Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times

Advertisements

I prefer Fort Collins, but that's just my personal preference. The reason why I would prefer it is that it has a real downtown, it has the amentities of a major university, its school district (Poudre R-1) is considered better (though actually both are quite good), and is more of a community in that people tend to live, work, and play around town rather than commuting.

Loveland, however, is more convenient to Rocky Mountain National Park and to the big-city amenities of Denver, both major plusses. It's more "suburban" with more newer construction (though both towns have plenty of that). It also has a lake in the middle of town that's quite scenic. Property values were once slightly cheaper than Fort Collins, though that may not be the case anymore.

That being said, I think both towns have a lot to offer, and are not really all that much different from each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 PM

155 posts, read 284,777 times
Default Fort Collins/Loveland - Denver

I see it's about 51 miles from LOveland to downtown Denver. IF for some reason, I had to make that commute, how much traffic could I expect??

How suicidal would that be in the winter time?

I am asking because my bro needs a job back-up plan... if he cannot get a job in FC/Loveland, then commuting to Denver would be an option... last resort option, that is. But we need 2 know!

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
why would he work downtown?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:49 PM

Because he designed a "back-up plan" where if he cannot get a paralegal/legal assistant job in FC or Loveland, he can commute to Denver temporarily until he finds a job in FC/Loveland.

So, my question is.... how much traffic is there (granted you need to be at work by 8am or 8:30am)?

Is it safe or suicidal to drive down there in the winter time?

Any ideas??? What are some small towns south of Loveland that are not the sticks?

Old 02-03-2007, 01:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I was wondering more about what specific job was available downtown that was not between where he is/wants to be now. I wouldn't think a paralegal/assistant would have to work downtown in order to get work. There are attorneys all over the state.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:24 PM

66 posts, read 493,825 times
Default Commuting

Hi MaryLou,

A few years ago, I occassionally had to drive from Loveland to Colorado Springs.

I found that if I left at 6:00 am or a little before, I could beat the primary rush hour traffic through Denver. If I left between 6:30 and 7:00 am, then I would hit some bumper-to-bumper traffice on the north end, the Northglen area, Invesco Field, and DTC. If I waited until 8:00 ish to leave, I'd miss the heavy stuff, but would have a later start to the day. That was all before the "T-Rex" project which is now finished. It may be much better now.

Traffic will be heavy between Loveland and the Erie exit due to two lane traffic and conjestion. It will free up a little bit once you go from two lane to three lane traffic.

There won't be that many times when the roads will be impassable. Just start a little earlier, and go a little slower, watch out for the crazies and your bro should do fine.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM

90 posts, read 317,794 times
I-25 can have some pretty freaky fog / black ice problems between the Longmont exit (Rt 119) and Broomfield, in the northern part of the Denver metro area. It's unpredictable and infrequent ... but you need to pay attention. Commuters between Ft. C and Denver get accustomed to the (periodically) strange weather.

- KK

Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The AM commute Southbound into Denver will typically encounter heavy traffic somewhere on the North side of Denver ... about 120th Ave at I25. It can easily take another 20 minutes from there into downtown Denver.

Access from I25 in/out of downtown is pretty good with several major arteries that connect into I25.

Denver's "rush hour" Northward starts around 3-3:30PM (through 6PM) daily. The downtown exodus traffic thins out a bit past 120th/I25.

It's a marginal traffic capacity, at best. One stalled car, one little fender bender ... and traffic can get backed up for miles in both directions due to the obstruction or the "looky-lou's".

I25 is 2 lanes each direction at Loveland, and becomes 3 lanes at Longmont, not much further South from Loveland.

It's best to leave early to minimize the trip, about 1 hour in clear weather from Loveland at I25

There is a Park'n'Ride service from RTD to Denver downtown that is well worth considering if the bus schedule and stops coincide with your needs. Parking is free at the lot alongside I25.

Wintertime will typically have some problem days with black ice conditions.

One must be very careful on the return Northbound trip in the evening on the portions of I25 that are downhill sloped heading North. There are a few well known Northbound slopes just South of Erie (on I25 Northbound) that ice up badly and can have multiple car wrecks ... sliding off the road or hitting stranded cars when you can't avoid sliding into them after you crest the hill and see them ahead.

IMO, there will be a few treacherous commute days each year, but ... for the most part ... it's a very reasonable commute.

I did the Erie to Littleton commute for 5 years (in the 1990's) and only had a couple of days where it wasn't reasonable to do it. Prior to that, my wife did the KenCaryl to Longmont commute for 3 years, and it was OK ... except for the evening when she slid off I25 near Exit 232 and totalled our 1971 MB 220D (a great rear-wheel drive snow/ice car, BTW). She was unhurt, the crash was in very slow motion, but the car dropped off into a culvert and bent the chassis pretty badly as she avoided hitting any of the 30+ cars stopped/crashed on the icy highway ahead ....

I'd hardly call the commute "suicidal". Just be prepared with an appropriate vehicle (prefer AWD car Subie, Audi, MB, Volvo, etc ... not a 4x4 Truck or Jeep type vehicle) and a mellow attitude and you'll be OK.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I am very grateful that everyone chipped in. It would be a 60 miles each way ride, but it could be worked out if only for less than 6 months (hopefully less than that or not mecessary at all).

Thanks again!

ML

Old 03-15-2007, 01:20 AM

5 posts, read 28,968 times
Default Is Fort Collins or Loveland right for me?

I'm in So California right now, and want to buy a 3 bedroom house but the housing costs here make that impossible (we're renting now). So... we're looking for some place in CO because it's pretty, outdoorsy, and I couldn't bare anything colder.

I read that Fort Collins is a great place to live. But I've also read some posts saying that it's not. From what I've written below, does anyone know, for me would it be a great place or not?

I'm not that familiar with CO (just went on a couple ski trips as a kid to copper mt., breckenridge, vail, etc.). I'm not totally set on Ft C., so any other suggestions are welcome.

I'd like something that has:

- affordable housing (less than $200,000 for 3 bedroom)
- town with a pretty environment and town that has character (nature as opposed to cement, and neighborhoods that have some yard and DON'T look like cookie-cutter houses)
- low crime
- good place to raise family (we have a toddler and expect more in the future)
- laid back and friendly locals (not high stress, go go go environment)
- lots of outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, biking, camping, etc.)
- is not too conservative (we're more liberal)
- job opportunities in the Information Technology field nearby (i.e. network administrator, etc.)
- pedestrian friendly (i.e. can walk to library, grocery,... I don't like cities or neighborhoods that are ONLY houses, where you have to get in your car to go anywhere and can't just walk there... but that's a low priority compared to the rest of my list b/c I know that's hard to find).
- not too big of a city (i.e. not like LA, San Diego, or Denver... Austin TX is big, maybe a little too big, but it's not as bad b/c it's spread out and has smaller niches- just using that for a comparison point.)
- good school systems (kinder through HS)
- I don't want a wild party city at all, but SOME mild night-life might be nice.. (dancing, places to listen to live music and eat, etc.)

Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area