Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendalah View Post
Wildstyle...I am currently a resident of Brooklyn, New York and I disagree with most of what you say! LOL NYC is for the very wealthy. The middle class and the working class are forced tp live in the outer boroughs and all of those magical events and places that you say we all go to visit - is just not true....after getting off of work and hopping on the hot crowded train...no one is interested in getting back on the train and entering the city to see the sights...that is for the tourists or the people that actually live in the city! Also, I have never ever heard of anyone living in a 1 br in NYC for $750....unless it was an illegal basment apt. A standard, decent 1 br in NY will run you no less than 1000K a month...my friend just got a reasonable 2br for $1500 a month...anything cheaper is in a rat infested ghetto. I am dying to get out of this place...in addition NYC is extremely segregated...I coud go on and on...but you make the place sound like a wonderland and it really IS NOT!
I don't know where you are from originally but I am FROM brooklyn born and raised. My family is still Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and parts of Harlem. My cousin lives off of nostrand avenue near Stirling ave and his building is filled with african americans, carribeans, jews, latinos etc. He pays 800 a month for his one bedroom, and nope, no rats. I know two people who rent brownstones in Bed Stuy one on Madison and one on Decatur both rent for 1,000 a month (three bedroom). Have a cousin who rents a two bedroom in Lefrett for 1100 a month. Rats, nope. I have walked through there late at night, never been mugged, jumped, robbed etc.

If you don't go out and enjoy the city then thats your problem but me and my family did it all the time. My cousins and aunts and uncles still to do it. Sorry to hear your not happy with your situation, hope it gets better for you. But for us natives, having fun in NYC and living comfortable isn't a problem. Also as stated there is a girl here (I linked to the post earlier) who lives in Astoria and pays 750 for her one bedroom. If you can't find good rents in NYC then maybe you shoud find a native who can explain to you how to find a decent place to live. Also I have a cousin on S.I. who rents a one bedroom for 800 a month. So again, not sure where you are coming from with your statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 06:58 AM

18 posts, read 44,716 times
This is hilarious and I wish my friends could join in on this convo...the areas that y ou listed above are NOT desirable at the very least...Nostrand and Sterling LMAOOOOOO I am going to post pictures...it is dirty, packed and depressing in that neighborhood. NYC may have lots to do...HOWEVER, at the end of the day you have to com eback home to your apt in the hood...with no scenery, backyard, amenities or anything...what kind of restaurants do they havbe in those neighborhoods besides NY fried chicken, the pizza shp, the chineese restaurant and lets not forget the liquor store...yipeee...you have to sit on a train to go out and venture to experience nice things because THEY WILL NOTTTTTTTTTTTTT be in your neighborhood! By the way, I AM BORN AND RAISED in NY...grew up in Jamaica Queens, now live in Brooklyn, NY...so you are no more of a NEw York native than me. People here have NO quality of life where they live AT ALL...yes you make money, but you cant even get a chance to enjoy it..the place where you lay your head should be peaceful, spacious and beautiful and that is not the case for MOST working class or middle class folk in NEW YORK...please stop selling these people a dream! lol

Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 AM

And it is IMPOSSIBE to rent a 1 bedroom in ASTORIA fpr $750...unless it is somebody's rat infested dingy basement! And a 3 br in Bed Stuy...that is an absolute rarity...is that some kind of subsidized housing? I find that extremely hard to believe! Where am I coming from? I come from experience. Also, I am so sorry that you are not happy where you are...I hope it gets better for you as well hun!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
And it is IMPOSSIBE to rent a 1 bedroom in ASTORIA fpr $750...unless it is somebody's rat infested dingy basement! And a 3 br in Bed Stuy...that is an absolute rarity...is that some kind of subsidized housing? I find that extremely hard to believe! Where am I coming from? I come from experience. Also, I am so sorry that you are not happy where you are...I hope it gets better for you as well hun!
oh

Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell242 View Post
Downtown Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Miami, and South Beach are all very different. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Realistically people are lazy....all 3 areas are within 20 minutes of each other. I drive from Victoria Park to Key Biscayne (end of I95 South) for work...so it's a piece of cake for going out and having fun. I think the club scene here is better than NY anyway (at least since Tunnel closed). Better variety of music (there is no electro, breaks, or Miami Bass in NYC)!

How fast do you DRIVE? Are you the one passing me by > 20 mph when I'm already doing 70 on I95 ??? It takes me a half hour to get from Aventura to Key Biscayne with no traffic.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
And it is IMPOSSIBE to rent a 1 bedroom in ASTORIA fpr $750...
Maybe everyone is confused. I just checked Craigslist.... you can rent a BEDROOM in a larger apartment in Astoria for $600!

Studio apts advertised as available for $750 on Craigslist in the same area "near the train." No Pictures. Hmm.....

Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Default lol

EXACTLY - if you saw the pics you would run very fast! LOL Trust me

Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Maybe everyone is confused. I just checked Craigslist.... you can rent a BEDROOM in a larger apartment in Astoria for $600!

Studio apts advertised as available for $750 on Craigslist in the same area "near the train." No Pictures. Hmm.....
Everyone?? No, but SOMEONE sure is. First it was there are no apartments for that price, then it turns into the must be rat holes, blah blah blah *chuckle*

Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 AM

Default lol

ur just upset that an actual native New Yorker opposes what you have to say...lol I consider an apt somewhere that is liveable...I have seen people in NY rent the left side of a garage, no kitchen and advertise it as a 1 BR! I have been here all my life so I know...just because it is advertised does not mean that it is legit...I stand by what I have to say...stop selling dreams Wild Style...your gig is up! HA

Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

no way in HELL that you can get a nice one bedroom in Astoria for 600. Prior to us moving to Florida (while we were still planning on living in NY), we looked into Astoria and a nice one bedroom would go from 1200, not less, anything less then that is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area