Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:21 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There is a lady on these forums who is paying 750 a month for a one bedroom in Queens (her and her husband) so don't believe the hype about rents in NYC. .
I wonder what part of Queens. I lived briefly in Astoria and rents now are between 1500-2000 for a 1 br. Astoria was fine but it wasn't that great either

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 08-05-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
I wonder what part of Queens. I lived briefly in Astoria and rents now are between 1500-2000 for a 1 br. Astoria was fine but it wasn't that great either
I cant remember the posters name. I Think it was TNaples' daughter. My cousin rents a 2 bedroom in Corona for 1400. Not sure what 1s go for in his building.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I cant remember the posters name. I Think it was TNaples' daughter. My cousin rents a 2 bedroom in Corona for 1400. Not sure what 1s go for in his building.
T'Naples daughter is Racheal84 and she did live in Astoria.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
here link

Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Thanks. That sound really cheap, maybe she got lucky or prices are really coming down. I couldn't find those prices on the internet. Everything was above $1500 for 1br

Let's hope the same happens down here, but people don't want to drop prices. It would help people's standard of living. This place is ridiculous, a ghost town (I mean both Broward & Dade) when you compare it to places like Dallas. Horrible job market. Then you check people's income and many residents make below 20k. Outrageous. The only explanation is that they are living on government assistance. If those making below 20k continue to grow(either by babies having babies, immigration or transplants), this place eventually will be crime infested. Now I'm sounding like some people in this forum.

I guess you can get really bored when you have no money left to spend after you pay your rent or mortgage.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
IMO South FL is for the following people:

1. Young people who A) love the beach, and B) love to party
2. Rich people
3. Northeasterners who aren't phased by the traffic and crime
4. people who like warm climates over cold weather

South FL is NOT for:
1. Middle-aged and middle-class people looking for a laid-back life, good job, and good schools.
2. old people
3. Mid-westerners and people from rural areas who aren't used to a faster-paced lifestyle, aggressive drivers, crime, and Hispanics
4. people who aren't into partying or going to the beach.
5. people who cannot tolerate heat and humidity.
6. people who are "cultured".
You hit the nail on the head for me.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,054 times
i'm not sure if i agree with the people who are cultured part... I mean floridians may not be as cultured as someone from brooklyn but they have their own level.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 405,554 times
There is a VERY wide spread in rentals in NYC. Some apts are "rent-controlled" with rents set and s-l-o-w-l-y raised since WWII. The original tenants might be long gone but the rent is still controlled if someone can prove they lived there at the time of the "original" tenants passing.
There are also "rent stabilized" apartments, also with rent regulated but not as tightly (3-5% increase every few years) as "rent controlled". Those also go into the free market when the rent stabilized tenant leaves. This was set up after WWII and ended in the '80's (if my memory is correct).
Bottom line, yes, these apartment rentals exist BUT they are almost impossible to get unless you were practically raised in one and didn't move out, married someone who was or luck into a sub-lease with a not-too-bright landlord.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffeer View Post
There is a VERY wide spread in rentals in NYC. Some apts are "rent-controlled" with rents set and s-l-o-w-l-y raised since WWII. The original tenants might be long gone but the rent is still controlled if someone can prove they lived there at the time of the "original" tenants passing.
There are also "rent stabilized" apartments, also with rent regulated but not as tightly (3-5% increase every few years) as "rent controlled". Those also go into the free market when the rent stabilized tenant leaves. This was set up after WWII and ended in the '80's (if my memory is correct).
Bottom line, yes, these apartment rentals exist BUT they are almost impossible to get unless you were practically raised in one and didn't move out, married someone who was or luck into a sub-lease with a not-too-bright landlord.
While what you say is true, it is not the entire picture. If you are born and raised in NYC as I have always said, you can find affordable rents. I can walk into a 3 bedroom apartment in brownstone right now if I so desired (If I was still living in NYC). A lot of these places are not advertised though and thats where coming from the community and knowing people comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetkidd View Post
i'm not sure if i agree with the people who are cultured part... I mean floridians may not be as cultured as someone from brooklyn but they have their own level.
Wait till you get down here and live full time for a year or two

*no disrespect to my floridians

Old 09-04-2009, 05:46 PM

18 posts, read 44,716 times
Default heyy..Wildstyle???

Wildstyle...I am currently a resident of Brooklyn, New York and I disagree with most of what you say! LOL NYC is for the very wealthy. The middle class and the working class are forced tp live in the outer boroughs and all of those magical events and places that you say we all go to visit - is just not true....after getting off of work and hopping on the hot crowded train...no one is interested in getting back on the train and entering the city to see the sights...that is for the tourists or the people that actually live in the city! Also, I have never ever heard of anyone living in a 1 br in NYC for $750....unless it was an illegal basment apt. A standard, decent 1 br in NY will run you no less than 1000K a month...my friend just got a reasonable 2br for $1500 a month...anything cheaper is in a rat infested ghetto. I am dying to get out of this place...in addition NYC is extremely segregated...I coud go on and on...but you make the place sound like a wonderland and it really IS NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area