Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 26,690 times

Advertisements

Moving , I would really like to be close to the beach and not in same "nice neighborhood" I can find in any other American city. Is there a community with good public schools close to the beach ? I know I am asking for the impossible....
Thank you for your advice !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,992 times
Check out the Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach area on Florida's north Atlantic coast. Nothing down here unless you want to consider magnet schools.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,379,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Check out the Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach area on Florida's north Atlantic coast. Nothing down here unless you want to consider magnet schools.
what about Miami Beach?

*I know NOTHING about the quality of the schools over there*

Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,675 times
Depending on where you are coming from...everything is close to the beach. Victoria Park area of FT. Laud will put you into a public Montessori school. The Florinada area/ Florinada elem. North Andrews area of Ft Laud will get you into North Andrews Gardens elem. Check boundaies 1st.

Last edited by fauve; 06-06-2009 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Edit out professional contact info

Old 06-06-2009, 03:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
what about Miami Beach?

*I know NOTHING about the quality of the schools over there*

Miami Beach Elem is okay, but the middle and high schools are not great. I'd say the same thing about Surfside, except Surfside Elem is excellent.

To OP, I was also just looking at New Smyrna Beach. The high school there is A rated, and the property values are incredible, even those that are less than a block from the beach. It has an adorable downtown with historic homes in walking distance too. It seems to be much harder hit by the housing crash than here, because every other house I looked at on realtor.com was a short sale/pre-foreclosure. There are over 1000 homes for sale in a pretty small area. I'm actually thinking of going up there next weekend to look at houses.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:34 PM

326 posts, read 1,454,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaWoodward View Post
Victoria Park area of FT. Laud will put you into a public Montessori school.
Actually, the Montessori Magnet is a lottery system. If you live in Victoria Park you are not automatically admitted: you still have to go through the lottery like everyone else.

Coral Ridge in FTL feeds into Bayview elementary, which is better than average in Broward.

The problem in Broward is the middle school. Once your kids get over 5th grade, there is nothing good, apparently, along the coast.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 14,950 times
There are beaches everywhere in south florida. Just pick a neighborhood, go east and chances are you are minutes from any beach. Hollywood Beach, Hallandale Beach, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Deerfield Beach, endless...

Old 12-03-2009, 07:25 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times
I keep hearing that the HS in east Broward are not good, but am wondering if one or two are halfway decent. How bad are they?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,926,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Actually there is Boca Raton.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,926,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I keep hearing that the HS in east Broward are not good, but am wondering if one or two are halfway decent. How bad are they?
Northeast is okay, and Fort Lauderdale High is good academically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area