Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 19,623 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at Ft. Collins as a potential place to live... I really want to live close to the mountains and I know Ft. Collins is flatter than other nearby cities. Is the scenery nice? Is it close to the mountains? I'm from Chicago which is flat as... flat! What are some of the cool things about living in Ft. Collins? How does it compare to other nearby places like Boulder and Denver? How far is the drive to Rocky Mtn. NP? Does anybody ever visit Cheyenne? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 06:35 PM

423 posts, read 1,958,946 times
I think Fort Collins has great scenery. There is horsetooth resevoir on the west side of town, and several other smaller bodies of water throughout Fort Collins. Old Town is a historic part of town with most of the buildings being refurbished. It is great for an afternoon of shopping and eating and just looking at all the art in that area. I also think the city does a terrific job of keeping the curb appeal. They go as far as to dictate how many trees a business has to have on the property. RMNP is only about a 30 minute drive from here. You can also do things like drive up the Poudre canyon which is beautiful. I like it here because I don't necessarily like living right in the mountains but at the same time I am within throwing distance of the mountains. There are really some great views here. My wife and I do go to Cheyenne. We live in Wellington so it is only about 40 miles away for us. It is not the best looking town but we enjoy Frontier Days and there is a chinese place we like to eat at there. It is also nice for grocery shopping and fuel because they don't have the tax that Colorado does. Well hope that helps.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
The whole Front Range is flat - it's in the plains. As far as scenery - yes, there are views of the mountains. That's pretty much what you get along the Front Range. Boulder has views of the foothills/flatirons. Since it's so close to the mountains, you do not see the mountains.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Fort Collins gets lots of points for being a great town, but to be honest it's not as scenic as Boulder or Colorado Springs, both of which enjoy a great vantage point for view of the mountains. In terms of scenery, it's similar to Metro Denver in that regard.

Fort Collins is very close to RMNP; the nearby town of Loveland is even closer. Both are closer than Boulder, which often advertises itself as "Gateway to RMNP" (mainly because you drive through Boulder on the way from Denver).

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Here's a shot I took last summer in Fort Collins, looking at the mountains in the afternoon from the CSU campus:

What you see in this picture is pretty much what the views are like there.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM

3 posts, read 18,471 times
I would have to agree, that in general that photo with the mtns in the background is about as good as the scenery gets unless you happen to catch one of the awesome sunsets (FC folks know what i am talking about), with the whisp of clouds and the sun going down behind the mountains. ALthough, within a 30 minute drive you will be up to your eyeballs literally in sceney! We took some family members up to Poudre canyon early in the summer one year they filled up both memory cards on their digital cameras taking pics!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Poudre Canyon west of Fort Collins is one of Colorado's nicest river canyons--that, in my opinion, is one of Fort Collins' main scenic attributes. You won't have it to yourself, especially on a summer weekend, though.

I will get flames for this one--especially from the newbies, but why the fixation on Rocky Mountain National Park? I would guess because it is well-known. Does it have some very nice scenery and backcountry? Yes. But it is a typical overcrowded national park in summer along any of the roads through it. As far as mountain scenery goes, it is not nearly as spectacular as a lot of lesser known areas in Colorado. On a scale of 1 to 10 for spectacular Colorado scenery, with 10 being the best, I would rate it about a 6. As a Colorado native, I am a lover of the Colorado mountains and have spent my whole life (half-century plus) exploring them--I only go to Rocky Mountain National Park if I have to. Much nicer places for me to spend my time.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times
Yeah, I'd much prefer to go to the uncompahgre wilderness myself, or the wet mountain range. MUCH more beautiful things to look at.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 18,889 times
I personally find the drive up to fort Collins along I-25 extremely ugly. It looks like a combination of farmland and a toxic waste dump. I do love how the city is designed, but after going to CSU for 4.5 years, there is no way I would want to stay there. Jobs are hard to find and they pay low. That's why I'm moving to Denver. It is the best option for me over Colorado Springs (where I was born and raised) and Fort Collins (my college town).

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Ft Col is close enough to "The Snowy Range" (west of Laramie), but without the wind of Laramie

They are my favorite Mountains.

The terrain near Box Canyon is pretty nice too (but are not 'Alpine' Mtns)

There is a pretty good variety of views, but from the town itself.... not great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area