Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTumbarello View Post
Here is 2011 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B03...UzYTc5NTQ0YmQx

Here is 2010 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B03...MyNzVkNzMyMzM4

this data was exported from the mls, culled for dups and then trended with excel

I can't open 2nd either but what a great breakdown of town to town in comparison. pretty clear that lehigh is dragging prices down. Hopefully Jeff will make this a monthly contribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,095,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
You Sound like a broken record.
but I like the song it's playing ... Move equal Move.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Kev, on another thread the link works...

//www.city-data.com/forum/22128532-post28.html

I see you found it but I'm going to leave this up for anyone else.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22128532-post28.html

Here's the link that should be used.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...yMzM4&hl=en_US

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM

70 posts, read 120,337 times
What you are seeing is the investors leave the market. I think they are being replaced by boomers. The money in motion is not going down. That is one of the keys to watch. The ratios of price increaseyear over year looke a lot like late 2003 from a statistical perspective. What I donot get is the world love affair with rising prices. Until recently real estate was never a large part of the GDP. It was a place to live and put your business. Rising prices kills investment and disposable income. Just wait till leverage returns to the market.......

Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:
What you are seeing is the investors leave the market. I think they are being replaced by boomers. The money in motion is not going down. That is one of the keys to watch. The ratios of price increaseyear over year looke a lot like late 2003 from a statistical perspective. What I donot get is the world love affair with rising prices. Until recently real estate was never a large part of the GDP. It was a place to live and put your business. Rising prices kills investment and disposable income. Just wait till leverage returns to the market.......
I don't care if prices don't go up. It only will increase my property taxes. The problem is when prices go down. People feel poorer, stop spending and that hurts the economy. Even investors should be happy with stable home prices. They should have some cash flow and are paying down their mortgages even without appreciation.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
I haven't read the other recent posts yet, so this is only in response to the topic, not any particular comment. I apologize if the links below have already been posted.

Anyway, I don't know why this subject has been a continuous argument on this forum. If someone is seriously looking for a home and finds the right property, it's not difficult to run some comps, checkout the MLS to see what the average price/sf is in the area, and read about the latest sales trends in the surrounding area. Like politics, everything else is just an opinion.

For example, this article is from Nov 2011, only one month ago.

[url=http://247wallst.com/2011/11/16/the-cities-where-people-finally-want-to-buy-homes/3/]The Cities Where People Finally Want to Buy Homes - 24/7 Wall St.[/url]

"There is arguably no single housing market with a worse outlook than southwest Florida, and Cape Coral-Fort Myers is the hardest-hit area. Housing prices here have already dropped 59.3% from their peak, and Fiserv projects a further decline of 12.2% by the second quarter of next year. According to Corelogic, 47% of the homes in the Cape Coral-Fort Myers area are worth less than their mortgages. Foreclosures have increased 35% in the last quarter. However, the long-term outlook may be better than these figures suggest. Real estate agents are giving “foreclosure tours” to show homes that are now worth 40% or less of what they were just five years ago, and the number of people looking for homes in the area is nearly double the number looking to leave."

The same data was used by Kiplinger in November.

[url=http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/2011/01/when-home-prices-will-head-up.html]Housing Outlook 2011: When Home Prices Will Head Up[/url]

This following article is from Dec 2011. In fact, it was just published today, and predicts that home prices in Florida will continue to fall.

[url=http://www.housingpredictor.com/2012/florida.html]Florida, Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa, Naples, Orlando, Fort Myers, Fort Lauderdale[/url]

"The foreclosure crisis has riddled the economy in major sections of Florida, including Fort Myers, which has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Troubled homeowners, many of whom have lost their jobs and who have been unable to reach agreements with their banks to modify mortgages are leaving their homes abandoned in Fort Myers and neighboring Cape Coral, departing to find work elsewhere. Fort Myers is forecast to lose another 6.8% in home prices in 2012."

Yet just 4 months ago in August, Bankrate called Cape Coral-Fort Myers "one of the bright spots" with a 17.9% rise in home values.

[url=http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mortgages/home-values-fall-with-a-few-bright-spots.aspx]Home values fall, with a few bright spots | Bankrate.com[/url]

In summary, if I were planning to buy a home in Cape Coral, I wouldn't let any of these opinions affect my judgment if I thought it was the right home and location for me and the price was reasonable. Just do your homework.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't care if prices don't go up. It only will increase my property taxes. The problem is when prices go down. People feel poorer, stop spending and that hurts the economy. Even investors should be happy with stable home prices. They should have some cash flow and are paying down their mortgages even without appreciation.
Dead. On.

Quote:
I lived through the boom in that area and it wasn't pretty. I've beaten a dead horse for years on here about this. I often get the feeling from some people that they believe in their heart of hearts that the price boom will happen again. I think it was a one-off and further, Lee County is far better off without it. For decades the area did fine, in fact flourished, without the crazy prices. There was a very, very small appreciation and it was perfect, a nice, quiet area to live or retire. When prices went up it priced out a lot of retirees, then the working class, the service people, the cops, teachers, public servants. When we moved away in 2005 the business section of The News Press did a story on my family's being priced out of the market and being forced to move. The place just wasn't liveable, anymore and my then-husband had lived in the area with his very large family for 25 years.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 212,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't care if prices don't go up. It only will increase my property taxes. The problem is when prices go down. People feel poorer, stop spending and that hurts the economy.
I agree fully. I'd also much rather our (soon to be) house down there stays at its current assessed value than go back up to a half million dollars+ in value. We are not looking to flip for a profit...

It is a fact prices are going up, at least right now. It is from the top (most desirable, but not necessarily the price point) down. Good gulf access, then distant gulf access, then newer freshwater access, then 33914 zip/newer off-water, then on down the line. Investors are still snapping up the good deals and holding them while sprucing them up for a flip for profit. Sad thing is that they are holding these properties back from regular buyers who will actually use and occupy the properties now and be there eating in restaurants, shopping, and otherwise feeding the economy. Meanwhile that further shrinks inventory driving the prices up for everyone else in the short term. I think there will be a spike and then a correction/leveling off next spring.

All one needs to do is try to shop (there- in person) for a good gulf access or other decent property. It's a friggin feeding frenzy. I'm sure the realtors here can attest to that...

Old 12-16-2011, 09:36 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post
I agree fully. I'd also much rather our (soon to be) house down there stays at its current assessed value than go back up to a half million dollars+ in value. We are not looking to flip for a profit...

It is a fact prices are going up, at least right now. It is from the top (most desirable, but not necessarily the price point) down. Good gulf access, then distant gulf access, then newer freshwater access, then 33914 zip/newer off-water, then on down the line. Investors are still snapping up the good deals and holding them while sprucing them up for a flip for profit. Sad thing is that they are holding these properties back from regular buyers who will actually use and occupy the properties now and be there eating in restaurants, shopping, and otherwise feeding the economy. Meanwhile that further shrinks inventory driving the prices up for everyone else in the short term. I think there will be a spike and then a correction/leveling off next spring.

All one needs to do is try to shop (there- in person) for a good gulf access or other decent property. It's a friggin feeding frenzy. I'm sure the realtors here can attest to that...
I am not necessarily happy to hear about frenzied buying by investors. For one thing investors are most likely getting mortgages, which means they could get foreclosed on some day creating another housing crisis. Also, owners often make better neighbors than tenants.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:06 AM

Investors and the flipping craze started this entire mess. The average joe thinking they could buy a house that they could turn around and sell added to the situation. And of course the banks taking all of those shaky loans and selling them as derivatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area