Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 112,554 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Greeley and would like to know more about the town. I've spent a lot of time in Fort Collins, but never have been to Greeley. Any details regarding climate, people, cost of housing and such is appreciated. Is it like FC, or quite different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:47 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Greeley and Fort Collins are rather different. Use the Search this Forum tool with keyword GREELEY to find all the postings that are already here, and there is a fair amount.

s/Mike

Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 PM

220 posts, read 776,462 times
We visited Greeley for the first and last time recently. The smell of urea was so pungent that I couldn't believe anyone could endure it. If you like to people watch, visit one of the 7-11 type stores and you'll be an informed consumer....

Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
I'm in FC, and am looking to buy a home. In Greeley, you can get SO much home for the dollar, way more than FC or Loveland. At least as far as I can tell. I'm very tempted to go looking there - but my DH says absolutely not. We argue about it quite a bit. He has spent more time there than I have, he says the smell makes him nauseous from the feedlots. He is also bothered by the large 'illegal' population and just the other day his policeman friend told him of the gang activity in the area...... But being in FC I have met some really nice people from Greeley and people that say they like it there so it cant be all that bad. I've heard there is a 'good' part and a 'not so good' part of town. Hopefully someone from Greeley will come along and enlighten us.=-)

Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
You could look into Windsor as an alternative to Greeley. It's close to Greeley, Loveland, and Fort Collins, but it doesn't have the smell or the social issues that Greeley does. It's strictly a bedroom community, though.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I'd be very leery of buying in Greeley at this time.

If the current Swift & Co negotiations to sell the plant/brands goes through, the most likely buyers at this time would close the facility. That's a couple of thousand jobs directly and indirectly now employed in the area which would be lost, and an economic disaster for the community.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I'd be very leery of buying in Greeley at this time.

If the current Swift & Co negotiations to sell the plant/brands goes through, the most likely buyers at this time would close the facility. That's a couple of thousand jobs directly and indirectly now employed in the area which would be lost, and an economic disaster for the community.
Good point. Would these layoffs affect the rest of Northern CO and would you recommend buying in FC or Loveland at this time?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:25 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Fort Collins and along the Front Range are much more widely diversified economies than Greeley, so will remain stable through this time ... they represent much better values, even though more expensive to buy.

If the Greeley plant shuts down, it's likely that the area's housing will have a lot of distress sales in the near future. That could be an opportunity to buy at low prices, but you'll need an independent income (retirement?) because jobs will be scarce. This could lead to an economic resurgence similar to Grand Junction's after the oil shale industry crash ... when nice houses were going begging at $30,000 and are now worth many times that again.

Only my cloudy crystal ball at work here, but it's interesting that the possible sale of the Swift Company was from unsolicited offers from other capable/qualified meat companies ... strong enough offers to get the attention of Swift's corporate officers.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 AM

42 posts, read 247,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I'm in FC, and am looking to buy a home. In Greeley, you can get SO much home for the dollar, way more than FC or Loveland. At least as far as I can tell. I'm very tempted to go looking there - but my DH says absolutely not. We argue about it quite a bit. He has spent more time there than I have, he says the smell makes him nauseous from the feedlots. He is also bothered by the large 'illegal' population and just the other day his policeman friend told him of the gang activity in the area...... But being in FC I have met some really nice people from Greeley and people that say they like it there so it cant be all that bad. I've heard there is a 'good' part and a 'not so good' part of town. Hopefully someone from Greeley will come along and enlighten us.=-)

Greeley's not a bad place, ya it smells, but there's no harm in it. A lot of areas in Greeley are good, probably the west side of Greeley is the best, I'd say the north-northeast side is probably the worse. Anything North of 10th Street and East of 23rd Ave, is probably the most "ghetto" part, some of south Greeley is run down, Evans. But, it's not as bad as the north. As for the "Illegal" population, I think people get that confused with having a big hispanic population, there's some what of a race issue between Whites and Hispanic in this community. On the other hand, there are a lot of nice people here, I'm originally from a smaller community and I've met nicer people here in Greeley, then my so called friendly community back home. As for a gang problems, you hear about but you really dont see it, but there are pretty much gangs problems in every community and even Fort Collins.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,710 times
Default I live in Greeley

Hi I live in Greeley and just moved here about 6 months ago from central California where I lived in the country for my whole life, so living near other people was never an issue ...... I live on 11th Ave, near HWY 34 which is what would be considered I would say South East Greeley, Evans is only a few blocks away .......anyways my experience with Greeley has been pretty good, yes there is a stench at certain times of the week sometimes worse than others but it really isnt unbearable. Also since I have been here I havent seen or heard of any gang problems,if there is any North East Greeley probably would be where they are located. West Greeley is where I would buy property or a home if I was lookin to do so (currently renting) TRAVELING is somehting that you will want to think about when moving to Greeley ..... I-25 is a good 15 to 20 minutes (if smooth sailing) away. HWY 85 is not a bad way to travel but it is a little slower going. I guess i am just saying be aware of the fact you are 20 minutes away from a main N/S route ..... Overall Greeley is not a bad place. If money is your issue its not a bad place to hang your hat, if you have the extra money to buy something in FC or Loveland, I think it would be a bit wiser especially if you are commuting N/S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area