Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 AM

376 posts, read 911,027 times

Advertisements

Well, cheap is a relative term ... maybe the title should be 'Frugal Dining on Sanibel'. Anyway, the best deals are during low season. Here are a few ways of dining out for less:

* buy the Kiwanis dinner book in April for 30 bucks...there are dozens of BOGO coupons, all for Sanibel or Captiva restaurants.

* check the Island Sun weekly... pick one up at the visitors center when you first enter Sanibel.. this week has a buy one, get one half price for Sweet Melissa's and for Twilight Cafe.

* happy hours are a great way to have a small meal and a few drinks. My fav spots are Matzaluna's (not on HH menu but ask for pizza slice for 99 cents), McT's (HH starts at 11 am) & the Jacaranda, affectionately known as the Jac to locals.

we always end up at the Jac because their HH ends at 7pm... apps are $5.95 & include snow crab legs, steamed shrimp, beef satay etc etc.

* Scnapper's Hots has summer specials that are amazing... best burger around, with fries for about 6 bucks.

* Bailey's grocery store has a hot case and a bowl of chili is about 2 bucks.

* being friendly with staff at local places is a big plus.

* order the nachos at key lime bistro on Captiva... big enough for 2 people and you get to soak up all the ambience for a measly 12 bucks.

* Island Cow has yummy beans & rice for 7 bucks.

* blueberry pancakes at the Lighthouse restaurant for breakfast

* pack a cooler & snacks ~ head to Blind Pass to watch the sunset, free & priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM

204 posts, read 628,913 times
GREAT post! I can not wait to experience this as an adult We went on vacation to Sanibel when I was younger but it's not quite the same as living nearby and going on a date there with your husband!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:49 AM

Move ~ you mentioned you were on Sanibel when you were younger. Please update us with your impressions after your next visit. Spouse & I came here for the first time in the 80's.... it's amazing to us how little the island has changed in 20+ years.

Now, Ft Myers has changed dramatically, no doubt about it. But, Sanibel still has the same feel to it, a few more houses and a few less trees, thx to Charlie. But, all in all, the same sleepy town.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Now, Ft Myers has changed dramatically, no doubt about it. But, Sanibel still has the same feel to it, a few more houses and a few less trees, thx to Charlie. But, all in all, the same sleepy town.
Even in just a few years... with the addition of the flyovers... I didn't recognize the roads we were on.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Move ~ you mentioned you were on Sanibel when you were younger. Please update us with your impressions after your next visit. Spouse & I came here for the first time in the 80's.... it's amazing to us how little the island has changed in 20+ years.

Will do and I can't wait! I remember what a wonderful impression the area left on me and no doubt in my mind that will not change...do you live there or nearby?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM

We moved to Lee County in Sep of '08 & rented for a few months in Ft Myers ... then, we bought over on Sanibel in May of '09. It is paradise here & we love it ~ wishing you the best!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
We moved to Lee County in Sep of '08 & rented for a few months in Ft Myers ... then, we bought over on Sanibel in May of '09. It is paradise here & we love it ~ wishing you the best!
Thank you and you are sooo lucky! Nauseatingly lucky I remember it being truly paradise and I also remember there was a couple of alligators living in the water in front of the condo we stayed at...they left a note in the rental saying not to try and feed them and to be careful because they can run as fast as a car for short distances! I remember thinking this was interesting because we had nothing like it in Illinois

Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,588 times
Hmmm... This is going to make me sound even older than I feel: Last year I visited Sanibel for the first time in 50 (...52?) years. And YES, things were just (ahem) a little different! Right off the bat, we
could drive over the causeway and bridge rather than ride a ferry. As a kid, that was my first ferry ride. I remember high quality shells knee-high (to a kid) in piles along the high-water mark... sadly, no more.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTransition View Post
Hmmm... This is going to make me sound even older than I feel: Last year I visited Sanibel for the first time in 50 (...52?) years. And YES, things were just (ahem) a little different! Right off the bat, we
could drive over the causeway and bridge rather than ride a ferry. As a kid, that was my first ferry ride. I remember high quality shells knee-high (to a kid) in piles along the high-water mark... sadly, no more.
Is ther still a ferry?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM

CapeTransition ~ WOW!! I'd love to hear more about Sanibel from back in the day... a local told me the speed limit on SanCap Rd used to be 60 mph.

Shelling is a hit & miss venture now... Cayo Costa is my fav place to find great specimens. I've noticed the best times of year to shell are early winter. You never know what's going to be on the beach!

There is no ferry anymore, just a $6 toll, compliments of Lee County then a causeway ride over.

BTW we purchased a VERY humble place here on Sanibel... could've bought a huge home in CC or South Ft Myers for the same $$$ but decided this is where we want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area