Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM

47 posts, read 426,528 times

Advertisements

I want to live very close to the ocean in a beach city. I like Miami Beach but it is a little pricey but more importantly, I'll be working in southern Broward County so Hallandale would be closer. Is it a cool place to live? I'm in my mid 20s but I actually prefer the sleepy beach town setting to the club infested land of South Beach. Also, what are rents like in some of the ocean or near oceanside apartments. What about Hollywood Beach near where the boardwalk is, also a nice place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitalive305 View Post
I want to live very close to the ocean in a beach city. I like Miami Beach but it is a little pricey but more importantly, I'll be working in southern Broward County so Hallandale would be closer. Is it a cool place to live? I'm in my mid 20s but I actually prefer the sleepy beach town setting to the club infested land of South Beach. Also, what are rents like in some of the ocean or near oceanside apartments. What about Hollywood Beach near where the boardwalk is, also a nice place?
Hollywood beach is pretty cool, I think you would love it if you are looking for a relatively laid back kind of lifeIts still pretty vibrant, though, especially in the winter when the (beware!) French Canadians come.could probably get a tiny clean apartment for around 1000 a month. Check out downtown Hollywood too, not far from the beach, and kind of has a funky, old Florida vibe. Pretty cool, doable at 850.Pick the right block, though, because some blocks are higher in crime. Also check out Sunny Isles Beach, I have seen rents there go for 800 a month, but keep in mind that its in Dade.Right on the border of Hallandle, though!Hallandale Beach is pretty nice, but a little congested and crowded, and I have no clue about prices.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 PM

thanks, big help! My grandparents live in Hollywood Beach and they seem to like it.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:46 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,336 times
I think you would like Hollywood beach better. Lovely little streets and small 1950's type apartments. If you chose something within downtown Hollywood, its only a short bike ride to the ocean.

The thing with Hallandale is that they changed the name to Hallandale Beach to attract people, but most of the city is not bordering the ocean, the same applies to Dania Beach.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the tip on Hallandale "Beach" haha. What about development as far as like...high rises go. Thats all you see in Miami Beach and Downtown Miami now, has that hit Hollywood Beach or likely to? I guess its unavoidable but i'd rather live somewhere that sees little of that type of stuff.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on Hallandale "Beach" haha. What about development as far as like...high rises go. Thats all you see in Miami Beach and Downtown Miami now, has that hit Hollywood Beach or likely to? I guess its unavoidable but i'd rather live somewhere that sees little of that type of stuff.
Hollywood is really nice because it is NOT spoiled by high rises!! The beach tends to be more midrise, but they are building tons of condos Downtown , which used to be mostly duplexes/single family homes, and even a few estates east of U.S 1.At least they are pretty looking condos and they do not seem to be spoiling the place completely (Yet).Still plenty of funky old Florida charm to be found in downtown Hollywood and along the broadwalk.

Old 07-14-2007, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 82,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
I think you would like Hollywood beach better. Lovely little streets and small 1950's type apartments. If you chose something within downtown Hollywood, its only a short bike ride to the ocean.

The thing with Hallandale is that they changed the name to Hallandale Beach to attract people, but most of the city is not bordering the ocean, the same applies to Dania Beach.
This is true. Did you know that Dania Beach does not even actually have any beachfront? I go to Hollywood beach all the time,the city has put a lot of money into renovating the area in the last 10 years or so. It's much better now than it was in the early 90's.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
Quote:
I hadn't seen this thread until it was just revived.

I live in Hallandale "Beach" currently since November. It has a decent chunk of oceanfront, so I think Beach can be thrown in there.

Hallandale Beach and Hollywood have a lot of similarities except for two things, where they meet the ocean and their downtown (or lack thereof for Hallandale Beach). Hallandale Beach's oceanfront is laced with plenty of high-rise condos and hotels so it feels a bit more urban. Hollywood's oceanfront has a long boardwalk which is currently being revamped, so it has more of a beach town feel. I can tell it used to be in rough shape, but it appears that a lot of effort is being made to restore it to former glory. Hollywood's downtown also has been getting a facelift. Plenty of trendy little shops and restaurants.

Rent in Hollywood and Hallandale Beach seems to be directly related to your proximity to the ocean (big surprise). You will occasionally find some cheap places near the ocean, but usually at the expense of size or cleanliness.

My only strong suggestion is to avoid anything between I-95 and US1. There are a few pockets of good areas in there, but they are the exception to the rule. So stick between US1 and the ocean and you'll be ok, closer to the ocean the better.

The downside to what I just said is that this area is normally an evacuation zone during a strong hurricane because of its proximity to the ocean, so if you move here, have an escape route!

Best of luck! PM me if you need anything

Last edited by eufo; 07-14-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention the downtown :)

Old 06-11-2017, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,449 times
Default Buying Property in the Hollywood/Hallandale Area

Hi,

I'm getting some good information from this thread so hopefully I can get some more guidance on the area.

We are looking to buy a one bedroom apartment in the area but we just not familiar with it, I mean we vacation there twice (Hollywood Beach) and we really enjoyed it but buying property is serious.

I gathered Hollywood is best because of the board walk and the downtown but really what is the difference between the two? (Hollywood vs Hallandale). Then you have Sunny Isles Beach, is this part of Hollywood?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Oscar

Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Hi Oscar

Just an FYI - the areas have changed significantly in the last 10 years when this thread was last active. (Like all of South Florida.. the concrete jungle keeps on growing and growing fast.)
Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area