Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM

46 posts, read 65,161 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a job listing and it seems too good to be true . I went on google earth and went to the area that the map is showing for the listing:
http://broward.jobing.com/standup-fo...hr/job/3576185
I don't see anything other than houses here. Of course, google earth's images are old. Does anyone know this area? I'm wondering if it's a legit building/job? It's right near the corner of NW. 91st and NW. 19th. But, like i said there are only houses there. i am in NY. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
It looks like EmpHire is an employment agency. It may be run out of someone's house. The job is likely elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM

Thanks Momma bear. Someone told me it's probably a temp service. I called and they would not give me any details over the phone. I don't mind spending the $ to come up for a interview. But, when they can't even tell u what company you would be working 4, forget it. I want to at least know if there are benefits and who the company is.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM

226 posts, read 483,516 times
My advice to you is this, There is a lot of scams going on in Florida.I did drive by the address listed and its in the hood. that area is a very bad area so Most lightly its a scam. by the way work in Florida is very slow right now.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 AM

226 posts, read 483,516 times
are you in NYC?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc8869 View Post
Thanks Momma bear. Someone told me it's probably a temp service. I called and they would not give me any details over the phone. I don't mind spending the $ to come up for a interview. But, when they can't even tell u what company you would be working 4, forget it. I want to at least know if there are benefits and who the company is.
I don't blame you. The job market here is slow (not dead, just slow) so you need to be prepared to jump on legitimate leads. However, you need to be careful about wasting money.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Definitely tons of scams here.
Have you signed up with any legit agencies down here?
Best of luck!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 PM

I am in rochester (western NY) which is about 1 hour(drive) east of buffalo. I am just in the process of looking at work right now to see what's down there. I have a house that I need to sell before I come down (if I do). I'm praying that I do because i have had it here with the grey cold days and being stuck in the house for 6 months. I also need a new start. Nothing but bad memories here. No kids,close family, etc. keeping me here so I can easily relocate. If I do make the move , it will probably be around spring. I'm going to be taking about a $20-30k paycut here also. I am looking at work such as the one in the listing. Simple blue collar. I know work is hard to find there at this time. But, what are my chances of getting something around $15 hourly in this field with benefits. I know publix pays good. I've heard there are other gigs there too. I have 17 years of experience in distribution/warehousing. I just need a little bit of luck. I am planning on possibly unloading my house very soon when I decide to commit. The thing is, I don't want to sell my house and then not be able to find a job there. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
With the amount of experience that you have in other jobs you should be able to get a well or at least decent paying job, although it will be difficult due to minimal economic improvements and still high unemployment rates (especially in South Florida). I'd just apply to lots of places - but always check if the company is legitimate (WOT, Google, BBB and general company review sites help; and avoid places w/o at least a bit of established reputation - as some of them might be fronts for frauds/scams) - around the areas that you personally like. In my case, I like the SW FL, Tampa metro, Palm Beach County, among others (just a FYI, all three areas that I've cited are here in FL).

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks Jacob. You are one person that I don't mind talking to! So much negativity is on these forums for people who are looking to relocate. One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not into big cars or houses, etc. I have a old 2000 beater van which runs great. I would probably get laughed at if I brought it down cause it's rusty. I have a small ranch (just under 1000 sq.ft). I wouldn't even mind a smaller house , say 500 sq.ft (I have to clean it) , but they are hard to find here in certain areas. I don't drink or smoke or go out to bars (much). So , I really don't spend a lot of money. I do have a motorcycle that is worth about $3500. I could see myself doing well with a half way decent job. Another thing is I'm not picky about where I live. But , the further south, the better. I'll go where I can get work. As long as it's safe and somewhat quiet I'll be in heaven. Of course , I would stay away from Miami (?) because of all the reading I've done on these forums. I don't speak spanish well either. I think northern florida gets too cold in dec./jan. If i lived in southern florida, i would have no need for a car and could get by with a motorcycle. I would ride it in the rain. I am not asking for a lot and I'm prepared to give up a better/ (easier) lifestyle to live there. The one thing i do want is a short commute (not more than 30 minutes). What are the chances of that? I would obviously have to take what I could get near the place of employment. I am a little worried about my age being a factor (43). I am a good looking person though and I'm in EXCELLENT shape and can probably outwork any 20 year old . I work for a fast paced company now. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area