.
It is only an $89 flight to Denver (one way) on SWA sale dates. Worth a weekend to come see. Come for Valentines Day and enjoy nearby Loveland and then some great skiing at Winter Park or similar.

I have moved cross country without a place to live, (not recommended, but possible). as a young couple w/o kids it would be EZ, as you can split up and find twice as many places per day. When you have a moving truck full of stuff and a few screaming kids... it gets considerably more complicated.

Why Ft Collins? It is not the easiest place to come cold turkey. (it is spendy, big, and GOOD jobs are scarce) Granted it is a nice place, but so are many others that are cheaper and easier to find work and affordable housing.

??? so we can help...??? (we need to know more)
What type of work do you want?
What are your skills?
What do you want to learn? (each job is FREE training for your next)
Will you be doing school?
What is your budget?
How much cash are you bringing? (6 month minimum + transportation, rents, utilities, and deposits) Probably gonna take as much as $10k. That can be a boatload for some, and pocket change for others (2 earner couple would have been a HUGE windfall).

Other advice... (not solicited..)

Get great jobs and work, invest, and play very hard for 10 yrs as a working couple; and you will be able to kiss employment GOODBYE and enjoy your family and each other for the rest of your life. (living in a low cost area and being wise about spending)

We were actually hoping to find somewhere in one of the smaller cities around Fort Collins like Loveland,Greeley, or Windsor. Its just everything I've found is expensive. We live in the hills here, and drive 30 min to work in a city with only like 7,000 people. So this will definitely be a whole new world to us!! Of course the cost of living is a little higher up there than it is here. Those Ramblewood Apts were between $800-900 with utilities, and that would be great if we could find something similar.
If we could get the chance to come before the move, we would.
As far as work, we will do whatever we have to at first. We're not in school. I would love to find a good receptionist/office job. I'm very fast at typing, experienced with Microsoft Word and Excel, and I've had experience with QuickBooks. I've never actually worked in a receptionist position, because around here they are far and few between and the ones that become available you have to have a couple years experience. Right now i work for USPS part-time as an RCA. But since I first turned 16 I've worked with the public. I graduated at 16 and got my Cosmetology License and worked 2 years self-employed, renting a booth. My husband isn't looking for any specific job. Right now he works at a gas station and does cellphone repair on the side (he worked in a Repair Store for a year.) But he's done everything from farming to being a Correctional Officer. He's also worked at factories. He's worked with the public a lot also. We are both people-persons. But like I said we will do whatever we have to. Working is not an option, its a priority.
Thank you so much for talking with me and giving us advice!! I really appreciate it!

Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,164 times
Default parking in ft collins

the whole city of Fort Collins you're only allowed to park for two days then they will tow your car keep that in mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by CColes7 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area